ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 2019 wrx limited owner here. Ive been researching on mods to make on my new car and was interested in upgrading to a jpipe and invidia r400 exhaust with a cobb accessport. I would love to hear the crackle/pop sound.. Any comments?
Also:
Are there any other steps that need to be taken such as additional changes to make sure the car would run at an optimal level with the new upgrades?
Where exactly does one do research about modifying your wrx. Id love to read more and make sure I'm not over-doing any modification and gain further knowledge.

·
Premium Member
10,803 Posts
A 2019 wrx limited owner here. Ive been researching on mods to make on my new car and was interested in upgrading to a jpipe and invidia r400 exhaust with a cobb accessport. I would love to hear the crackle/pop sound.. Any comments?
Also:
Are there any other steps that need to be taken such as additional changes to make sure the car would run at an optimal level with the new upgrades?
Where exactly does one do research about modifying your wrx. Id love to read more and make sure I'm not over-doing any modification and gain further knowledge.
You'd be insane to modify a vehicle still under warranty.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I always get a headache when someone buys a new car and them promptly flushes the warranty. Why buy a new car if you are going to flush the warranty? Why not buy a car that is a couple of years old, maybe with a little warranty left and then start to modify the car. It isn't just Subie folks. I've seen people buy a new ZL1 1LE and immediately add a bigger blower. Well, it is your money. I would suggest a $10,000 cash reserve for possible problems in the future.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not adding a completely new turbo kit lol. Only thing that voids warranty is the accessport but u can readjust it back anyways. An exhaust does not void warranty since it does not damage any other components. Im reaching out and asking more experienced owners for safer steps to modify.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Pretty sure the dealer would know if you tune then reflash to stock. Unless you want excessive pops & crackle even an axle back would add sone of it. I had the nameless 5in mufflers on both a 17 wrx & a 16 sti & they would crackle/ pop a bit on downshift. No tune needed for cat back or just muffler.

·
Premium Member
10,803 Posts
Not adding a completely new turbo kit lol. Only thing that voids warranty is the accessport but u can readjust it back anyways. An exhaust does not void warranty since it does not damage any other components. Im reaching out and asking more experienced owners for safer steps to modify.
That's entirely false every bit of it.

Modifying does not void your warranty. It will cause certain claims to be denied. For example modifying the downpipe will result in any warranty claim for the engine, exhaust, and turbo to be denied. However you have a caliper freeze it'll still be covered.

When you go in with your returned to stock car and they see the obvious signs of modifications then plug the factory scan tool into the vehicle and see that it was flashed recently they are going to hand you a bill for any engine work that needed done.

Now, is the likelihood of damage from a downpipe and tune super high? No not really but it isn't unheard of. Seeing as replacing the engine can be a multi thousand dollar adventure you'd be advised to just go and buy a faster car that has a warranty at the power and performance you want.

·
Æternum
20,380 Posts
For your own sake, you may wish to rethink your approach. I don't think you fully appreciate the risk.

·
Registered
274 Posts
In July, 2017 I was standing about 20 feet from Al Oppenheiser at Bowling Green, KY during CamaroFest. Al O told the crowd; "Keep the car stock. Take it to the track or the strip. If you break it, we'll fix it. If you modify the car, we'll know it. Even a CAI (cold air intake). You will be on your own then." I actually have a good bit of this on video.

My point is that with the computerization of modern cars, there is no way to conceal modifications. With those modifications comes the probability of a warranty claim denial.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts