ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 17 years old just got my first 2002 Subaru WRX 2.0L. It is BONE stock and I need some educated answers on how to safely upgrade it. I'm not looking for 400 horsepower or an engine rebuild. But stuff like turbos, intercoolers, fuel injectors, exhaust systems, etc. Any ideas or experience please let me know o what to do or direct me to specific parts. Thank you so much!

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
Start with a catless uppipe, turbo back exhaust and a tune. That should be more than enough and you'll feel a decent power gain. Keep that for a while and then move on to turbos, injectors, etc

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any suggestions on the catless uppipe or turbo back exhaust? And do i have to get a professional to tune? If so where would i go for that?

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
Just a forewarning, this thread will be moved to the appropriate forum (probably Everyday Impreza Talk?) once a mod notices it. This forum is for technical issues pertaining to the website itself.

So when it seems like your thread disappeared, it just took a road trip :)

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
You can get a handheld device (Cobb accessport) or get a professional tune. Not sure where you can go because you didn't mention your location :)

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,466 Posts
I'm 17 years old just got my first 2002 Subaru WRX 2.0L. It is BONE stock and I need some educated answers on how to safely upgrade it.
You do not need a tune if you limit your modifications to exhaust components.

You do not need an up pipe but it's not a bad idea, unless you try doing it yourself; then it will still not be a bad idea but you will need band aids for your knuckles, replacement studs and bolts for those you break, solvent to soak the bolts and try to get them loose, and you will likely say things that are not appropriate for someone your age -- or mine for that matter. You'll say these things very loudly and very angrily.

If you do get a tune, get an up pipe.

The brands are not very relevant. Get something used if you are short on $.

·
29,466 Posts
By the way, exhaust (up and down pipe) modifications will generate a CEL each. You will have to fix these either mechanically if you do not get a tune, or maybe electonically if you do get a tune. Your choice. Follow the link in my signature.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey thanks. I literally laughed out loud in the middle of my school library. But yeah I already saved the acronym file and it has been very useful. So the CEL will automatically come on due to a new part? What does a used up/down pipe run usually? I'm not trying to get the best, but i dont want to take shortcuts that'll end up hurting me in the long run.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also I was told a catless down pipe and up pipe are what i want so the dont get sucked into my turbo. But it says there only legal offroad? Is it kinda just takin my chances?

·
29,466 Posts
The up pipe has an EGT sensor in it that is deleted when you replace the stock part. The CEL can be fixed with a resistor or electronically. Up pipes run ~$150+ new, less used, and free if you gut the stock pipe.

The down pipe has an O2 sensor in it that will generated a different CEL when the part is replaced. It can be fixed with a spacer or electronically. Down pipes cost ~$250+ new, less used, and free if you gut the stock pipe.

Prices are approximate +/- $100 or so. Check out the used ads and the site vendors. Use factory Subaru gaskets from the dealer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The up pipe has an EGT sensor in it that is deleted when you replace the stock part. The CEL can be fixed with a resistor or electronically. Up pipes run ~$150+ new, less used, and free if you gut the stock pipe.

The down pipe has an O2 sensor in it that will generated a different CEL when the part is replaced. It can be fixed with a spacer or electronically. Down pipes cost ~$250+ new, less used, and free if you gut the stock pipe.

Prices are approximate +/- $100 or so. Check out the used ads and the site vendors. Use factory Subaru gaskets from the dealer.

Ok, is it better to go catted or catless?

·
29,466 Posts
The fastest Subarus in the world have a cat.

However, many people go catless, thinking there is more power to be had etc. Your call but keep in mind that removing a cat con will make the car illegal anywhere in the United States for use on a public road.

Another thought, incidentally, is to leave the car alone and work on the maintenance, which for a 2002 is substantial if not already done (look for timing belt and water pump threads, for example, plus spark plugs and so on). If your car doesn't need this stuff and is in tip-top shape, only then consider modifying.

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
The cat can break up and go into the turbo. That's why it's usually recommended to change that first to a catless one. Not sure of the chances of it happening. I know it's happened to a handful of people. Better to be safe than sorry though

·
29,466 Posts
The cat you speak of is in the up pipe. The chances of it happening seem quite small but they do exist. If I were to modify my car (I have the same model as you) I would do the up pipe if I were to do something like get a tune, since the latter will almost invariably increase boost. Your call.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Chance.Briggs said:
I read that the torbo can suck up the cat. I dont want that, what are th chances of that happening?
I've seen it first-hand. In that case, the uppipe and turbo were both replaced under warranty. It is more likely to happen on higher-mileage cars, however, after the warranty on ECDs have expired.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts