ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got a Subaru after many years of wanting one. In December of 2011 I had 10,000 dollars to spend on a car of my choice so for 8500 I picked up my Stock 02 WRX with 122,000 miles on it.
IMG_0775.jpg

Initial Mods within the first few weeks were
Invidia Up pipe
Invidia Bellmouth catted Downpipe
Invidia Exhaust
COBB SF Intake

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Giving the Engine bay a rest I attacked the Driveline and suspension next.
First Added Kartboy front and rear Shifter Bushings. I was hooked.
Next I replaced the transmission Mount with the Group N Mount and TIC crossmember Bushings
Next i added Group N Pitch Stop Mount (Its crap and i will be swapping it for something beefier)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Added COBB Heat shield box and the stock intake duct (previous owner had it removed)
Eibach Pro Kit with rear camber bolts, Kartboy rear subframe lockdown bolts, Kartboy rear subframe outrigger bushings, TIC rear Diff mount bushings.
This is how she sits today.
IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Nice!

Ditch the BOV :)

·
Registered
966 Posts
Nice!

Ditch the BOV :)
Mikie, not sure if you know the answer to this, but if the BPV is more effective then the BOV (i've read all the threads, the summary I understand is, the BPV re-uses the pressure and has it available for the engine quicker, and the BOV gets rid of it, causing the turbo to have to create more) Basically my question is, in what situation is the BOV better then the BPV? i was thinking the BPV would be better no matter what situation. But I guess maybe like a quick spooling turbo, it doesn't matter? I'm lost, please explain if you know.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Mikie, not sure if you know the answer to this, but if the BPV is more effective then the BOV (i've read all the threads, the summary I understand is, the BPV re-uses the pressure and has it available for the engine quicker, and the BOV gets rid of it, causing the turbo to have to create more) Basically my question is, in what situation is the BOV better then the BPV? i was thinking the BPV would be better no matter what situation. But I guess maybe like a quick spooling turbo, it doesn't matter? I'm lost, please explain if you know.
In most instances a BOV won't be better, period. Usually they are only used in much higher horsepower situations where boost will be raised significantly higher. The stock BPV on 02-07 models are good to about 20-22psi before they run into a possibility of leaking boost. And on the 2008-2012 models, the BPV is actually known to be a lot weaker from what I've read. Replacing with aftermarket recirculating BPVs aren't a bad idea for an upgrade if you start pushing Stage 2 power levels, which usually is higher than 19psi in STIs (17psi or so in WRXs I believe).

BOVs can be run if the intake metering is changed from MAF, (which we currently have which pre-meters the air, accounting for the recirculated air pushed in from a BPV) to a MAP set up, which is manifold absolute pressure (aka Speed Density). The ECU would read the air already in the manifold as opposed to the air being metered in from the intake, in which case it wouldn't matter if the recirculated BPV charge was in there or not.

The BPV generally doesn't have anything to do with the spooling of the turbo...only with the discharging of excess pressure during shifting.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts