ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I did also post this to NASIOC as I do find both of these forums really helpful!

Been a while since I posted since I was trying to do my own research more and not ask the same questions.

I am a a bit of a crossroads and would like some advice on how others have proceeded in similar situations to mine.

As you all know, I live in NZ and have a JDM 2001 WRX, fairly stock. Recently have put STI wing and Scoop on it in preparation for upgrading turbo.

Originally, I planned to do DOwnpipe, VF30, STI Pink injectors, STI TMIC and Walbro 255 and tune, but then changed my mind to just doing downpipe to save funds.

I chose this because I bought car for 8k, and I calculated that including parts and labour and tuning, it was going to be around 15 - 17k NZD total (including the original 8k I bought car for), to do the upgrade and tuning.

In NZ, V7 STIs sell for around 15 - 18 averagely, tho have seen some go as low as 12 - 14k, withg V8s usually 20 - 25k.

So, I decided to just do a downpipe and tune and spend only around 12 - 13k all up because at the point of doing the turbo etc, it was going to cost as much as an STI and still wouldn't be an STI. I'd have a worse engine, worse trans, worse internals, worse suspension, worse brakes, and it just felt bad.

So, at this point, I was hoping that some others could help me decide. I couldn't afford an STI when I bought the WRX which is why I got it, and have chosen to do mods over time as I have spare funds. Am I just wasting my time modding the WRX? SHould I just leave it stock as is and just get an STI in the future (probably at least 4 or 5 years away after I get a house)?

I could probably sell my WRX for 9 - 10k since it has been freshly painted, had a new alarm, and a few other things done, which means I could use those funds and the mod funds to buy a V7 STI. But that means I have to sell my vehicle, which can take time, and then find a suitable replacement that does not have issues, which is a factor I am considering since my car has been well maintained, serviced and looked after since I have owned it.

Sorry for the long ramble guys, I guess when it comes down to it, I am only using the car as a DD, and was hoping to get a little more power out of it, and was just wondering if it is a waste of time to MOD WRX and if I should just wait for the STI.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
10,806 Posts
I don't know the value or ease of getting parts there for older vehicles. However I would be inclined to keep it. The transmission in the sti would be super spiffy to have because it's less likely to grenade. However i wouldn't be worried if you drive with respect and not like a fast and the furious dbag.

If you can swing an sti, go for it though. I'm currently in the market for one again because i can't help myself.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
You may get it as fast, or faster, in a straight line as an STI. But, you're going to have to go a long way to make up for the brakes, suspension, transmission, etc. You're going to spend a lot of time and money to build a car that's hardly comparable. If you're looking for STI performance, just get an STI. If you're concerned about the time frame of being able to get one, that tells me that you might be jumping the gun on this whole process.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts