Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My buddy had his 6.7 Powerstroke(edit, it was actually a 7.3) for sale (with transmission problems) and some guy came and straight swapped his 04 STI for it. My buddy thinks he got the better deal because in his words, "that truck was a piece of sh*t." Looking at the mod list the guy had makes me not so sure. Obviously the car needs a tune like yesterday, but I feel like the list is missing something. Let me know what you guys think so that I can let him know.

·
Super Moderator
10,901 Posts
That truck was only a few years old. He got taken to the cleaners.

·
Super Moderator
10,901 Posts
Yeah damnit 6.7 stuck in my head because he had a 6.7 transmission I believe. I'm pretty sure he had the 7.3. He had quite a few issues with it.
Not sure about ford transmission numbers their engines in the powerstroke line are the 7.3, 6.0, 6.4, and the 6.7.

If he traded a 6.7 he probably ate 30+k as I think they were introduced in 2015 diesel trucks are insanely priced.

I’d be surprised if he had an issue with a 7.3. 6.0 maybe. They ate egr equipment like crazy.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, I think we can all assume that he didn't pay $30k to replace a transmission, then trade for some $12k car. I remember he mentioned something involving a 6.7L engine, and that he was having issues with his transmission. Maybe his idea was to swap it with the transmission from a 6.7 but then decided not to. IDK, he mentioned it to me in passing about a year ago. Doesn't really matter, the vehicles were listed for the same price when they swapped. As for 7.3L or 6.0L... I'm not really sure. I just assumed 7.3, could've been a 6.0. But, same priced vehicles. Lets assume it was a fair trade.

Now, how does the list look? Any supporting mods?

·
Super Moderator
10,901 Posts
Unless I’m reading something wrong that’s just begging for an issue. Injectors and turbo swap are not supported by a generic open source tune.

Unless the car is tuned correctly tuned and the seller has no idea what he is talking about.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just an update: He says the car drinks oil. If it was unclear before, it's clear now who ended up with the better deal.

Also, he still hasn't tuned the car.

Plus he says he wants to race.. I pretty much told him that if his engine actually makes it he will toast me, but what's the point. I mean worst outcome is that we both get tickets, I lost a race, and he rebuilds an engine. No thanks buddy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts