ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the summer has hit, my car has been pulling timing a lot, and it's been driving me nuts!:mad: Anyways last week I was in AZ and I put some 92 Octane in my car (In Vegas 91 is the best you can get, besides race fuel), and it seemed to pull much smoother. So yesterday when I filled up I put 1 gallon of 100 Octane race gas and filled up the rest with 91 (both from 76') and after about 50 miles my car feels much better. I am guessing I am probably around 92 ~ 93 Octane with this mix. I forgot my old algebra skills:confused: and can't remember how to figure out exactly where I'm at now. Does anyone know the formula to figure this out? Anyone else out there doing this? or have a special mix you use? Can this hurt anything? I try to stay away from Octane boosters, I just don't feel safe using them. The race gas was about 4.20 per gallon, it seemed well worth the extra 2 bucks when filling up...:D

·
Registered
839 Posts
splash blending

When your splash blending fuel, the octane of the mix is simply the weighted average of the fuels.

If you have 10 gal of 91 in the tank and add 3 gal of 100 octane, you have approximately:

(10x91) + (3x100) = 1210/13 = 93.07 Octane

That's the way it is usually figured. There is a small error but is not worth worrying about unless your fuel blender at a refinery.

Larry

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! So since the WRX's gas tank holds 15.9 Gallons, with my mixture I am at 91.56 Octane. Which doesn't seem like much, but it did seem to pull more. Maybe placebo? ;) :D I'll have to try 2 gallons, which will make it 92.1. :wiggles:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
you should try 15 gallons:eek: then you'd never wanna put that crappy 91 in there again, too bad it'd cost ya like $65 every fillup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts