Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running a VF30 on stock fuel, stock ECU, stock intake, and stock muffler (Godspeed uppipe, TXS Stealthback). My trap speeds are excellent at nearly 102mph, but my quarter times are lacking, IMO. [email protected] just isn’t that impressive to me. On the highway, the car is a beast. I don’t even have to downshift from fifth to go from 75-110mph in a reasonable amount of time. I would like to see better spool up and enough flow to trap in the triple digits without upgrading the injectors, so I’m thinking of going to a Mitsubishi/Garrett hybrid. I found this hybrid that runs a 16g turbine and .60 Garrett T04B 60-1 Compressor. If anyone running this turbo or has dealt with MJM turbo before, I’d like your opinion. I’m also considering getting a VF35 because I was very impressed with that turbo on a customer’s car. I guess I’m shooting for something between the stock turbo and the VF30. The VF35 definitely fits in this category, but I’d like to try something different. Even an all Mitsu turbo would be cool. Anybody with the FP upgrade (koyokid) have timeslips?

-Jim

·
Registered
80 Posts
Turbos...

Jim,

That turbo looks real intresting

If I were you, I would go for engine management... people with UTEC's are trapping 108 with your exact same turbo.

I just got the Vishnu XEDE for my car, even with the teeny tiny snail on my car. The thing PULLS heck of alot better than just an MBC. The midrange is absolutely exhillarating boosting a safe 17+ psi and the timing advance and fuel trimming on the top end prevents the power drop off due to the limitations of the stock turbo.

I have no experience with this turbo, but there is a new turbo specialties turbo that I am eyeing that looks good.

http://www.turborepair.com/turbos_subaru.htm

They are very helpful you can call them up and ask them about what the best solution for your application is. They build custom turbos so you can go ahead and as them "hypothetically" about this hybrid setup.

A 16g compressor is between a VF30 and a PE1818 I beleive. It is definately a very nice unit.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think jim told me once that he was running a cool 16 psi

·
Registered
103 Posts
Talk to Alex about his turbo: you can search for it under the username amelnikov. This is the ONLY hybrid turbo I that acutally matches/tops VF30 output with significantly betther-than-VF30 spool, a feat which all the hybrids have claimed at one time or another. Amelnikov's is the only one that has backed up the claims!:D

I'm going to get a new turbo this summer, and this has constantly been my fallback plan in case something better hasn't come out yet. So far, it looks like I'm gonna be going with this turbo after all.

hey Butterfingers, take a look at the thread I've got going over on NASIOC about the Turbo Specialties TD05-16g w/P18 exhaust housing. I don't think this turbo or Turbo Specialties are all they seem cracked up to be.:(

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SpeedRacerWRX02 said:
just curious what PSI are u runnin on the vf30 with stock everything?
15.5-16psi daily
17psi for the 1/4.

BFers, you are right, an ECU would make a huge difference on my car. Unfortunately, I am REALLY BROKE right now.

-Jim

·
Registered
80 Posts
Plat,

I didnt realize you were running a stock muffler.

Do you remove the muffler before your runs?

I remember seeing dyno charts that showed that with a larger turbo you loose up to 20 horsepower and some torque with the stock box. Maybe an exhaust cutout is in order.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
15.5-16psi daily
17psi for the 1/4.

BFers, you are right, an ECU would make a huge difference on my car. Unfortunately, I am REALLY BROKE right now.

-Jim
u can run 17psi with no engine managment on a vf30?!?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SpeedRacerWRX02 said:
u can run 17psi with no engine managment on a vf30?!?
Well, the stock muffler clogs things up a little and the ECU pulls timing.

You can, but it isn't a good idea. Since the car is at full throttle the whole time it's moving, the injectors probably go static at like 6000rpm. Oh well.

-Jim

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ive met Jim before im sure he knows what hes doing but I am very conservative. I wouldent do it very long without Race Gas or tolulene

17psi is pushing the limits of the stock fuel system. Given the stock map hes running a very lean estimated 13:1+ AFR. Possibly even leaner at higer revs when the injectors reach 100% IDC.

Without engine management the stock ECU also pulls timing at this high pressure to prevent detonation. Fuel cut is also a stone thow away at 17 psi.

Just for Sh*ts and giggles I would run the car at 15.5-16 psi using tolulene or race gas as an octane booster minus the stock muffler. I'd be curious if that would effect your times.

·
Registered
393 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
... so I’m thinking of going to a Mitsubishi/Garrett hybrid. I found this hybrid that runs a 16g turbine and .60 Garrett T04B 60-1 Compressor. If anyone running this turbo or has dealt with MJM turbo before, I’d like your opinion. ...
-Jim
Im looking into the same turbo Jim. Im waiting for mine to be sent. I'll let you know how it works out for me when I put mine on but I have a UTEC and I will have injectors, pump, etc.. to go with it. I have been told that this turbo can be run without mgmt or better fuel components, its just that I think you'll really unlock the potential of it with injectors, pump, and mgmt.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Do you remove the muffler before your runs?
I didn't think the track officials would let you run without a muffler...am I wrong? My local track is Sears Point (well it was before the stupid name change). Anyway, I though you HAD to have a muffler to run.

-jason

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Wow, that sucks! Half the fun of going to the track is listening to the uncapped V8's BLARE! :D

Our track is in an "industrial area" though...

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jmussetter said:
I didn't think the track officials would let you run without a muffler...am I wrong? My local track is Sears Point (well it was before the stupid name change). Anyway, I though you HAD to have a muffler to run.

-jason
I have run without my muffler. It's freakin cool. You can't do this when running on "muffled street car" days, but on "anything goes" days, obviously anything goes. I just worry about getting a ticket on my way to or from the track.

-Jim

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have run without my muffler. It's freakin cool. You can't do this when running on "muffled street car" days, but on "anything goes" days, obviously anything goes. I just worry about getting a ticket on my way to or from the track.
Maybe I'll have to go during a "grudge fest" rather than Wed. night drags. I've never tried myself running without the muffler at the track, but my brother who goes more than I do, says he *though* it was a rule.

If I did it, the track is too far away to drive to it w/o muffler, so I would have to unbolt it at the track, but that isn't bad, it only takes 10 minutes or so to pull it off.

Thanks for the info, I'll try to find out what events will let you run muffler-less at my local tracks.

-jason

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
your running real lean on that much PSI, and your fuel system also inadequate for that turbo. if you want to better your times, that's the solution. the bigger turbo isn't going to help you any more on the stock fuel system either.

if you're going to spend your money, forget the blower, support the system you have now, and get rid of the factory back box. at your level of mods, it's more restrictive than you think.

one other key to the question is, what are your 60' times? if you're trapping that high nd still not getting the ET's you want, i would suspect your still at 2.0 or so.

as for the FP turbo, i hear the ION spec flows more, and has lower spool up.

dR

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dark_rex said:
if you're going to spend your money, forget the blower, support the system you have now, and get rid of the factory back box. at your level of mods, it's more restrictive than you think.

one other key to the question is, what are your 60' times? if you're trapping that high nd still not getting the ET's you want, i would suspect your still at 2.0 or so.

as for the FP turbo, i hear the ION spec flows more, and has lower spool up.

dR
You are right, dR. One of the main reasons that I am running the stock muffler is to keep from running too lean. The other reason is I'm waiting for an all 3" turboback. From the sounds of it, I'd DEFINITELY need more fuel for the hybrid anyway. I'm just going to upgrade my fuel system and ECU next, I guess. I'll be going to an all autospeed exhuast system soon (uppipe and turboback). When I do that, I'd also like to put the hybrid turbo on. I have to admit, the VF30 is a very good turbo.

-Jim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts