ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am very new to this site and I apologise if this is in the wrong section but I recently got my first car, a 2002 wrx wagon, and just last night it started misfiring. I asked the guy I bought if from and he said it's probably doing that because I have been stalling it a bunch (still learning) Is it possible my engine is misfiring because I stall out a bunch? (mostly trying to go in reverse just a few feet) I ordered an OBD 2 scanner and it gets here today so I might be able to provide some more info a later on today. Thanks!

·
11,420 Posts
Maybe? Probably not. Depends on when the knock is happening

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was driving it around with some friends and as soon as I walked away to go get something apparently it started flashing and they took the key out. It hasn't stopped since but I haven't turned it on today.

·
11,420 Posts
Flashing?

Thats bad. It means it has a persistent misfire so bad that pulling timing can't fix it. I don't believe a new drive could cause that with a few bad shifts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yikes ok, so what do you think it could be since the spark plugs and coils were replaced?

·
11,420 Posts
Could be a number of issues of a number of systems. You'll need to check air and out, fuel, ignition and compression

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can do that when I get my scanner later today, I’ll let you know when I get it so you can tell me what to look for

·
11,420 Posts
Sensor probably bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea I was thinking it was that but I can’t really find it, do you have like a picture of where it is cuz no matter how many things I look at I can’t find it for me life

·
11,420 Posts
If I remember, if it is driver side its by the oil fill on the top (not end where sparkplug are) towards the front.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok new thing, maybe a day or two ago I got in the car and instead of my scanner showing the camshaft position sensor malfunctioning and cylinders 2 and 4 misfiring, it has been just showing me cylinder 4 misfire. My dad (doesn't know much about cars) insisted that we unplug the battery over night and plug it back in the next day and I'm assuming thats why the CPS code went away, could that have possibly maybe reset it and fixed it or did it just make it shut up and its still happening. The car feels way different between when one cylinder is misfiring and when two are and I am confident that only one of them (cylinder 4) is misfiring. So yea, is it possible that the battery unplug and replug fixed the camshaft position sensor and in turn fixed cylinder 2? (I'm currently narrowing it down now but I think cylinder 4 is just a bad spark plug.)

·
11,420 Posts
The camp position sensor can be bad, or you can have an oil pressure problem. It wouldn't be a bad idea to investigate that area. They don't strike me as related to the other area but I don't know everything and electrical gremlins can reach far and wide into unsuspecting places.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How would I go about checking oil Pressure? would it be on my OBD2 app? (I use In Car Doc)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts