ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently after having my car tuned I was having a misfire under boost in 4th and 5th gear above 3000 RPM. It threw code P0340, so i replaced the camshaft sensor. Now i get no more codes but i have the same issue but now the RPM race to 6000 without power. Until i let off the throttle. What are possible causes. New to this and trying to learn

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Can you describe in further detail what you mean by "race to 6000 without power"? Do you hit the gas, the RPM's go up but you don't go anywhere?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
If this is yet another slipping clutch that has to be a record for clutch threads in a week

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I hit the gas and the RPM's go up but I do not go anywhere is correct. I continue at the speed I was previously going. Once I start to let up on the pedal it starts going again. So far this only happens in 4th and 5th gear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Misfire was probably an inaccurate statement but I am just starting to learn. I need to learn the lingo many other things. This is my first time in the forums and I think this will help me start to learn more about my wrx.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is that an expensive fix? I had a new clutch put in back in around May/June. Is there any way to verify that this is indeed the problem?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Wow the clutch shouldn't be slipping that soon but it really sounds like it based on the symptoms. What clutch is on the car and who did the work? Did you also replace the flywheel?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will have to verify tomorrow what clutch I had installed. The flywheel was not replaced. A guy in Massachusetts built the engine and that is also who I went through for other parts. The company is turbotek tuning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am trying to figure out now what clutch I had installed. Also, a local guy to my area did all of the installs.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
You may give them a call and let them know when they did the work and that you think the clutch may be slipping. Because they have done a lot of work for you I wouldn't be surprised if they offered to take a look at it. Also, not to say its your fault but how much experience do you have driving manuals, specifically this car?

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
So if the flywheel wasn't replaced did they resurface te flywheel? The flywheels are not serviceable and need replaced.. If they resurfaced your flywheel and depending now how many miles you have it's probably because the clutch took up that slack and the springs are now just done from taking up the extra gap..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been driving a manual for about 15 years now so I wouldn't think that is causing the issue. The flywheel was resurfaced it had about 70k miles on it at the time. If the clutch is definitely the issue, is it something that can be repaired or am I looking at needing to buy a new clutch and flywheel? Could the clutch possibly have a warranty on it since there has only been about 8000 miles put on it?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
As Torque said it very well could be the issue of a resurfaced flywheel causing clutch issues. It could very well have a warranty but there is no way of knowing without calling the shop that did the work

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
The shop that did the work technically is at fault for not quoting you a new flywheel to begin with. A Wrx flywheel cannot be turned it makes it out of spec and must be replaced. If I was you paying labor to replace a flywheel I would buy another clutch kit to bolt on, just because you might as well.. But in all honesty it already sounds like its shot.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
^^^^ yeah I'm with these guys. You should have had a new flywheel put in. I'd go back to that shop and see what they say, and post their answer here. I'm really curious what they'll say/do. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Will I need to replace the clutch or can it be fixed with new parts? I am going to get a new flywheel as well. Is this installation something not too difficult to do? I am pretty mechanically inclined but haven't tried anything like this before.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I'm confused by your post. You probably just need a new flywheel.

Saying you're mechanically inclined is a very broad term. Replacing a clutch is getting into some of the most complicated repairs on a car short of removing and rebuilding an engine. What exactly is the most complicated repair you've ever done on a car? What does your tool collection look like? If it doesn't include at least 3 ratchets and 3 different 3/8" extensions, plus standard and deep well sockets in every size, then you should probably just pay somebody to do the work.

But I still want to know what the original installer said. They should be repairing this issue for free because they messed up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't think I will get any work from the guy who did the install. I had the engine built by a guy in Massachusetts and shipped to Maryland where I had a local guy do the install. He just works from his house so there is not a business I could pin this on and i don't think it would be worth trying to get it fixed for free.

Mh cousin owns a shop so I was thinking of asking him to work on it and see if I can assist because I want to start to learn how to work on my car myself.

When I ask about the clutch being fixed I guess I wanted to know if the clutch is damaged and will need replaced along with the flywheel.

Any suggestions on a brand of clutch/flywheel?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am going to instal a new clutchmaster clutch and a competition clutch flywheel. What's you thoughts?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts