ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I seem to ask a lot of questions on this site, which leads me to believe I know nothing about my car. anyhow my first oil change is coming up and I'm having my dealership do it. I asked what kind of our it came from the factory with and I was told its a mineral base, not synthetic, and that synthetic oil is not recommended until the motor is broken in with 18,000 km. I want synthetic, especially because it will -30 C soon. Has anyone else heard this? I also thought the break in was 1,600 km.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,475 Posts
I think your policy differs from the US policy in general. I think your oil change intervals are still 6000km for example, whereas in the US they've extended them.

I did as your dealer recommended with my WRX, but mine only saw temps down to 5C. For -30C I don't see an option other than a synth. I do not think you will harm anything by using a synth at this point. In fact that's what I'd do given the temps.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually checked my manual again and it states right on 12-7 to use 5w-30 synthetic oil in bold letters. I dont understand where my dealership is coming from, or have I heard about an 18,000 km break in period. Oh well thx for your thoughts. Ill do synthetic regardless.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts