ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think I've posted this before because I can't see my started threads back further than a month or so, but here we go.

A while back i became aware of the fact when people imagine or picture something they actually see an image like looking at a photo in their mind, or are able to transpose an image to what they are looking at like what a painting would look like if it was hung on a wall.

This is an entirely bizarre and foreign concept to me. I can't imagine people actually see a photo like image. One person described it as like a projector shooting an image to the back of his forehead. Is this what people are really seeing.

I know what something looks like and can describe it. Almost like a written technical description in my mind but not an image.

So tell me, as I seem to be the rarity what are you normal folks experience.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,003 Posts
Since reading this I have tried to visualise things as you describe yet have failed to do so. I don’t know if it’s because I’m too conscious of my attempts or if it’s something else.

I’m left pondering the statement if Curly Howard : “I try to think but nothing happens!”

·
Premium Member
10,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since reading this I have tried to visualise things as you describe yet have failed to do so. I don’t know if it’s because I’m too conscious of my attempts or if it’s something else.

I’m left pondering the statement if Curly Howard : “I try to think but nothing happens!”
I've tried and never have. I can't even ponder a concept of what it would be like.
I can see things I imagine & even rotate them. It's in my head though I can't see it.
So you see an actual image in there? Like close your eyes look at a film clear or blurry?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Depends on what it is but it's more like a 3D model than a picture. Kinda like a CAD program in my head. If it's something I know all the parts to I can disassemble, swap parts & reassemble. Nothing is blurry, I can choose colors, hear sounds, smell smells & move to different areas if I know what they look like or make it up if I don't.

·
Premium Member
10,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's fascinating beyond unbelievable. I'm a tool maker and have to "picture" things all the time but it's never an image in my mind. I just know what the part looks like. I can draw what I need, and describe it. Actually picturing it is not in the game

Supposedly this comes along with other issues like facial recognition but I have no issues that i know of unless I'm always messing up peoples names and nobody is telling me

·
Registered
296 Posts
This kind of stuff is pretty interesting to me also. The brain is really a wrinkled glob that runs on chemicals and tiny lightning. I'm more amazed they work as similarly as they do than the endless variations they have. That's part of why they have a hard time defining the differences, it's often a spectrum not this or that & some things often pair but aren't actually connected like touretts and coprolalia.

·
2,564 Posts
I don't know that there's really much difference to "seeing something in your mind's eye" and being able to fully visualize that thing. Just a difference in wording, I feel. I designed iron and aluminum castings and then plastic molded parts. About half of the 40 years I did this was on a drafting board, then the jump to 3D CAD models (completely skipping 2D CAD drafting methods such as AutoCAD.)

Visualizing three dimensional objects in your mind to transfer them to two dimensional drawings became second nature pretty quickly. Did I see photographs? No, actually more than that. I could "see" what the part looked like inside and out, visualizing cavities and cores required to cast the part, and able to rotate it around to see different sides. By the time I got to CAD, I had a huge advantage over people who just started product design in the 3D CAD realm, because I could already visualize the entire part as I designed it due to the 2D experience.

·
Premium Member
10,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know that there's really much difference to "seeing something in your mind's eye" and being able to fully visualize that thing. Just a difference in wording, I feel. I designed iron and aluminum castings and then plastic molded parts. About half of the 40 years I did this was on a drafting board, then the jump to 3D CAD models (completely skipping 2D CAD drafting methods such as AutoCAD.)

Visualizing three dimensional objects in your mind to transfer them to two dimensional drawings became second nature pretty quickly. Did I see photographs? No, actually more than that. I could "see" what the part looked like inside and out, visualizing cavities and cores required to cast the part, and able to rotate it around to see different sides. By the time I got to CAD, I had a huge advantage over people who just started product design in the 3D CAD realm, because I could already visualize the entire part as I designed it due to the 2D experience.
That's crazy.

Let me try to put into words how i "visualize" something.

It's not that i see anything or imagine anything. It's more like a mental description without words or pictures. Imagine closing your eyes and knowing what something looks like. Like you stand in your living room and close your eyes. You know how many steps until you disjoint a toe on a table leg.

I have no issue transferring something in my head to paper or knowing what the sides look like. I do it every day programming a lathe or a mill from a 2d print. It's hard to explain how besides I just know what it looks like.

I've done some reading and many people who seem to be in the boat with me tend to have issues with faces, remembering smells, or how something feels. I don't have issues with that so I'm wondering if i am just not imagining right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts