ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, My buddy and I are going to see if we can get 450 miles to the tank of his Blazer (V6, 18.5 gallon tank) and my WRX with it's 15.9 gallon tank.

All freeway. Driving like grandmas. No stops.

My question to you all is, how far have you gotten on a tank? And just for fun, I'd love to see the high and low end of the values.

Mine so far is 401.3/284.8 (miles per tank)

·
Registered
364 Posts
I once turned over 400 when pulling into a gas station but the light wasn't on yet so who knows. I was behind my parents F-250 the whole time at about 78 miles per hour so I was cheating. As for low I think I drained a tank to the light in 280-290 miles.
Now I'm going to start keeping track haha

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha right on. Yeah my goal is to kiss big rig ass the entire trip.

If the light comes on at 400... you still have used less than 13 gallons. So you still had 2.9 gallons left. CRAZY CLOSE!!!
We're gonna be recording it so I'll post a video.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Winchester, VA - Bainbridge, NY
~325 miles

No drafting, going at a pretty good clip home from CF '11

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I've hit 300 before the needle touches the last 1/4 marker. I don't like to run my car down to the gas light.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
I've averaged 32mpg over 380 miles of mixed driving.. if I had ran it all the way down that would be just over 500 miles on the tank, so you should be able to do 450 without too much trouble.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
I got 435 miles to a tank once in my Bugeye, all in one day, lol. I drove from San Fran to Portland in one blast, 638 miles. Pretty impressive for my car, especially since a good portion of it was in snow over the passes.

Usually I get about 270 miles to a tank, and fill 13 gallons, which is between 20-21 mpg. I don't drive like a maniac, but I don't use any sort of mileage techniques either. My wife's hybrid is meant for mileage, my car is for fun. :)

Let us know if you make it though!

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
I enjoy driving the car too much to care about gas mileage but I'm definitely interested to see if you can reach your goal! Just stay "sucked" up to the rigs and other larger vehicles and I bet you can do it....

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Ive made it over 360 miles on a tank, drove from twinsburg oh to wytheville va

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got 435 miles to a tank once in my Bugeye, all in one day, lol. I drove from San Fran to Portland in one blast, 638 miles. Pretty impressive for my car, especially since a good portion of it was in snow over the passes.

Usually I get about 270 miles to a tank, and fill 13 gallons, which is between 20-21 mpg. I don't drive like a maniac, but I don't use any sort of mileage techniques either. My wife's hybrid is meant for mileage, my car is for fun. :)

Let us know if you make it though!

Right on. Yeah the plan is to go from Sacramento, over the Golden Gate and around Tahoe in one tank.
We're going to be hyper miling it so we shouldn't have too much trouble.

Of course I'll be happy if we make it anywhere near my house again. Going to leave for this venture in about 9 hours!

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
I got 450 in my stage 1 WRX once. Roads were awful - so it was ~45-50mph non-stop on the interstate. The car usually got 380 miles/tank with normal driving.

My stock STI is lucky to get 320 (once I got 340) before the light comes on. I can't even seem to baby it and get more. I also find that the "I" mode is worse gas mileage than the "S" or "S#" when driving on the interstate. I have no idea why that is though.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would like to point out that drafting off of big rigs, while dangerous, is also just a rotten thing to do.

Remember Newton's 3rd law "To every action there is always an equal and opposite reaction." The low pressure zone ahead of you that you are utilizing to get better gas mileage is being created by that big rig in front of you, and you pulling on the back of it means that the opposite reaction is pulling on the back of the big rig.

To put is simply to get better gas mileage, you are stealing mpg's from the guy in front of you. Sure it could be some corporate trucking rig, where the driver could care less about you siphoning off a little of his slip stream, but it could also be an owner/operator struggling to get by who won't take too kindly to you helping yourself to some of his hard earned gas dollars.

You wouldn't like it if I hooked a rope to the back of your Scooby and let you pull me along the highway, just keep that in mind when you decide to let a big rig pull you along.

Edit: after some more research, it appears that there still is some debate about whether any "parasitic drag" is noticeable, or is even detrimental, but it still is a great way to get a stone or Mansfield bar into your windshield.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
I would like to point out that drafting off of big rigs, while dangerous, is also just a rotten thing to do.

Remember Newton's 3rd law "To every action there is always an equal and opposite reaction." The low pressure zone ahead of you that you are utilizing to get better gas mileage is being created by that big rig in front of you, and you pulling on the back of it means that the opposite reaction is pulling on the back of the big rig.

To put is simply to get better gas mileage, you are stealing mpg's from the guy in front of you. Sure it could be some corporate trucking rig, where the driver could care less about you siphoning off a little of his slip stream, but it could also be an owner/operator struggling to get by who won't take too kindly to you helping yourself to some of his hard earned gas dollars.

You wouldn't like it if I hooked a rope to the back of your Scooby and let you pull me along the highway, just keep that in mind when you decide to let a big rig pull you along.

Edit: after some more research, it appears that there still is some debate about whether any "parasitic drag" is noticeable, or is even detrimental, but it still is a great way to get a stone or Mansfield bar into your windshield.
Hmm, can you cite your sources here? I'm calling BS on this. You are not being "dragged" by the semi. You are utilizing the reduced drag resistance created by the truck breaking up the slipstream ahead of you. Any negative MPG effect drafting a car behind a semi might cause is negligible at best. It has much more mass and momentum than you do. Many trucks are following each other anyway, so they are enjoying drafting benefits themselves.

That being said, I agree with you that tailgating a semi right on their bumper is downright dangerous, and might incite the truck driver to rage, but not for the reasons you said. If a tire blows out, and you're 10 feet off his bumper, you are liable to get a tire straight the head. Making matters worse, in some regions, the truck driver would actually be held liable for the accident, even though it was the drafters stupidity that caused the injury.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Rambo, unfortunately I could not find anything concrete one way or the other when I did a bit more research after posting this. Pretty much everything I have found is conjecture one way or the other, which is why I posted the edit to my original post. But it still stands that if the truck driver thinks this is happening, they may not be too happy with you.

I originally heard this theory from a Semi driver when I worked unloading shipments at an old job, and may have inadvertently been combining it with gravitational drag theories for moving asteroids. I suppose that theoretically, the truck's gravitational field WOULD be pulling you, and your's pulling it back, but that effect would be for all intents and purposes immeasurable. For all I know this is a rumor that long haul truckers spread to get people to stop tailgating.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
That is one hyper-mileing technique I would never do. Hell, I get nervous sometimes with my fiance driving if she's not utilizing the 3 second rule on the highway (I think she forgets, but she did one time try to argue that she was maintaining a certain car length distance, but got quiet when I reminded her that the faster you are going, the longer and farther it takes for you to stop). If you're too close to the vehicle in front of you and they have to slam on their brakes, nothing will save you from hitting them. And if the vehicle in front of you is a big rig with the bottom of their trailer right at head level for your relatively low to the ground car...no thanks.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Funny thing is before I fashed to stage 1 (COBB AP), I was only getting about 350 miles/tank.

I am hoping for a similiar benefit when I flash my STI.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
Lots of people say gas mileage goes up with a tune. One more reason why it's tough to wait!

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
I normally average 220 to 236 per tank, and 13 gal fill ups...but that is almost all city driving.

For the tailgating thing....If you were reckless enough to really creep up their trailer, you would definitely be able to get about 700-800 miles on a tank. When I moved to Pittsburgh back in '02 I was young and dumb...I tailed a rig with less than 5 feet space between us from Memphis to Nashville. I stopped for gas as I was sure the gauge had to be wrong, but my CRX only took just under 2.25 gal....that is about 95mpg....but real real stupid.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts