Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a quick question,
i bought my WRX last week and it already had around 230 miles on it. is that something to be concerned about? they told me they had to drive it down from Jersey...

any input is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Huge concerns(!) if those miles weren't put on the car by you. Would you want someone else in putting 25% of break-in miles for you? Worse is you don't know how they have done it. If they did drive that many miles to have your car delivered, you will spot either rock chips (at least one or two small ones) or dead bugs stuck on the frontal area (even behind the grill) somewhere. They couldn't have washed the car that well.

Another thing to look for is to check to see if the tires have rolled onto their sidewall. When people corner hard, the side wall will show scuff mark from contacting the pavement due to understeering.

Now, what I think is that they have given you a demo car. You shouldn't have paid for that car as new, but as a demo.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
yeah what ^ said... i wouldnt have paid for it as new... i mean 230 miles to drive and get the car? there are transport services...

o also, once u do get teh car tho... its easy to put miles on it... im at ~15K since DEC...

-Mike

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
just wanted to calm you down a bit since the replies so far probably arent what you were hoping for.
yes its possible that someone beat your car to hell before you got it, but chances are that didnt happen.
also, the engine supposedly doesnt need any break in time. people just seem to do it as a precaution. i know there was a thread recently that discussed this. search for 'break in' or something like that to try and find past information on it.
so if the car was what you wanted at the right price there is no need to be unhappy with the purchase...
no worries, just start thinking about the great times you will be having in that beautiful new automobile.
o-|-<) bryan

·
895 Posts
yeah, my car had 130mi on it when i got it, and i figured alot of ppl did some heavy test-driving before i got to sit in it. but it doesn't really matter now since the cars running fine at nearly 7k mi, and i havnt noticed any problems yet (wink, wink)....except for the recurring exhaust leak, low gas milage, clutch shudder, window noise squeak, and syncro problems...but otherwise i'm doing just fine! ;)

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I'm quite sure it's iilegal to sell someone a demo car as a new car. The dealer is obliged to notify the buyer in writing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how do you know though? man, i am really starting to worry now... :( since I bought it already, there isn't much I can do now, is there?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Big mistake buying a supposedly new car with that many miles, dealers will try to cheat you like that. When I bought my rex, the first car they were going to hand me had 800miles, and they didnt even tell me about it untill I asked. So I said WTF no freaking way are you giving me a "used" car, I payed for a new car, i want a new car dammit. So anyways, I got a new one. Demo cars have been driven hard. I wonder if you can take it back...probably too late though...:(

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
Nexus6 said:
Big mistake buying a supposedly new car with that many miles, dealers will try to cheat you like that. When I bought my rex, the first car they were going to hand me had 800miles, and they didnt even tell me about it untill I asked. So I said WTF no freaking way are you giving me a "used" car, I payed for a new car, i want a new car dammit. So anyways, I got a new one. Demo cars have been driven hard. I wonder if you can take it back...probably too late though...:(
it's quite common for "new" cars to have a hundred or two on them. don't panic. if you're real nervous. go drive a brand spanking new one at another dealer. i gaurantee you won't see a difference.

dR

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
It is VERY common for a new car to be relocated on it's own wheels. As long as the car wasn't a demo beater, you'll be fine.

FYI, my car had 10.5 miles on it when I picked it up, but I ordered mine from Japan to make sure of this.

-Jim

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
is there anyway to tell if it was a demo beater?
also, if they did rev it up during the break-in period, what problems should i be concerned about? how long would it take for those problems to surface?

sorry if i sound paranoid... I just want to make sure it isn't something that will bite me after the warranty... (especially if it involves items that are only covered for the first 3 years)

even if they drove it down from jersey, it should only be like 180 miles or so... :(

there is no 30 day return policy, is there? :(

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
FYI, my car had 10.5 miles on it when I picked it up, but I ordered mine from Japan to make sure of this.

-Jim
I could've sworn that Japan was further than 10.5 miles away. Maybe I'll just drive over and trade in for an STi!:D

Bunta: by my calculations, after 180 miles from Jersey, that leaves approximately 50 miles for others to test drive, employees to go to lunch or take home overnight, etc. I'd say you don't really have anything to worry about. Rest easy grasshopper!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
WRXed said:
I could've sworn that Japan was further than 10.5 miles away. Maybe I'll just drive over and trade in for an STi!:D

Bunta: by my calculations, after 180 miles from Jersey, that leaves approximately 50 miles for others to test drive, employees to go to lunch or take home overnight, etc. I'd say you don't really have anything to worry about. Rest easy grasshopper!
While the WRX is known to be amphibious, Japan is actually too far to drive on one tank of gas. Therefore, SOA opts to use a ship to transport their cars to the US. 10.5 miles is the distance form the dealership to the gas station and back.

-Jim

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for all your replies, guys...
i am a little bummed, but your replies were comforting...

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Bunta said:
thanks for all your replies, guys...
i am a little bummed, but your replies were comforting...
i might be a lil bummed too... but if u got a good deal, or if u like ur car... there is nothing to worry about...

ps. mine had 5 miles on it when i got it...

-Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
If it was me, I won't just let the freaking dealer go on this. This will just encourage them to continuously do this to other customers. I will go back to the dealership and raise hell.

How long have you had your car anyway? In CA, if you have purchased anything, within 3 days, you can return the item. In any case, you might not be able to trade that for another new car (but definitely request for that), but go back and settle for them to install OEM options (dimmed mirror, mud guard, cargo net, arm rest, etc) for free. At the absolutely least, walk out of the door with them extending the car's warranty for 230 miles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
they already told me that the warranty will start at the mileage at which I received the car... (so i already have that 230 miles extension)...

i would want them to compensate me, but i wouldn't know what to say... afterall, it really is my fault. they had the mileage on the paperwork when i signed it, but at the time, i was too excited about getting the new car to think too much of it. :(

i bought the car a week ago... someone had told me that there is a return policy for cars, but i haven't been able to find anything more about it... if anyone has any clue or suggestions, please let me know...

thanks for your post, though...

(if people did drive the car hard, what would be potential problems that I should be on the look out for? are they likely to occur within the first 36,000 miles (under warranty)? if the car runs smoothly after 3000 miles or so, am I out of the woods? sorry, I know very little about cars at this point...)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts