ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to look at this tomorrow at an auction. I can tell it has mods but I’m new to sti’s. Wondering if anyone can fill me in with some general knowledge and point out anything anything interring to you. Or what exactly is going on with this car.

Lots of warning lights on the dash. Not sure why

Are these mods good? Maybe you can tel what it has from the pictures

what’s it worth??
vehicle was repoed. Maybe improper towing damaged something and that’s the reasoning for all the lights on the dash?

·
10,686 Posts
It's impossible to tell without having a shop familiar with performance subarus look at it.

From what I can tell, unless you are looking for a potentially extremely expensive project on top of the vehicle price move on.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Jeesus... looks like someone spent a good amount of money and then let it get repoed? Wow, so newer STIs aren't cheap by themselves, so a heavily modified one with nearly every warning light woudl be somewhat cheaper, lol. I am usually all for buying project cars... but this one is going to already going to be expensive being a newer STI PLUS the money to fix it o_O. So if your pockets are deep enough. "Steal it" and fix it... it may work out.

·
Registered
2013 WRX Premium, Sedan
35 Posts
You are lucky you did not buy this car because people that can't make their car payments are probably not doing oil changes, and are probably driving the crap out of the car knowing it is not going to be theirs anymore. Whoever bought that thing had better have a high financial pain tolerance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dang. Those aren't warning lights. They look more like the lights that stay on before you actually start the engine. That's a seatbelt not on light. The hill assist was turned off which is normal for ppl who can drive a stick. A traction control turned off light. And that check engine light stays on unless the engine is running. Those mods suggest someone put a lot of time and money into it and they look very well done. I would say that's at least $5000 worth of mods and depending on the year those things are selling off the lot for more than 30k at least where I am at.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,451 Posts
It's only $5K when you're buying the parts. Once installed, it's zero at best to me, and the value of the car drops rather than increasing. OP dodged a bullet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's only $5K when you're buying the parts. Once installed, it's zero at best to me, and the value of the car drops rather than increasing. OP dodged a bullet.
Not sure why everyone keeps saying this. If the parts are installed correctly I don't see what the issue is. If you want a car that's warrantied from a dealership go for it but not everyone wants a stock car. Obviously this car was sold already but for someone that wants a modified STI this was a very good example of one and that check engine light is most likely a result of someone messing with the access port or adding the wrong fuel.

·
10,686 Posts
Dang. Those aren't warning lights. They look more like the lights that stay on before you actually start the engine. That's a seatbelt not on light. The hill assist was turned off which is normal for ppl who can drive a stick. A traction control turned off light. And that check engine light stays on unless the engine is running. Those mods suggest someone put a lot of time and money into it and they look very well done. I would say that's at least $5000 worth of mods and depending on the year those things are selling off the lot for more than 30k at least where I am at.
There is nothing about that car that makes it worth buying. If it was indeed 5k worth of mods the value of the car is easily 1.5x the price of the mods lower than book value.

That car is a 15k dollar engine replacement waiting to happen. You are right though. The lights do come on before the engine is started, considering the engine is running your assessment is void and it's more likely massive mechanical problems, or it's not tuned and about to have them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts