ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I'm looking into getting a set of coilovers for my 16 WRX. I don't plan on slamming it, just a tasteful 1" drop at the most. I'm mostly looking for better ride quality, as the stock suspension is boxy and jarring, especially on roads in the northeast that are constantly chewed up by the winters.

My current wheel and tire setup is below. I poke about 5mm on each side currently, and I actually like the poke look so I don't plan on having to add much camber.
Enkei TS10 18x9.5 +35
General G-max As-05 245/40

I've boiled it down to 4 of the most popular, name-brand options. Price is not really an issue as their all within a couple hundred bucks of each other. (900-1100):
-ISC N1
-Revel TSD
-BC Racing BR
-Silvers Neomax

For anyone who has experience with any of these on their 15+ WRX or know someone who does, what are your thoughts?

BooSTIng
I wouldn't literally put any of those coilovers on my lawnmower. The lowest price point coilovers I would by are Fortune Auto 500's, or Feal. They run around 1400-1500 dollars. Literally every single coilover you have listed in trash and will ride worse than your stock suspension.

Fork out a few hundred more dollars for something decent like the coilovers I mentioned above.

Premium Member
name-brand[/B]
Name-brand would be whiteline, ohlins, feal, kw, race comp engineering, etc.

Don't mess with those cheap ones. They don't ride well, they have poor travel, they don't last long, on a track they perform worse than stock suspensions, the ride height adjustments are rarely stable.

Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
I own 5 cars.

I only use suspension components with established safety approvals. Look for a TUV!!!

If there is no TUV I don鈥檛 see why you鈥檇 trust your life to parts from a fly-by-night maker.

I use Bilstein and Kayaba on my cars now. I鈥檝e also used Koni and Sachs. They鈥檙e all high quality.

Spend the money for actual parts or just replace your dampers but look T brands like this and not rubbish. You鈥檒l still save money.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Fortune Auto 500 Gen 7s run for only $1300, Feals can be picked up for 1285. You guys are bashing the ones I listed for being the cheap ones when they're within 200 dollars of the FA and the Feals. Which means that Feals and FA's are also Mid-tier coilovers. Does anyone have any concrete input on the actual ride quality or adjustability of these vs the ones I listed?

Premium Member
Fortune Auto 500 Gen 7s run for only $1300, Feals can be picked up for 1285. You guys are bashing the ones I listed for being the cheap ones when they're within 200 dollars of the FA and the Feals. Which means that Feals and FA's are also Mid-tier coilovers. Does anyone have any concrete input on the actual ride quality or adjustability of these vs the ones I listed?
Nobody will tell you any different. Go buy your chinesium suspension and tell everyone how smart you are as you cruise down the road in a suspension so harsh it gives you shaken baby syndrome.

There is a difference between a company with a racing pedigree and a Chinese manufacturer of crap. Kw has suspensions in that price range too, they are far superior in every way to anything you named. They actually have solid engineering behind them and are basic versions of their proven design.

Edit

My mind is so boggled by your response i had to come back. I assume that you have never looked up anything for those brands you've listed it's not surprise news that those companies fair poorly on shock dynos, don't last, and typically need rebuilt within a few thousand miles, if you can rebuild them. Many of them the rebuild kits were non existent or cost as much or more than the suspension themselves.

Companies like Feal got their start unfucking those cheap coilovers by rebuilding and revalving them to something that was actually useful. They decided to cut out the middle man and just build their own affordable set.

Your big mistake is reading cheap as a dollar amount. It isn't cheap is quality. Feal has their parts for the 441 made in Taiwan, however the parts are inspected and the coilovers are built here so you are already 100 steps ahead of anything on the market in that price range.

Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
KW suspension parts should have T脺V approval on the box. There is a lower cost version too I think, called ST. I鈥檇 not look lower.

It鈥檚 your car. I鈥檝e had Sachs, Bilstein, Kayaba 鈥 all these are established suppliers with approved components are they鈥檙e all OEM suppliers. People drive their children around on that stuff, millions of km if you add them up. I like safety. I can鈥檛 be killed, I鈥檓 too handsome.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
My mind is so boggled by your response i had to come back. I assume that you have never looked up anything for those brands you've listed it's not surprise news that those companies fair poorly on shock dynos, don't last, and typically need rebuilt within a few thousand miles, if you can rebuild them. Many of them the rebuild kits were non existent or cost as much or more than the suspension themselves.

Companies like Feal got their start unfucking those cheap coilovers by rebuilding and revalving them to something that was actually useful. They decided to cut out the middle man and just build their own affordable set.

Your big mistake is reading cheap as a dollar amount. It isn't cheap is quality. Feal has their parts for the 441 made in Taiwan, however the parts are inspected and the coilovers are built here so you are already 100 steps ahead of anything on the market in that price range.
Ah I think I understand. I definitely understand that the manufacturing quality and inspection process would definitely differ between manufacturers. BC Racing is also USA manufactured, so they should be inspected with the same depth as any of the other kits you mentioned.

If you guys truly think that bumping up to a set of Feals or FA 500 (gen 6 or 7) would be worth it in terms of durability and ride comfort/quality, I'll definitely consider it.
From the reviews I've seen online, BC, ISC and Silvers all seem to be pretty reputable.

When I mentioned "name brand" before I meant by popularity. Name-brand as in, not Tein or some cheapo kit that costs under $1000.

Premium Member
Bc racing is USA made? This is news to me. Inspected maybe. However the design and component quality is historically lacking.

We are not trying to beat you down here, just letting you know there are great options in that price range including koni inserts and good quality springs. Coilovers come with caveats that many people ignore like ride height stability and longevity. Even known good versions like the KW mentioned previously will be shorter lived than a stock suspension by many magnitudes.

Back in my vw days I took a ride in many cars with cheap coilovers. They were brutal rides, and most of them couldn't corner well, and if you went hard you'd lift wheels. Nothing is sketchier than 3 wheels in a corner.

If you want something to daily and maybe hit a hpde try a set of koni yellow inserts and a good spring like rce. Eibach is also a good spring manufacturer I personally trust because i know their process and am a supplier for the materials they use.

Premium Member
Check over at nasioc. I vaguely remember some shock Dyno results for several brands and the feal came out as the lone contender for the price. It is really hard to recommend many others even knowing fa does have some respect in the market.

Feal also has a 441+ or something that you can have custom valved and custom spring rate for your specific use. That's hard to beat for the ~$200 premium for them.

I would suggest calling Turn In Concepts in Cincinnati. They will not guide you wrong and will tell you exactly what to buy. They ship everywhere, ship quickly and have superior customer service to any performance shop I have ever dealt with. Seriously, do some searching about them here and on nasioc. They are the best.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Alrighty. Reviving this thread because I've done some research. From everything I've found on NASIOC and on here, nobody has really posted anything constructive in terms of any comparisons between Feal 441, FA 500, ISC, BC, Silvers, etc. In the WRX group that i'm a member of, some people have the Silvers on their cars and said that they're definitely better ride quality than stock and have had no issues with them even 3 years in.

FA 500 gen 7: These guys seem to be the highest quality within this price range and offer a 5 year warranty. The gen 7s come with a newly designed spring and radial bearings as standard. However, I haven't found a single review on the actual ride quality or comfort of these, as they've only been available since early 2019. They are hand built to order and dyno tested in Virginia.

Silvers NEOMAX: With radial bearings upgrade and swift springs, these come out at around 1550. They do come with a substantial 18 month warranty which includes them shipping you a replacement part if needed so you don't have to be car-less when shipping an entire coilover back (like FA does). Every coilover sold here is hand assembled at their US facility and each one is also dynoed. (not batch dynoed, not random quality inspected)

Feal 441+: Swift springs. also have found zero reviews on the actual ride quality/comfort/performace

My thought process is that basically any substantial coilover replacement will be better than stock on the 2016 WRX, cause right now I'm getting thrown all over the place when taking corners that aren't smooth, and even when driving straight, the car really just doesn't handle bumps or cracks in the road well.

Essentially, from what everyone is saying, the key factor in coilover ride comfort (within the 1500 budget realm) is upgrading to swift springs and adding radial bearings. So. Comparing these two options

So again, does anyone have direct experience with Silvers NEOMAX, FA 500s, or swift spring upgraded 'cheaper' coilovers? If you have, please let me know.

Premium Member
There is a shock Dyno thread at nasioc. What did you learn from that? Do you understand what the shock dynos are? Have you contacted any performance shops and explained your needs and got their recommendations.

Springs are a portion, but a crap damper is going to make your ride harsh and your suspension travel crap. That's the key component here really.

I've personally never used coilovers, I've been in many vehicles with them ranging from kw variant 3 down to 500 dollar bc. I prefer a more compliant ride that's still capable on a track. They are all harsher than the factory when setup properly however some custom valved and higher end models have low and high speed dampening adjustments with a wider range.

If you are looking for a less harsh ride, no coilover is going to fit your bill, however I've been down this road with people before, you'll install them anyway, and claim the ride is better as your teeth are chipping from chattering over every pebble on the road.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
"So again, does anyone have direct experience with Silvers NEOMAX, FA 500s, or swift spring upgraded 'cheaper' coilovers? If you have, please let me know."

Premium Member
"So again, does anyone have direct experience with Silvers NEOMAX, FA 500s, or swift spring upgraded 'cheaper' coilovers? If you have, please let me know."
So you didn't read a word of my post so I'll sum it up for you.

Yes, that's why i won't buy cheap coilovers.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, I read your post. "I've personally never used coilovers."
I'm looking for someone who's actually used or is using any of the brands that I wrote about so I can hear what their impressions of them are.

脝ternum
Shock dynos tell the full story.

Manufacturers that don't publish shock dyno results from the dampers aren't worth considering.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts