Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a hard time finding any WRX/STI reviews for these tires, so I thought I'd offer a little feedback for anyone considering them.

Turn-in is sharp, but not snappy. The car feels really confident in corners and I can't feel any tire roll. Turning feels much more predictable and the car stays planted. I always have had problems with my Subarus tracking straight, and I think a lot of it stems from being really picky about it, but so far these have less pull than any other tires I've had. As per usual, you can feel every bump in the road, but it's not jarring and feels well dampened. I can go over train tracks at the speed limit, without slowing down, and they're probably the most comfortable performance tire to do so. The car sails right over them without feeling like I'm being punched in the kidneys.

Between my 15 and 18 STI, I've had whatever Dunlop came standard on the 15, my stock Yokohama Advans on my 18, Pilot Super Sports, Pilot Sport A/S 3+, and now these Pilot Sport 4S. I don't push my car hard at all, but so far these feel superior overall with comfort and performance. They're slightly more quiet than the Yokohama's for now, but I only have about a thousand miles on them, so we'll see how that plays out.

My Yokohamas had a lot of life left in them, but I battled a lot of tire pull with them, as with the Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I'm almost wondering if changing out the tires for the seasons compromises the way they drive, because it seems like I have constant issues over time. Anyone? I had a road force test and the alignment checked by the tire shop (best in the metro-east STL area). The alignment looked great, so they didn't adjust it, and the road force test showed the car drove straight. I still get a very slight pull to the left at 70mph. It's every fffking car. I don't get it.

Next up, I'm finally getting rid of the wing via trunk swap. I can't take the attention anymore. The mud flaps are also probably going to go and the Cobb exhaust isn't as quiet as I want it to be, so I'm not so sure how long for the world (car) it is. I may go back to stock, since there is nothing more quiet on the market I'm aware of.

Sorry for the lack of proofreading.

Cheers.

·
Æternum
15,516 Posts
Curious to know your thoughts of these vs. the previous Super Sports. I've heard a mixed bag.

Obviously the Pilot Sport family isn't going to win Time Attack or competitive AutoX events, but for the street I think they are some of the best.

The alignment looked great, so they didn't adjust it
Missed opportunity, I'm afraid. OEM alignment specs on your car are terrible. If they are "in spec," then a lot of potential has been left on the table.

I still get a very slight pull to the left at 70mph. It's every fffking car. I don't get it.
Very likely just following the crown of the road. The aggressive caster of the VA STI and summer rubber mean the car will track the road more than most.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TBH, I only had the PSS for a couple months and that was on 9.5 wide wheels, before I realized I made a terrible mistake. I remember them being very loud and harsh over bumps. But, then again, that was with wider wheels.

To add to the initial review, the tires have a nice looking sidewall. It doesn't seem as cluttered with specs. Also, I have not driven them in the rain, yet. I'll never be able to truly comment on wet performance, because I drive cautiously when any moisture is on the pavement.

On a side note, is it normal for brake pads to have to be replaced at 20k miles? I do a lot of transmission braking by downshifting and I rarely aggressively brake. They are squeaking badly at low speed braking after warming up. My 15 had a slight squeak at lower speeds from time to time, but this is worsening. I ordered brake pad gauges.

·
Æternum
15,516 Posts
I remember them being very loud
Huh. That hasn't been my experience, and certainly WAY quieter than winter tires.

On a side note, is it normal for brake pads to have to be replaced at 20k miles?
I'd say that's short, but not abnormal depending on how much city driving you do.

I just checked my maintenance records -- my OEM pads lasted almost exactly 50k miles.

·
Æternum
15,516 Posts
No idea. Might need the backplate lubricated.

I forgot that the 2018 comes with those really really beefy Brembos. Goodness I bet pads for those suckers will be expensive as all getout....

·
Registered
12 Posts
I chose the PS4S when I downsized to 18s. 245/40/18 on previous gen BBS 18s, so same width and offset as stock 19s. For me the tire is a little mixed. The Yokohamas on stock 19s had a harder initial bite on turn in, a tad more responsive. PS4S is a little sloppier by comparison. But at the same time, the car feels a little more nimble than before, and the ride is day and night better vs. 19s. Not nearly as harsh as it used to be.

I'm sure the drastic difference is a combination of the tire, taller sidewall, and smaller, lighter wheels, but the combo is so much nicer for a street car. I actually love it so much that I don't even want to touch the suspension anymore. It's the perfect balance of comfort and stiffness, and I'm not about to ruin a great thing by taking a gamble on aftermarket suspension.

Attachments

·
Æternum
15,516 Posts
I chose the PS4S when I downsized to 18s. 245/40/18 on previous gen BBS 18s, so same width and offset as stock 19s. For me the tire is a little mixed. The Yokohamas on stock 19s had a harder initial bite on turn in, a tad more responsive. PS4S is a little sloppier by comparison. But at the same time, the car feels a little more nimble than before, and the ride is day and night better vs. 19s. Not nearly as harsh as it used to be.

I'm sure the drastic difference is a combination of the tire, taller sidewall, and smaller, lighter wheels, but the combo is so much nicer for a street car. I actually love it so much that I don't even want to touch the suspension anymore. It's the perfect balance of comfort and stiffness, and I'm not about to ruin a great thing by taking a gamble on aftermarket suspension.
Looks great!

As always, I'm a big proponent of the "smallest wheel diameter you can fit" philosophy.

Reactions: ntg44

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks great!

As always, I'm a big proponent of the "smallest wheel diameter you can fit" philosophy.
I completely agree. At least on a sport-oriented street car, the brakes are usually big enough where the smallest wheel that clears the fronts is generally a good rule to go by. Only exception to me is if tire selection sucks by downsizing.

I wouldn't say the stock 19s made the ride unbearably stiff, but it was certainly annoyingly stiff. With 18s, the ride has an almost "German" level of performance/comfort balance. Just right. Even my previous M3 with adaptive dampers and 18s didn't ride this well - the rebound was crap. Huge fan of the stock STI suspension after downsizing.

·
Æternum
15,516 Posts
I completely agree. At least on a street sport-oriented car, the brakes are usually big enough where the smallest wheel that clears the fronts is generally a good rule to go by. Only exception to me is if tire selection sucks by downsizing.

I wouldn't say the stock 19s made the ride unbearably stiff, but it was certainly annoyingly stiff. With 18s, the ride has an almost "German" level of performance/comfort balance. Just right. Even my previous M3 with adaptive dampers and 18s didn't ride this well - the rebound was crap. Huge fan of the stock STI suspension after downsizing.
Subaru went too big with the brakes. The 17s are the best option for my car, and I can even fit some 16" wheels.

There were just so many improvements that could have been made to the old brakes that didn't make the package any larger. Moving to a proper mono-block caliper alone would have been a marked improvement, but noooooooo Subaru needed the "bling factor." They are pretty though....

Reactions: ntg44

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the GR chassis STI wheels mounted up with no issues? I'm looking for a good winter setup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So the GR chassis STI wheels mounted up with no issues? I'm looking for a good winter setup.
None whatsoever. The spokes actually clear the brakes more than stock 19s. You just need to be a little careful when mounting so you don't scrape the pretty calipers :D I believe they also clear the pre facelift 4 piston brakes.

Sorry to derail thread OP. It was my intention to keep the conversation about the PS4S. 🙃

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You actually helped me quite a bit and provided your own feedback. It's relevant. I'm going to seriously consider looking into the GR wheels for winter. I like the subtle look.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts