Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My recent check engine light was mice eating my wiring. The car is at the dealer still and the insurance assessor is checking it out Monday. We'll see what the final bill is.

So how do I keep rodents away from my car. I've heard mothballs, dryer sheets. I'm going to make a extra cruelty bucket trap or two this weekend.

What else can I do?

·
Registered
586 Posts

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,806 Posts
If you have a dog it is unsafe to poison the mouse, because the dog may eat the same poison and die, or it may eat the dead mouse and die. Therefore you cannot poison the mouse.

You can try any product with methyl nonyl ketone (CAS 112-12-9). A 2% solution will keep many mammals away and could work on mice. You can also try pepper spray, peppermint oil, or a combination thereof. The issue is that these are all volatiles and your car generates elevated temperatures, plus most parking areas are well ventilated. Worth a try though.

·
Registered
586 Posts
We put mothballs in and around our RV in the winter, where it's kept in a large storage unit. Seemed to work, though of course pretty stinky.

Last winter, we kept it in a pole barn on a farm and some mice did get in despite using oil of peppermint sachets.

I would vote for mothballs and old-fashioned spring traps around the perimeter and maybe under the car.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm up to 7 cats (two of which have some Maine **** cat in them -- the cat in the above pic looks a lot like it may have some **** cat in him/her) . . . six of whom are allowed in the garage . . . so the occasional mouse who wanders in there or the house really has no chance.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First 4 years in my house I had my indoor only cat. No mouse problems. He passed away (at 15yr) I then get my dog and the next 4years I've had 2 mouse infestations in my driveway. Correlation or causation?:rolleyes:
The dog has more confirmed kills though at 2x mice 2x bunnies.
The cat only had 1x mouse, he was more catch and release.
On the brigh side no signs of mice in the house.

Maine ***** are my sort of cats, here's my old cat helping me tile my bathroom.

·
Super Moderator
1,992 Posts
We cut bars of Irish Spring soap into quarters to put in the MG and the garden shed. So far it has worked a lot better than dryer sheets or moth balls.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts