Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did an oil change today and swapped from 5w30 to 5w40. Found these metal chunks at the bottom of my oil pan. 2011 WRX with ~40k engine miles. Engine also makes a ticking noise but it’s not knock. Any idea what went out? Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 WRX Limited
7 Posts
Sure does look like bearing material. When we see this telltale on our racing engines we cut open the oil filter and examine all the pleats. 98% percent of the time the same materials are in the pleats. Stop running the engine potentially you can do a lot of damage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That looks like bearing material some sort of copper bimetal.
Did an oil change today and swapped from 5w30 to 5w40. Found these metal chunks at the bottom of my oil pan. 2011 WRX with ~40k engine miles. Engine also makes a ticking noise but it’s not knock. Any idea what went out? Thank you.
Deja Vu. I switched to 5W40 and soon after spun a bearing. However, the 5W 40 change was a coincidence in my opinion, not the cause. If it doesn't stick to a magnet and your engine ticks, not sure what else it could be. Not many miles for that to happen, sorry man. You might want to stop driving until you are sure. If it is a bearing, you could quickly ruin your turbo if the banjo bolts are still filtered.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts