Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! :) new to the forum first time posting. I own an 02 wrx sedan and I'm really not looking to spend $1000-$1500+ on coilovers considerin this will be my daily and not a track car. I'd like to lower a little the stock height just looks goofy to me. I found a set of megan racing street series 32 way adjustable coilovers ( MR-CDK-SI02 ) brand new for $400 I've searched and searched online and it seems they go for about $899-$1499 everywhere. Don't get me wrong I know they are low end and megan coilovers have a crap track record but does anyone have experience with these? Are they worth the $400? Is there any other low cost yet decent coilovers I don't know about?

·
Super Moderator
10,883 Posts
Any coilovers worth your time are going to cost several thousand dollars.

Get Koni inserts and rce springs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
Feal or Ohlins makes fixed perch struts as well and they would be great matched with RCE Blacks or Sti Pink springs.

Having had over a half dozen suspension setups on my 2003 wrx I would never do coilovers on a daily driver.

·
Æternum
15,465 Posts
Go for it.

It's cool to make stupid decisions I suppose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,573 Posts
What about throwing some tein s.tech's on the stock struts?
Post of the year! Bravo!

You're either pulling our legs or have not searched. Nothing Tein belongs on a car, but I suspect you knew that!

I'll leave the thread open because of the humour. Bravo again!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe I should explain myself as to why I'd like coilovers. My though is that in the spring,summer and fall I will drop it lower and in the winter (because of snow I'd like to have the option of putting on chains) I'll raise it back up.

·
Super Moderator
10,883 Posts
Maybe I should explain myself as to why I'd like coilovers. My though is that in the spring,summer and fall I will drop it lower and in the winter (because of snow I'd like to have the option of putting on chains) I'll raise it back up.
So twice a year you are going to pay someone a hefty sum of money to completely adjust your suspension. You pick a ride height and stick with it.

There is no argument you can pose for cheap coilovers that would make them a better option than even the stock suspension. Unless you are looking to spend thousands of dollars on your coilovers and several hundred bucks multiple times a year in adjustments, not to mention rebuilds as they are not designed for high mileage your best bet is several spring strut combos available.

As I mentioned earlier koni yellows and rce blacks are a great option. Coupled with new swaybars, stiffer bushings, and a good alignment your car will handle like it's on rails.

·
Super Moderator
10,883 Posts
Snow tires come in all kinds of sizes geared at different situations. I've been happy with my altimax Arctic, and blizzaks are also good.

If you have real snow and icy conditions you may want to investigate a snow tire that isn't a performance winter tire and is studdable. The WRX awd system is dandy in the winter but it isn't unbeatable and improper tires will negate any advantage the AWD may give you.

·
19,573 Posts
Maybe I should explain myself as to why I'd like coilovers..
No.

Check out any of the numerous suspension threads instead ad.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts

Those Megans will only make it through one winter (if you're lucky) before needing to be replaced. You would be better off with something like Koni Yellow inserts with RCE Black springs for the summer, then swap on a set of Forester springs and struts for the winter, getting a new alignment each time of course.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
She might be old but shes only got 30k on the clock and was owned by a rich family who spared no expense

·
19,573 Posts
If that's the case then all the more reason to leave the car alone.

Get good dampers and keep the car as high off the ground as possible and live life.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts