Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. First of all, this isn't a street racing story between me and a Type R.
I'm trying to share a great ride that I just had in my friend's Type R through our local canyon road.

Me and my friend wanted to go for a drive. But rather than taking both of our cars, we decided to go in his car
since I never felt what his car was like through the canyon road. So we're driving up the canyon road at around 80 mph in 3rd gear,
reaching close to 8,000 rpm pushing 6 psi(JRSC). And I LOVED IT!!! I loved the crisp throttle response,
the way the engine reved up and how it sounded, the way the car rotated itself through the twisties, braking, and the list goes on.....
It just fascinated me how well the car is balanced straight from the factory.

Now, let's see...
I know I can keep up with him from a 2nd gear roll in a straight line(My car's slightly modded).
But handling wise, my car overall feels... well.. clumsy. I'm not saying driving my car is not fun. AWD provides more than enough grip through the turns, and I really enjoy driving up the same canyon road in my car. It was just a different experience. Type R feels very precise through the turns while my car slides around all over the place with massive body roll and squealing tires. I knew Type Rs were good cars, but I didn't realize how good they were until today. Oh yeah, and we both have stock suspension...

I need to upgrade my suspension real soon. I'm gonna have to start saving up... a lot...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
Type R's were made straight from the factory to autoX, while the Subbie was not. They handle better, stock vs. stock but the WRX should outrun it in a straight line contest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,770 Posts
The WRX was made to handle the gravel from the factory. Hence the M+S tires and the "I can fit my head in there" wheel gap. Our cars have something like 8-9 inches of movement in stock form. Anybody have any idea why they set it up to rip up the gravel so well in stock form? After all, the market seems more suited for a street prepared car instead of a gravel prepared car that is pretty damn goog on the street. I understand the Rally heritage and I love it, don't get me wrong, but the ITRs are awesome on the street, whereas it takes a few things to get out cars there, tires and sway bars at least.

-joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
Integras do handle well. Mine felt like it had precognitition sometimes. Razor sharp response and quite predictable when doing 9/10ths manuvers. I had a modded suspension and better brakes, and I felt very confident on the twisties goin up against just about anything. A love of mine was to walk away from Fbodies in the curvy bits, granted they devoured me in straight parts. 52/48 weight distro, low cg, and some beefy S-03's added up to a nasty little package in the turns. And ITR's are stacked even more, don't they have a LSD too?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NJwrbT-WRX said:
The WRX was made to handle the gravel from the factory. Hence the M+S tires and the "I can fit my head in there" wheel gap. Our cars have something like 8-9 inches of movement in stock form. Anybody have any idea why they set it up to rip up the gravel so well in stock form? After all, the market seems more suited for a street prepared car instead of a gravel prepared car that is pretty damn goog on the street. I understand the Rally heritage and I love it, don't get me wrong, but the ITRs are awesome on the street, whereas it takes a few things to get out cars there, tires and sway bars at least.

-joe
I agree. I know my car will tear him apart on gravel road. I don't think he'll even wanna take his car to a gravel road in the fear of scratching his pretty yellow paint. haha But still, my car is a daily driver and it'll stay on well paved road 99.9% of the time. That's why I'm planning on ditching my stock suspension for something else that'll sacrifice a little bit of off road-ability, but will give me better handling on tarmac.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Wow

I like that Integra
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
theyve been beatin us in autoX for a while now...10 years of development on the chassis and engine really shines in the type R.
its one badass machine.

too bad they get stolen all the time down in texas...houston especially. ha da friends get stolen right out of his locked down apartment complex. :(

*sniff* poor "WTF OMG" integra
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
TristineLim said:
Jackson Racing Supercharger with custom "polished" intake.
what kind of HP is he pushing with the supercharger? has he ever had it dynoed? do you happen to know what the final drive is like on one of those and how it compares to the WRX?

marcus
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
ITR's are by far the best FWD handling car out there. They are so light and balanced perfectly. I'd love to have one, especially s/c'd. You can't run much psi on an ITR though, with the high compression. Do you know how much he's running?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Jefro said:
ITR's are by far the best FWD handling car out there. They are so light and balanced perfectly. I'd love to have one, especially s/c'd. You can't run much psi on an ITR though, with the high compression. Do you know how much he's running?
either 6 or 8psi...im guessing 8

but hey ive seen in person an integra GSR motor pushing 25 lbs of boost on the street and raping vipers left and right so its possible that hes running more maybe?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What kinda HP he's running? I'm not sure. He hasn't got his car tuned or dynoed yet. His other mods include intake, headers, exhaust, test pipe, and ignition, so I'm thinking a little over 200 hp at the wheels considering that stock ITRs dyno at about 165.

What psi? He's running the basic set up from JRSC which I believe is 5.5 psi. His boost guage reads a little below 0.5 bar.

As of now, we're about even from a 2nd gear roll all the way up to 110 or so. That's gonna change soon though.. He is going to get his car tuned by Christmas and will be pushing 8 psi. Bastard.... I need to make more money haha

Final drive? you mean driving impression? engine feels fairly smooth considering that it hasn't been tuned yet. Car starts really pulling hard once the VTEC kicks in.. Sounds sweet, too. It doesn't feel as torquey as a WRX, but it's pretty darn fast once it gets going.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oh gearing... the Type R desperately needs 6th gear. Tach needle stays at 4,000 rpm cruising at 70 mph. :D But the gearing is perfect for spirited driving since it keeps the RPM above 6,000 rpm(vtec engagement point) every shift.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
TristineLim said:
oh gearing... the Type R desperately needs 6th gear. Tach needle stays at 4,000 rpm cruising at 70 mph. :D But the gearing is perfect for spirited driving since it keeps the RPM above 6,000 rpm(vtec engagement point) every shift.

I've never driven a type R, but I liked how the lude type-s handles... It is by far a more crisp feeling car. It just wasn't as practical as the WRX or I would have bought it. Too bad they couldn't get the RSX-S as good as the type R.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
subineer said:



I've never driven a type R, but I liked how the lude type-s handles... It is by far a more crisp feeling car. It just wasn't as practical as the WRX or I would have bought it. Too bad they couldn't get the RSX-S as good as the type R.
Well, imagine how Prelude SH will be like with about 400 lbs less. :)
And I don't think it's fair to compare RSX-S to a ITR. RSX-S is a replacement for Integra GSR, and I think Honda did a very good job of improving on the old GSR. ITR replacement hasn't arrived in US yet as you know while everyone else in the world is enjoying the Honda Integra Type R.... :( well.... someday...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
TristineLim said:


Well, imagine how Prelude SH will be like with about 400 lbs less. :)
And I don't think it's fair to compare RSX-S to a ITR. RSX-S is a replacement for Integra GSR, and I think Honda did a very good job of improving on the old GSR. ITR replacement hasn't arrived in US yet as you know while everyone else in the world is enjoying the Honda Integra Type R.... :( well.... someday...

......what else is new: STI, GT-R...... the list goes on.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top