Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys get away with having a boost controller and not voiding the warenty?

Id get one but I dont know how i would hide it from the dealer when i take it for service...

·
980 Posts
easy, put it in, drive around until its dealer time, take it out and make it stock again. see no sweat. install / deinstall takes 5min at most w/ pliers and zip ties.

chris

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it reall that easy to install a manual boost controller? what does it hook up to?

Or can you give me some kind of web page that shows how to hook it up?

·
Registered
424 Posts
YES!!! They ARE REALLY *THAT* easy to install/deinstall. It only takes 5 minutes to change if you fumble with it and drop it on the ground and have to search for it for 4 of those minutes. ;)

It has about 4-6in. of tube on either side of it, all you do is disconnect the factory tubing from the waste-gate and from the turbo pressure-nipple. The MBC attatches to those SAME points. Stock tube goes into the glove-compartment for road-side reinstall if a trip to the dealer is needed.

I'd go further into the actual points of attatchment, but it's been discussed thuroughly in other threads. Try a search and you should be able to find *detailed* instructions with photos and diagrams.

It's too easy to change NOT to get one, and Bang-for-the-Buck is better than ANY other upgrade.

-Jason

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how do you set such a thing and know what the boost is at? i have a boost gauge (stock one at mpa)?

I may have to look into getting one... although im not that familiar with working on cars...

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Setting the MBC is half the fun. :)

It involves boost runs in 3rd or 4th gear and watching what the max boost on your gauge is. Stop the car and twist the knob on the MBC (usually under the hood) in or out depending on whether you need more or less squeeze.

JoeP MBC works great for me. www.boostcontroller.com

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
A mbc is the easiest thing you can install on your wrx. It took me 15 mins because I knocked over a bottle of oil in my garage with the cord from the light I was using. And then 15 mins to set it. All you do is take out the factory tubes and replace them with the mbc and its hoses. It even conveniently mounts in a empty bracket right next to the wastegate. Here is a pick of an install of a hallman mbc. the camera is ontop of the turbo looking out so it looks a little odd.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Do yourself a favor and learn your car a little before you mess with one. Not trying to be rude, but it sounds like you are clueless when it comes to mechanics (who takes their car to the dealer for regular maintenance anyway? :p ). Learn how a turbo works, and then WRX specifics. Something as simple as installing the MBC backwards can cause you to blow your engine...

VV

Also check the sticky at the top of the page. Linked for ya:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8870

03WRX83 said:
also, any recomendations of a good MBC?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I installed mine backwards the first time, and I felt really stupid for it. Just make sure you have a boost guage, you must have that. When you install the MBC just make sure you watch your boost and if you see it go to high cut back on the throttle, then check and make sure its installed right or adjust your boost. But VeteVert is also right, learn as much about the car as possible it will help down the line with future upgrades or problems the car might have and will end up saving you money.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Ummm.... I'll stop responding to your questions unless you read the answers I've already posted.

Just kidding. Hehehe. :D

is2scooby said:
Setting the MBC is half the fun. :)

It involves boost runs in 3rd or 4th gear and watching what the max boost on your gauge is. Stop the car and twist the knob on the MBC (usually under the hood) in or out depending on whether you need more or less squeeze.

JoeP MBC works great for me. www.boostcontroller.com

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now here is a question i have been wondering.... When you install the Joe P MBC and run the car will it be set at stock boost initally or will you have to test drive it to first get it at stock boost, then set it to the 15.5 level?

Or when i install it the boost level will be who knows where..?

Also, when i take the MBC off and put the stock parts back on will the stock setting be back to 14.5 psi?

Thanks again everyone for your help with my stupidness..

·
Registered
383 Posts
Check your PMs...

VV

03WRX83 said:
Now here is a question i have been wondering.... When you install the Joe P MBC and run the car will it be set at stock boost initally or will you have to test drive it to first get it at stock boost, then set it to the 15.5 level?

Or when i install it the boost level will be who knows where..?

Also, when i take the MBC off and put the stock parts back on will the stock setting be back to 14.5 psi?

Thanks again everyone for your help with my stupidness..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
but what about when i take the boost controller back off and return it to the stock way it was before.. will the factor boost level return?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts