ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is an over view of the engine compartment

Here is a shot of the connections

Here is what I did with the factory boost sensing line.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
ok so i just got my joe p now this conection we see here

that brass thing is the boost controller ?

also on the mbc the nipple on the bottom go's in to the round silver on the right and the back nipple goes to the conection the left right?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the brass thing is my MBC, it's a Dawes Device. It does what it supposed to do, so I couldn't see spending $35 more for the Joe P. They are alot like the Ronco Show Time Rotisserie, you just set it, and forget it.

On the Joe P site it says the nipple on the bottom goes to the turbo, and the nipple on the side goes to the wastegate.

http://www.joepmbc.com/installation.htm

Heh, heh, i said nipple.

Good Luck

·
Registered
110 Posts
just to make sure the one hose that goes in to the silver cap in the front is the turbo and the one on the back side is the waste gate right?

and the factory senceing line do i just pul it with a screw?

·
Registered
110 Posts
btw i was not insulting your device since i am new to the turbo thing i got confused since it looks diff than mine .

:)

·
Registered
145 Posts
looks like the pictures are taken from the back of the hood to the front(or by the passenger door into the engine compartment)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Root: Could you please please PLEASE post some fresh links for your MBC tutorial? The pictures don't come up.

I think I have my JoeP hooked up incorrectly, and I've been trying for many days to find some pics. Please have mercy on me! Thx.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Help!

Thanks Root. I can see them now, but I still don't get it. I'm turb-illiterate. I'd really appreciate if you could tell me what's what in the most basic terms:

Standing in front of the car:
The hose running to the left is the...

The hose attached the round thingy over the turbo is the...

The hose running to the right is the...

Thanks, Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, The hose on the left (if I understand the question right) is the factory boost sensing line, it is capped off with a screw and turned back into the holder it just came out of.

The round thing on the left is the wastegate, that goes to the output side of your boost controller.

On the right side the input of the boost controller goes to the compressor side of the turbo on its way to the intercooler.

The factory boost sensing line is capped with a screw, the rest of the factory tee and hosing is removed in case it is needed again later in life. It is about 5 inches from waste gate to turbo compressor. I used about 3 inches of silicone hosing on each side of the MBC. I used a large zip tie to hold the MBC away from everything so as not to get too hot and melt the tubing.

I think I got all your questions?

Good Luck,
Justin

·
Registered
341 Posts
WHEW! Yes, much thanks for your help, Justin. I got the JoeP connected correctly, but don't have the boost set yet. Early on, I spiked the boost up to 22 or 23 psi a couple times. Do you suppose I might have blown something? I've got the adjusting screw almost completely out of the device, and it still peaks way over 15psi. I'll get it eventually, I suppose. Perhaps I should just put it back to stock, and see if I messed anything up. Again, thanks for all the hand-holding. You're a pal.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Unfortunately, I have a Dawes Device instead of a JoeP. A majority of folks here are running that though and may chime in and help.

Goood luck,
Justin

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
here's a good shot of the wastegate actuator side, this should come from the "OUT" side of the MBC.

thanks gifty for hte great pics w/ descriptions.

dR

·
Registered
584 Posts
Has anyone heard that instead of putting a bolt in the line to the FBC you just take the OEM vac lines from the turbo, and the wastegate, and then connect them together with a vac connector 'closing the loop'? Will this do anything differently? I believe I heard this from TXS...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Manual Boost Controller Do-It-Yourself

I've been driving my car with a TurboXS manual boost controller for the last few months and took it off to trade for an up pipe today since I'm going to get a Cobb reflash soon. I bought the MBC used and without instructions, and couldn't really find a guide that made it clear what to do. So I got out my camera and took pictures as I took it out today.

1) This is the t-fitting for the stock MBC. You'll want to hang on to these vacuum hoses and not use them with your MBC as there is a restrictor in them.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
2) The first hose is connected to the turbo outlet. The hose is 3/16". It'll fit pretty tight, but make sure you use a hose clamp to hold it on. This one was kind of a pain to tighten, especially with the turbo and the manifold still hot since it had only been sitting for about 45 minutes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts