Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i sit back to read my newest issue of import tuner....and i see this add for this "mazdaspeed protege" This thing is supposedly sporting a garrett t25 ball bearing turbo, with an intercooler...it dosent list any performance figures....anyone know how fast this car will be when it hits the streets?

·
Registered
480 Posts
It should match up very well with the Nissan. The MazdaSpeed Protege is very nice. If I had no WRX and about $20k budget, I'd get one in a heartbeat. In black though, not the orange.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I like them too...I think the hatchback/wagon looks cooler than the sedan. Anyone else agree?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I actually just got out of a Mazda MP3 to get my WRX... They're great car and that MP3 handles like nothing else, but it's soooo hard to extract good amounts of power from the engine. It's not a strong and it's hard to get boost over 10psi...

That being said, if you line up with a mazdaspeed protege and you hit some twisties, he could very well pull on you in the curves (and quite fast).... however, I would never trade my wrx! i love my baby!:D

·
Registered
188 Posts
i was at the dealer yesterday with one of my friends, and asked about it, they told me that they were goin to be selling them for like 3,000 over list, i know some cars they car do this with and get away with it, because in 2001 when i bought my type R all the dealers wanted way over sticker, but the type R they didn't make that many of, and this dealer told me he was getting 50 of the mazdaspeed one, i donno, but i like the car but if they are goin to want like 23k for it, they are crazy

·
Registered
480 Posts
Evil Imports said:
i was at the dealer yesterday with one of my friends, and asked about it, they told me that they were goin to be selling them for like 3,000 over list., i know some cars they car do this with and get away with it, because in 2001 when i bought my type R all the dealers wanted way over sticker, but the type R they didn't make that many of, and this dealer told me he was getting 50 of the mazdaspeed one, i donno, but i like the car but if they are goin to want like 23k for it, they are crazy
Exactly. For 23k, you can get a WRX with AWD and almost 60 more HP. It was the same deal with the Mini Cooper S. I was seriously interested in the car, acceleration wasn't exactly overpowering, but I loved the handling, Salesman told me there'd be a $2500 mark-up, "desirable vehicle premium" or some such BS. I said, "No thanks. I'm going to go look at the Subaru WRX." :D

·
Registered
339 Posts
You definitely don't buy a Mazdaspeed Protege or a Mini Cooper for drag racing. Neither a WRX, but to each his own. But the extra power in the new Mazda must make driving it so much fun. If they make a wagon version, that'll be tight.

·
Registered
110 Posts
From what I read in car and driver (or was it motor trend?...) they didn't lower the compression, so I'm thinking that it's not going to do too well with above stock boost without worrying about breaking something.

·
Registered
88 Posts
AmSFighter said:
From what I read in car and driver (or was it motor trend?...) they didn't lower the compression, so I'm thinking that it's not going to do too well with above stock boost without worrying about breaking something.
If that's the case then that sucks! :rolleyes: I really thought that it would be like most any other factory turbo'd vehicle and be able to do a turbo swap, etc. The GT25 is really a small turbo regardless of boost pressure.

Other than that I've only heard raves about the handling capabilities and would be a really sweet car with a big turbo if possible :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
mazda

From what I readed it's pretty quick. I think it was a automoble magazine. zero to sixty 6.9 and threw the quart at 14.9 93.2
that's faster then a se r. And with a 9 over 4 compression there's still room for more work.:eek:

·
Registered
17 Posts
That is an impressive time. I didn't expect it to be that quick. The one article I saw on it had it in the 15s. Also, I think it is only available in the sedan.

On a side note, I just picked up my WRX Wagon Monday and a good friend of mine has had his MS Protege on order for about 2 months. He should be getting it any day. After both cars get broken in, we may do a comparisson. We're both hardcore miata drivers and I think it might be fun to compare head to head and then switch cars and see what we think. I expect the my WRX to be faster in a straight line but I am expecting good things from the handling on the Protege. Both cars will be completely stock for the test.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Billio, keep us posted on the comparison! Interesting...

·
Registered
211 Posts
December Motor Trend

Speaking of Mazda's, did anyone see the new issue of MT? Page 38 has a pic of a new Mazda, the Mazda6 MPS. It is a 2.3/280hp, awd car with 6 speed. Looks alittle like the IS-300, I think. I think it looks pretty sweet and with 280hp stock, it should move pretty good I would imagine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
the mazda has one big drawback, they didnt lower the compression on the block and the kit was made with saving money and not changing ANY internals. needless to say you cant mod it much

·
Registered
100 Posts
Blackrex03 said:
the mazda has one big drawback, they didnt lower the compression on the block and the kit was made with saving money and not changing ANY internals. needless to say you cant mod it much
on the contrary...high compression is great for turbocharged motors you just need some computerized engine management. granted you have a smaller window for tuning but thats what the stand alone is for.

high compression lets you run a larger turbocharger with less lag.
many of the turbo GSR's and Type R's running ridiculously low times on the strip will provide evidence to this.

and the compression is not a factor of the block so much as it is of the pistons..granted a thicker headgasket can change it, but thats the ghetto way of doing it. im sure a few BPU can push this car pretty far, its a very capable platform.

i feel sorry for the mp3 and mp5 guys who bought aftermarket turbos.

EDIT: i almost forgot to mention, the real lowpoint of these is the tranny...even mp5 power was a bit much for them, but with turbo is pushing the limits of the stock transmission and any major power made will require a lot of backup units or something new to be fabricated...but hey were all subaru drivers we know all about that predicament!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
i almost forgot to mention, the real lowpoint of these is the tranny
So true. I managed to break the tranny on my old MP3 with ~15,000 miles on it. I broke a shift fork and mangled a whole bunch of other stuff. The trannies are very fragile and can barely handle the power stock, let alone with mods. I would hope that they beefed up the tranny a bit for the MSP but who knows...

1 - 20 of 84 Posts