ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, a short history and info for you guys.

I run KYB AGX'es with STi RA springs, and I had s03's on RS wheels (225/50/16). I ran them at autocross in my area, and have been very consistently at the top of the STX class, and within the top 20 PAX since I've been running the class (june/july last year -> present). With the suspension setup I've got, the car has rotated well, in sweepers the car is pretty neutral, turns in decently, etc. I know my suspension is not at hte level of coilovers/camber plates, etc, but its pretty good.

I recently wore out the s03's, and went to 215/45/16 Azenis. I got them Friday before the Oscoda prosolo, and drove them to the event (300-400miles?). I figured this would break them in. At Oscoda, i placed 6th of 8 in STX, felt I was driving OK but the car wasn't handling very well. I chalked it up to running on concrete which I hadn't done before, and getting used to the ProSolo format, which I hadn't done before. I came home feeling that I just didnt' drive very well, and that is what I figured was my problem.

This weekend I did a 2-day local autocross event with the milwaukee region. Its my home course, and I'm pretty used to it as far as the way teh car reacts to the pavement and such. Its an asphauld surface. Saturday I had a codriver in my car, he usually pax'es in the top 5, and he is a very good driver. Neither of us could pull together good runs in teh car, I got 2nd in STX but nobody really had a good day, I left the event on Saturday feeling that the car just didn't seem to grip as well, and we'd tried different stiffness settings on the AGX'es, different pressures, etc.

Today (sunday) was the 2nd event, and my codriver codrove Steve Garjnobst's WRX (nationally prepped STX WRX). He was running times nearly 2 seconds faster than I was, and I was driving as fast as I could, and not getting the same results. I made only a .4sec improvement in my time from the first run to the end of the day. Over the course of the day, I begun to think that maybe these new azenis are just not gripping like I'd expected for some reason. I took my last run in the nationally prepped STX wrx, with my best run prior to that being a 61.1xxx. I jumped in the car for the first time ever, and ran a 59.3xx, only .2 sec slower than the guy that had codriven for me Saturday.

I'm completely stumped why I'm not able to drive my car that fast. There's a few possibilities:
a) the azeins I got are a fluke, and don't grip
b) the azeins I got are not broken in yet (this doesn't seem likely)
c) the car has more rear grip than before and is less neutral
d) the tires are just too small, heat up too fast, and don't grip as well as a 225/45/17.

Any ideas?

Jay

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Try to break in the tires a bit more and play around with the pressures a bit, maybe? I'm no autox expert by any means :p but just throwing some ideas out there. I guess the size could be a factor, but I'm not sure how much of a difference there'd be between a 215 and a 225...
What made you change from the S03's?

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Jay-

Don't know what the ambient temps were, but azenis one failing seems to be heat- they get greasy pretty quick w/ hot ambient temps.

The 215 Azeni is actually pretty wide and is very close to many 225's (not sure on the S03), so I don't think it's width.

They don't have a lot of tread to begin w/, so I don't thnk it's a break in deal (although they probbly will get a little better as they're shaved).

Could be your just very used to the S03's and the Azeni's are communicating differently.

I know that the "Azeni" guys tend to run pretty high pressures- even though it's supposed to have a relatively stiff sidewall????

I know (particularly on shorter tighter courses) my buddy used to kick my ass w/ the short Azeni's:rolleyes:

Mike

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Franz-
I ran pressures varying from 40 -55psi front, and from 45 to 38 rear, even up to 50 rear yesterday.

Mike-
I ran the 59.3 on azenis, and have driven them before. I just can't quite figure out why these don't seem to have the grip.

I am hoping to find somebody with a set of 17's w/ Azenis to try out on my car to see if it feels better with them on a known set of good tires. I'm wondering if I got a bad set of tires or something. Feeling the tread while cool/warm/hot at autox today they don't feel like the same compound as what other people were running.

Most noticable areas where I was sliding in my car but gripped in Steve's were the faster 'lane change' type turns, a not-so-tight chicago box, and some faster slaloms. His car felt more similar to how mine felt with the s03's.

Jay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts