Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I getting ready to order an 2017 WRX Limited. Trying to decide if I should order with the Performance Exhaust or get aftermarket.

I want some sound from my car, but don't want it overly loud or much highway noise. Do not plan on a tune and only keep cars about 2 years.

I'm 54 and do a 120 mile commute each day over half on the highway.

Having a hard time picking an exhaust from YouTube videos.

Suggestions...

· Registered
500 Posts
I have the SPT (STi) exhaust on my '16 Premium and it is loud and drones badly on the highway. I'm 46 and searching for a more sensible exhaust with a good note but not obnoxious; one that doesn't drone so much. I've had louder than this one on my previous turbo'd vehicle. While louder, it didn't drone nearly as much as this one. I've since heard the stock exhaust and I strongly recommend going that direction. If you can, go to a dealer and listen. The stock one sounds good when you get on it, a moderate "growl", and mild when you're just cruising.

I mean, I want as good exhaust note as possible - and still searching. However, it's impossible to get that 8 cylinder rumble out of a turbo'd 4 cylinder, which sucks.

I wish someone would've told how much the SPT drones, so I hope this helps you. You'll love the WRX, regardless. (My wife hates it, though, due to the sound.) Best of luck!

· Village Idiot
3,468 Posts
I would go with the stock exhaust from the factory. If you find it unsuitable, the Invidia q300 is very mild on the new WRX's but still sounds fairly nice. Keep in mind, you aren't going to get any rumble from the exhaust no matter what system you run as the new 2.0L engine in the WRX incorporates equal length headers which eliminates that rumble that Subaru's were most famous for in the past. The exhaust note you get from these 2.0L motors is a more refined growl.

· Registered
365 Posts
I have the SPT (STi) exhaust on my '16 Premium and it is loud and drones badly on the highway. I'm 46 and searching for a more sensible exhaust with a good note but not obnoxious; one that doesn't drone so much. I've had louder than this one on my previous turbo'd vehicle. While louder, it didn't drone nearly as much as this one. I've since heard the stock exhaust and I strongly recommend going that direction. If you can, go to a dealer and listen. The stock one sounds good when you get on it, a moderate "growl", and mild when you're just cruising.

I mean, I want as good exhaust note as possible - and still searching. However, it's impossible to get that 8 cylinder rumble out of a turbo'd 4 cylinder, which sucks.

I wish someone would've told how much the SPT drones, so I hope this helps you. You'll love the WRX, regardless. (My wife hates it, though, due to the sound.) Best of luck!
2nd this. I test drove a 2015 (maybe 16) with the STI exhaust and I did not like it. It was hard to speak with the dealer in the passenger seat on the highway. It did sound mean and throaty at idle. But I definitely would not want it.

· Water.....sometimes waves
2,183 Posts
I like my stock exhaust. At 21000 miles it sounds a little better than new also. On my old Harley I just drilled a hole in the baffle in the factory mufflers and the thing sounded as good as aftermarket pipes.

· Registered
80 Posts

I'm surprised to hear your dissatisfaction with the STI exhaust upgrade for the WRX. I just picked up a 2 month old STI exhaust off of Craigslist for a great deal. It turned out to be the version for STI which is identical except for the addition of the flow thru resonator right after the flange. It sounds great! Just a bit deeper tone, with no drone. It has the ability to free flow better than the original and you get the nicer double wall SS tips.

Only difference is the resonator, direct bolt in.

Has the dual inlet/outlet mufflers with larger mid-pipe.

Heavier SS tips, polished SS mufflers and still a factory piece.

I'm 55 years old and didn't want any drone, so I took a chance on this system for $400. I'd admittedly have a hard time coughing up the original $1,100 asking price, but I'm very satisfied. I've thought about removing the resonator on mine because I sometimes think it's too quiet. But after hearing your dislike for the system minus the resonator, I'll just leave mine the way it is.

ChristopherWRX since this area is dead straight, consider adding a resonator to yours. It might be just what you need to fall in love with it. :D

· Registered
34 Posts
I have the Invidia Cat-less DP linked up to a Tsudu N1 Single Exhaust.
Nice sound, not too too loud. And the drone isn't too bad at all.
Can easily have conversations with people no matter the speed.

· Registered
92 Posts
My 2013 STi came with the Subaru performance system and it drones on the highway , not too bad , but enough that you DO have a hard time listening to the stereo . I have since purchased a stock system off of craigslist , but have yet to install it . The performance system sounds great at idle and looks bad-ass ! So I put up with the drone for now .

· For External Use Only
3,884 Posts
I have the Invidia Cat-less DP linked up to a Tsudu N1 Single Exhaust.
Nice sound, not too too loud. And the drone isn't too bad at all.
Can easily have conversations with people no matter the speed.
That is an absurdly loud exhaust setup, lol.

Catless DP and Fart can probably isn't the "mature" combo he's looking for.

· Premium Member
47,181 Posts
I'm nearly 50 and still like loud cars, have a 4 inch Nameless exhaust on my BRZ, lol.
I think I'm permanently 12 or something..

edited for accuracy..

· Registered
16 Posts
I getting ready to order an 2017 WRX Limited. Trying to decide if I should order with the Performance Exhaust or get aftermarket.

I want some sound from my car, but don't want it overly loud or much highway noise. Do not plan on a tune and only keep cars about 2 years.

I'm 54 and do a 120 mile commute each day over half on the highway.

Having a hard time picking an exhaust from YouTube videos.

Suggestions...
I have a 2017 WRX and went with a custom axle back. I just did a single 2 1/2" .It costed me $200 and sounds awesome. Heres a link to the YouTube video: https://youtu.be/avnIjI3Zkj4

· Registered
467 Posts
I'm 40 years young and installed a 3 inch Nameless axel back exhaust on my 17 WRX last night. I've got to say I love the sound! Leaving a stop light it reminds you and folks next to you that you are driving a WRX, but on the highway at cruising speed it almost sounds stock.

· Premium Member
47,181 Posts
I'm 40 years young and installed a 3 inch Nameless axel back exhaust on my 17 WRX last night. I've got to say I love the sound! Leaving a stop light it reminds you and folks next to you that you are driving a WRX, but on the highway at cruising speed it almost sounds stock.
My Nameless (It's actually the 4", I was wrong before, on the BRZ) is perhaps a tad louder than I'd prefer for highway drone...but I have to say, in traffic, everyone knows I'm there. I see it as a safety feature. :)

Off-topic, since it's my BRZ and not a WRX, but I'm an attention wh0re..stock versus Nameless axleback..

· Village Idiot
3,468 Posts
My Nameless (It's actually the 4", I was wrong before, on the BRZ) is perhaps a tad louder than I'd prefer for highway drone...but I have to say, in traffic, everyone knows I'm there. I see it as a safety feature. :)

Off-topic, since it's my BRZ and not a WRX, but I'm an attention wh0re..stock versus Nameless axleback..

Oh God, Ray. That sounds much more beautiful than I had imagined.

· Registered
2015 ISM WRX Premium SPT package
263 Posts
If you're up for spending $1100 on the cat back exhaust go for the Corsa. There is no highway drone whatsoever. You only hear the exhaust when you want to hear it.

I have it installed with the turboXS J pipe, and still I only hear it when I step on the gas or WOT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
47,181 Posts
That BRZ sounds good man. :thumbup:
Oh God, Ray. That sounds much more beautiful than I had imagined.
Thanks guys! I was actually pleasantly surprised, myself. I was afraid of it sounding too much like a Civic, but I feel like it has a little more character than that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.