ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
installed a helix up/dp and a greddy evo2 catback this week.. and I seem to be experiencing a strange exhaust leak.. doesn't seem to be making much noise (uppipe that is), but i can smell exhaust fumes in the car while i'm driving. Not all the time, just once in a while I'll notice it, and somtimes it'll be enough to give me a headache :eek3: Don't get me wrong, i know not having cats will give me stinky exhaust.. just didn't expect to be smelling it in the cabin with the ac on and the windows up :)

anyone around in the westminster/broomfield (100th and wads) area who is gifted in exhaust leak detection and correction? :D

TIA

-eli

EDIT: ok, so how about anywhere in the denver metro area? :) or does anyone have any tricks for finding exhaust leaks, or even determining if there's a leak to begin with?

·
Banned
5,806 Posts
Is it only when you stop at a light or even when you're driving? I can smell the fumes when I roll up to a stoplight, like they're catching up to me or something. Potent stuff... Does it sound normal?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
svc said:
Is it only when you stop at a light or even when you're driving? I can smell the fumes when I roll up to a stoplight, like they're catching up to me or something. Potent stuff... Does it sound normal?
no, i get those fumes at the stoplight too, but i'll smell those fumes from time to time just driving along.. windows up or down, ac on or off.. :confused:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
svc said:
Hmm... You could always submerse your car in shallow pond and see where bubbles come out :eek3:
hahaha.. someone suggested a putting a lighter near each joint and watching for flame, but frankly that freaks me out. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
svc said:
This could be a stupid question, but is the air vent on recycle or outside air?
outside air.. but i would think that'd only matter if the car were stopped.. why do you ask? :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try getting about four feet of small hose. Like vacume line or something. Place one end of it by your ear. Move the other end of the hose around your exhaust anywhere you suspect a leak. If there is any leak where you are holding the hose you will be able to hear it very well. As long as you can reach the offending leak you will be able to hear it. Then you still have to fix it.

If you want to know what you are listening for try holding one end to your ear and blow gently into the other end. It doesn't take much.

Good Luck,

Ian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts