Subaru WRX Forum banner

Mark Ramirez is a fricking hero

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  FastRS 
#1 ·
So I was in evergreen last night with kellie and her friend coming down to denver in my car. We were heading down highway 74 out of evergreen when I noticed my temp. gauge was a little higher than normal. Pretty soon it starts to get really scary high and wound up completely pegged on the H by the time I could pull off the road (windy road, was coasting in N the whole way too). Shut the car off immediately get out and find the radiator devoid of coolant. Kellie calls Mark R. at like 11pm tells him what happened and he met us at this 7-11 we walked to. He then takes us to my car and we determine that the coolant feed hose for the turbo had sprung a leak. We remove the thing and go back to his house.

Turns out that some genius cox had done some really ghetto fabulous work with hose clamps and one of the hose clamps had eaten it's way through the line causing a pretty heinous leak that donated the coolant capacity of my engine to the municipality of Evergreen.

We hang out in Mark R's garage until 1am finding a fix and get the coolant feed line sorted out. By the time we got everything back in the car and the car running it was around 2am and Mark had to be at work today.

So I nominate today to be "Mark Ramirez is a fricking hero day" or "punch a cox in the face day" whichever seems to be more fitting at the time.

As for how the car is... so far everything seems normal, no strange readouts on the gauges and no different noises and the engine still feels strong... but who knows... I'm going to have to do a compression and leakdown test when I get back to Laramie and see what blackstone labs has to say about bearing content in the oil when I do my next oil change.

Three cheers for mark!

See less See more
#4 ·
MarkySue is indeed a hero. Huuuuuuge thanks to picking our stranded selves up in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night, and even bigger thanks for donating his time, skills, and huuuuge collection of parts to the cause. I don't know anyone else in the entire world who would have been able to remedy our situation faster and more easily than Mark did.

Mark=Awesome!

#7 ·
Analog_909

Sir

I do not know who you are or what you are trying to prove. I understand you may be upset but I believe you have the wrong party. I know the car you are talking about but you seem to have your story a little messed up. That car was built several years ago (for a very good friend of mine) and actually many “techs” have worked on the car including all three of us at various times. I also believe it was worked on in Evergreen at another shop, and as stated Mark Ramirez also turned some wrenches on it. Are you saying you didn’t inspect it before you purchased it or before you took a trip in it? You purchased the car “as is” instead of building a car yourself. I do not know what your mechanical ability is and I do not care. You got “your car” fixed for free and didn’t even offer any sort of payment to my friend for his hard work, Bad form.

Being upset is one thing but sitting behind your computer screen stroking your cyber balls posting things you would never have the guts to say face to face "punch a cox in the face day" is entirely another. This car was possibly built before you could even drive. We have been tuning Subaru’s since before most people thought they were cool, so I take this very personally.

I am here at the office awaiting your apology. If you do not want to apologize publicly on this board as part of this post, come on down.

#9 ·
DiscoGsus

I was not trying to ruin the post. I am really upset that you allowed this post on here in whole as is it. I do not know who you are either but I feel this is between me and analog. Mark is a friend of mine and brought this to my attenion. I am one of the Cox that is mentioned in this post so I have a very big right to be here. I posted this under a personal name as not to reflect on the company I represent. I think this is BS and that part of his post should be eliminated or he should publicly apoigize for it. I understand he was upset but that is no reason to post crap like that.

Joseph

#11 ·
I just saw the post count of 1 and saw a troll, not the most openly respected tech in the region, and someone being not so kind to a member of the board who is a regular poster.

I didn't see this as a blaming thread. I just saw it as someone helping another sube out and being thanked for it. Obviously the whole story has not been posted, but I will stifle myself more in the future.

I agree that taking the man out for a meal and beers, and paying for the parts would be a good thing (at the very least offer and be turned down.)

But I will butt out and see if any other part of the story comes out. And/or an apology.

#12 ·
More

#15 ·
Steering this in a more positive direction. For today, LegacyMax is my hero. He scored me the pressure sensor/boost control solenoid assembly I have been trying to find for months for me EJ20G conversion.

Marc R. has also been a great help with information and contacts on the project. He supplied me part numbers and websites for custom AWIC parts, not to mention numerous e-mail exchanges of tech and allowing me time poking around under his hood, and riding in his car. Lastly, Joe C. has also been a great help steering me towards parts and giving me his input on this. This is the beauty of the Subaru community. Guys with years and years of serious wrenching experience don't hesitate to give a duffer like me a few minutes of their time.

Lastly, I have had my head under the hood and ridden in the broken car in question, and can't say as it struck me as Mickey Mouse at all. Sure, there was plenty of custom work and fabrication that went into making that beast run. But that is what you do when you are on the cutting edge of something like tuning a Subaru; especially when the powers that be make us wait 8 years longer than the rest of the world to get a real WRX...

#16 ·
Jesus. I had no intention of starting yet another holy war over a group of people we are probably all tired of hearing about and how much they suck. I can go dig through archives on other subaru sites out there if I want to hear about that crap.

It annoys me that people out there think their reputations are so freaking fragile that they take 2 off color comments in a rant about a crappy situation so seriously. Was it a dumbass mistake on someones part? Yes. Did it almost ruin an engine that would be VERY difficult to start over with? Yes. Was I pissed off about that? Definately. Would I make a stupid joke about how someone should punch me in the face if I did something like that? Absolutely.

As for the rest of this nonsense.... I'm so against buying modified cars it's not even funny. The only reason I snatched up the particular car I did is because it was a freaking work of art. I spent over 9 months searching the classifieds/autotrader every day trying to find a '98 RBP RS. I just got VERY lucky and found a very special '98 RS and was able to borrow the money I was short on like an hours notice until my other car sold.

The car definately has a few flaws and things to be improved upon but I'm getting there. I have had a bunch of people tell me that I should really remove the "turbocharged by ___" stickers from underneath the hood simply because of how many people get pissed off at the very mention of the "___". Until everything that "___" is responsible for has been replaced by me with different hardware... the stickers will most definately stay. With the exception of a few minor things, I'm very happy and impressed with what is there and the time/effort that has gone into the car. Sorry I ruffled a few feathers and a few people took me a wee too seriously...

Lighten up people these things are just expensive toys.

#17 ·
surely you can understand that some people take things more seriously than others. to some this is a hobby but to others it is a livelyhood. obviously most of us take our jobs seriously because its how we get the money to pay the bills, to care for the family, and to trick out the cars. now i will use something i learned in another thread.:) :wiggles: :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.