Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I was considering running this stage 1 tune through Maperformance. They just released a v7 tune, and I'm seeing mixed reviews.
Pros-
Bette power than Cobb OTS stage 1

Cons-
Many logs are showing lean at top end power
More aggressive tune

Anyone currently running the MAPerformance Stage 1 tune and see any issues? Mostly running lean?

·
Registered
338 Posts
what car is this for? WRX FA20 or STI EJ?

I had MAP Stage 1 93 octane on my 17 WRX with cobb catback only. Huge difference and zero problems at all. very little if any knock and solid DAM. Cured rev hang, cured hill brake assist, cured the fall on its face at 4000rpms, cured overboost at low throttle etc etc.

I have a Map stage 1 93 octane for my 18 STI. I noticed I have a varying fine knock learn between -2.3 to -.5.2 ONLY when 3 conditions come together : between 20-30% throttle + between approx 3800-4500 rpms ONLY and in 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear. Its usually -2 to -3+ but Ive seen a few -4s and two or 3x a -5.3 or so.

Zero in any other RPMs at that throttle position range
Zero at that RPM band and any other throttle position.
Zero at WOT anywhere..

ONLY between 3800-4500 and only at moderate throttle. I can replicate it easily, and I can drive around it. Under heavier load like uphill it seems easier to make happen.
DAM is SOLID at 1.0. It never ever moves.

Ive seen similar FKL with the OEM tune in colder weather before I used the MAP tune SO I wonder if its just a characteristic or a problem with gas or the tune.
Ive emailed Ian at Map to ask.
Looking for a place to go turbo back and protune now.

I dont know which version of the MAP tune I have. If I remember I'll check and report back.
Havent gone back to stock yet as Im out of town until late friday

·
Registered
403 Posts
Vlad,

I'm running MAP Stage 1 93 (also have 91) map. I've done periodic wot (40mph-60mph) pulls and my DAM is consistently 1, my feedback knock is consistently 0, and fine knock learn is consistently 0. While there are certainly other important numbers than just these, these are the three things I was told are particularly important to watch. The AFR from the most recent pull I did (about two weeks ago) fluctuates, but @ 100% is 11.x. There is a very short period where the AFR jumps to 22 @ 0% acceleration, immediately following the pull. No typical lean or rich symptoms.

I'm not claiming to be an expert at tuning cars. I'm not. However, the car runs great, the rev hang is history, the throttle response is now linear, and the car doesn't drop power after 5k. There is no audible knock under load or on deceleration. However, I use top tier 93 gasoline. Be careful. Crappy gas will likely cause you issues. If you only have access to crappy gas, run the 91 map. And, if you do have knock or sluggish acceleration, or any other lean/rich symptoms, you really should see a pro tuner.

All said, though, face it - it's a risk and your warranty will likely no longer be honored if you have problems. IMHO, it's worth the risk.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
what car is this for? WRX FA20 or STI EJ?

I had MAP Stage 1 93 octane on my 17 WRX with cobb catback only. Huge difference and zero problems at all. very little if any knock and solid DAM. Cured rev hang, cured hill brake assist, cured the fall on its face at 4000rpms, cured overboost at low throttle etc etc.

I have a Map stage 1 93 octane for my 18 STI. I noticed I have a varying fine knock learn between -2.3 to -.5.2 ONLY when 3 conditions come together : between 20-30% throttle + between approx 3800-4500 rpms ONLY and in 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear. Its usually -2 to -3+ but Ive seen a few -4s and two or 3x a -5.3 or so.

Zero in any other RPMs at that throttle position range
Zero at that RPM band and any other throttle position.
Zero at WOT anywhere..

ONLY between 3800-3500 and only at moderate throttle. I can replicate it easily, and I can drive around it. Under heavier load like uphill it seems easier to make happen.
DAM is SOLID at 1.0. It never ever moves.

Ive seen similar FKL with the OEM tune in colder weather before I used the MAP tune SO I wonder if its just a characteristic or a problem with gas or the tune.
Ive emailed Ian at Map to ask.
Looking for a place to go turbo back and protune now.

I dont know which version of the MAP tune I have. If I remember I'll check and report back.
Havent gone back to stock yet as Im out of town until late friday
Thanks for the feedback!

I see you're out of Reading PA. If you're willing to make a trip, one of my friends have gotten tuned by Precision Tuning in Spotswood. Also Procom Racing in Toms River. Nothing but good reviews. I'm up in Hamilton/Princeton NJ btw.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vlad,

I'm running MAP Stage 1 93 (also have 91) map. I've done periodic wot (40mph-60mph) pulls and my DAM is consistently 1, my feedback knock is consistently 0, and fine knock learn is consistently 0. While there are certainly other important numbers than just these, these are the three things I was told are particularly important to watch. The AFR from the most recent pull I did (about two weeks ago) fluctuates, but @ 100% is 11.x. There is a very short period where the AFR jumps to 22 @ 0% acceleration, immediately following the pull. No typical lean or rich symptoms.

I'm not claiming to be an expert at tuning cars. I'm not. However, the car runs great, the rev hang is history, the throttle response is now linear, and the car doesn't drop power after 5k. There is no audible knock under load or on deceleration. However, I use top tier 93 gasoline. Be careful. Crappy gas will likely cause you issues. If you only have access to crappy gas, run the 91 map. And, if you do have knock or sluggish acceleration, or any other lean/rich symptoms, you really should see a pro tuner.

All said, though, face it - it's a risk and your warranty will likely no longer be honored if you have problems. IMHO, it's worth the risk.
Thanks Chris for the feedback. What is target boost set at? No overboost? Also AFR at 11 sounds good at WOT. Sounds like a clean tune. I think I'm going to buy the AP through MAP. If I have any issues I can always run stage 1 COBB OTS. I'm in Jersey, so 93 for me will be Exxon, or Sunoco. It never sees anything less than 93.

Once I get it, ill post some logs to confirm.

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thanks for the feedback!

I see you're out of Reading PA. If you're willing to make a trip, some of my friends have gotten tuned by Precision Tuning in Toms River. Nothing but good reviews. I'm up in Hamilton/Princeton NJ btw.
Good to know. Ive talked with IAG in MD, Just contacted FAST of West Chester and Chris at BrennTuning and I have been playing phone tag. I'll talk to Precision too. Who tunes for them?
Im willing to travel some if the tuner and work is good. I dont think I can lose with any of the ones Im looking at but it never hurts to shop around.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Good to know. Ive talked with IAG in MD, Just contacted FAST of West Chester and Chris at BrennTuning and I have been playing phone tag. I'll talk to Precision too. Who tunes for them?
Im willing to travel some if the tuner and work is good. I dont think I can lose with any of the ones Im looking at but it never hurts to shop around.
Bren Tuning also has a great rep. Even for their e-tunes . https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2667243 This is his pro-tunes with mods included. Keep in mind these numbers are for 2015 WRX+

Precision I believe, Kevin and Cleo are the tuners? I have to double check. My friends GTR-R33 was built there, and it runs pristine. They also specialize in Subaru's. Home

·
Registered
338 Posts
Bren Tuning also has a great rep. Even for their e-tunes . https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2667243 This is his pro-tunes with mods included. Keep in mind these numbers are for 2015 WRX+

Precision I believe, Kevin and Cleo are the tuners? I have to double check. My friends GTR-R33 was built there, and it runs pristine. They also specialize in Subaru's.
CLEO tunes at IAG too.

I saw Bren Dyno'd a 2018 STI and it put down 20-30 more whp than the 15-17 they baseline. The RA came in at something like 295 whp. Wondering if Subie upped the Tune or if its driveline related.
Question I have is will the 18 STI still see the same ~295 whp after turboback and tune or will its be +20 ish.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The RA is a different beast. Upgraded ECU, modified intake system, upgraded pistons, better exhaust. Although the HP and torque difference is minimal with the 18 versus RA, I believe these parts are attributing to better numbers.

With full TBE, you should easily be adding 20+whp.

The only gripe that I've read about Brentuning, is that customer service lacks, because they're so f'in busy. Other than that, his tunes are known to be aggressive. Some of the numbers in the thread I linked, for the WRX 15+ are extremely impressive. I couldn't imagine the STI being any different.

I would also definitely check out Precision. Check the website.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Thanks Chris for the feedback. What is target boost set at? No overboost? Also AFR at 11 sounds good at WOT. Sounds like a clean tune. I think I'm going to buy the AP through MAP. If I have any issues I can always run stage 1 COBB OTS. I'm in Jersey, so 93 for me will be Exxon, or Sunoco. It never sees anything less than 93.

Once I get it, ill post some logs to confirm.

Thanks again guys!
Good question about boost. I don't know what the target boost is set at. The peak boost on my pulls was 20.52 psi.

I use Sunoco 93. It's a good quality gasoline. Even so, I have 20,000 miles on my car and I've used one bottle of Techron. About to use another with this next oil change.

Sure, a more customized tune would likely net me more power, etc., but I'm quite happy with the conservative MAP tune. I've since fallen in love with this car and have no desire to trade it in. I've been running the tune since I got it back at the beginning of March. Just be certain to do the datalog pulls before you go crazy with the car and I think you'll be quite pleased.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good question about boost. I don't know what the target boost is set at. The peak boost on my pulls was 20.52 psi.

I use Sunoco 93. It's a good quality gasoline. Even so, I have 20,000 miles on my car and I've used one bottle of Techron. About to use another with this next oil change.

Sure, a more customized tune would likely net me more power, etc., but I'm quite happy with the conservative MAP tune. I've since fallen in love with this car and have no desire to trade it in. I've been running the tune since I got it back at the beginning of March. Just be certain to do the datalog pulls before you go crazy with the car and I think you'll be quite pleased.
Yea, peak boost at 20.52 sounds good, and if AFR isn't fluctuation at boost peak then there shouldn't be a reason why your tune would be running lean. I:'ll have to do the datalogs when I get the AP/tune. Should be getting it sometime mid next week. I'll post some WOT logs later on.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cure? I didn't know there was a problem with this.........?
with the STI's its known to be a big problem. It essentially makes it harder to get out of first/second gear. Almost like a stutter. You can disable it on the stock tune however. I did it on my WRX and noticed no real difference though.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I bought the MAPerformance AP, and should be coming this week.

Before logging, anything in particular I should do? Some suggest to run the car a bit with the ecu so it can "learn" the new parameters. Also, in jersey, its been pretty warm lately. That will surely affect my reads for the logs no?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Cure? I didn't know there was a problem with this.........?
I misspoke (mistyped) The hill assist is a PITA in my STi but I dont think the tune etc has anything to do with it. I was just on a roll of stuff I wanted to fix. I disabled it but now have the stupid orange light.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I misspoke (mistyped) The hill assist is a PITA in my STi but I dont think the tune etc has anything to do with it. I was just on a roll of stuff I wanted to fix. I disabled it but now have the stupid orange light.
lol... passengers in my car always ask "why is the gas light on" Then I have to explain to them why hill assist is disabled...

·
Registered
338 Posts
hahah I tell them its a warning light that we are going Up a hill

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just an update:

Loaded the COBB OTS Stage 1 93 HWG map for now until MAP tune comes in....

Drives so much more smooth, power band is even throughout. I was doing some datalogging. DAM never dropped below 1, no Feedback knock, and FKL of about 1.41. AFR was a bit high, but I guess because these run a bit rich. Ran the tune for about 30 miles.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just an update:

Loaded the COBB OTS Stage 1 93 HWG map for now until MAP tune comes in....

Drives so much more smooth, power band is even throughout. I was doing some datalogging. DAM never dropped below 1, no Feedback knock, and FKL of about 1.41. AFR was a bit high, but I guess because these run a bit rich. Ran the tune for about 30 miles.
clarify "AFR was high" Higher than 14.7 is trending LEAN which is not good. Lower than 14.7 is rich which is "safer"

1 - 20 of 33 Posts