Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the title says it all. My Cobb accessport v4 is in the mail now for my 2017 MT wrx. I am new to this type of ECU tuning so I want the short run down on which of the stock (or custom) maps I should run. I'm looking for a power boost.

What is the difference between the "stage 1" map and the "stage 1 hwg" version? Also is stage 1+ off limits till I get a cold air intake?

Again any info would be helpful because I am new to this. Thanks everyone!

Nick

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
Cobb has a whole write up on this on their website that will do a better job of explaining what map to use and how to determine such much better than anyone on here will describe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the help. I got the device, figured it out, and the map works great!

If anyone is still watching this post, how do you deal with wire management? I want to mount the accessport, but I have this wire constantly threatening to tangle my clutch foot. I've done zip ties but it still looks less than elegant. Any suggestions? I'd like to put it near the center of the car if I can, rather that outboard of the driver.

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
Thanks everyone for the help. I got the device, figured it out, and the map works great!

If anyone is still watching this post, how do you deal with wire management? I want to mount the accessport, but I have this wire constantly threatening to tangle my clutch foot. I've done zip ties but it still looks less than elegant. Any suggestions? I'd like to put it near the center of the car if I can, rather that outboard of the driver.
Depends on where you want to mount the AP. I would say mount it to the left of the steering wheel then run the wire between the steering column and the dash. Zip tie it up under neither there and it will be tucked away.

·
Registered
57 Posts
There are custom tuners like MAP that will sell you additional maps. The Cobb ones are "safe" by being a little rich and easy on the timing.

You want to run the stage 1 91 or 93 octane depending on the gas you can get.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Are there any off the shelf E85 tunes available?

What gains can be had from a stock FA engine and an E85 tune?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TLDR: skip the first paragraph.

Since I started this post, I have been reading up on things and have dabbled in creating my own maps in accesstuner (which required an online course that touched on e85). I am still in no way an expert, but I might be able to sort of answer this.

To use e85, you need these things:
1. New, higher volume injectors
2. New high volume fuel pump
3. An ethonol sensor in the fuel tank
4. A new tuning map that takes each specific part (1,2, and 3 listed above) into account.

No off the shelf e85 map is available because Cobb doesn't offer a package including parts 1,2, and 3. Also, The map would have to tailored to the individual sensor, pump, and injectors you choose, so Cobb can't just provide a singular map.

The advantage of e85 is that it is equivalent to 105 (?) Octane gas, and has great knock resistance because of it. So more power potential etc.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
73 Posts
It looks like Cobb offers an ethanol sensor that feeds the accessport with alcohol content to adjust the map.

Just from a quick glance it seems like ~30% is reliable but the results above that seem questionable on the HPFP.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It looks like Cobb offers an ethanol sensor that feeds the accessport with alcohol content to adjust the map.

Just from a quick glance it seems like ~30% is reliable but the results above that seem questionable on the HPFP.

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
Nobody offers e85 OTS maps. You'll need to pay for a pro tune. Furthermore, you need supporting mods to do an effective e85 conversion. Otherwise, e85 will not provide any power adding benefits as it is technically less efficient in that it needs 30% more fuel to make the same power as gasoline. It's only benefit is greatly improved knock resistance and cooler burning temps.

E85 conversion should only really be considered if you've exhausted bolt on mods and want more power without beefed up internals. However, even so, once you start using e85 on stock internals you're pushing the fine line between your motor maybe being ok and biting the dust any moment.

·
Master Baiter
12,653 Posts
anarekist said:
i flashed the stage1 on my stock 2017 and my DAM keeps going down (to .5), i heard you ideally want it at 1

anyone got tips?
How long after your reflash are you checking your DAM? Cobb may have it set to start at .5 DAM and slowly learn its way to 1 (like OE). If you're getting .5DAM after some driving or after it's already been at 1, there's an issue you need to address.

·
Master Baiter
12,653 Posts
anarekist said:
it started off at 1. and just proceeded to go down, comes back to .688 and kinda has been there, i flashed it stage2 yesterday. maybe just give it more time?
What modifications are on the vehicle?

·
BooSTIng
2,317 Posts
it started off at 1. and just proceeded to go down, comes back to .688 and kinda has been there, i flashed it stage2 yesterday. maybe just give it more time?
Wait a second...... You had stage 1, and just changed it to the stage 2 map? You do know that each map has a specific guideline for what mods need to be on the vehicle in order to use said map. Stage 2 means that you at least have an aftermarket downpipe/J pipe. The only map designed to be ran with no modifications at all is the base stage 1 map.

Like EJ257 said, what all mods are done to this car? If it is still bone stock and you are just flashing random maps from the accessport you will and maybe already did damage to the engine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts