Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is the best MBC?

Guys,

I'm biting the bullet and getting an MBC!!!

Basically I'm after a MBC kit that has all the fittings,
good instructions, easy to adjust, and quick to fit/remove for when servicing the car with the dealer.

I've heard there are dual valve (? or is it stage) MBCs.

Are they worth the extra?

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
Ant

·
Registered
74 Posts
Dont really yhink there is a better one i have had my joe p for sometime now with no problems if i decide to upgrade it will be for a Ebc

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have an HKS MBC. It took about 15 minutes to install. I just pulled off the stock hoses that lead to the factory controller and hooked them up to the HKS. I mounted the bracket to one of the screws that holds the cruise control to the body. Probably can be removed in less than 5 minutes with no sign that it had ever been there.

Note: the HKS is a relief valve type.

Dale

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to MBC

Hi,

I just got my new WRX and I wanted to find out about adding a MBC. Is it as easy as it looks? and can I do it myself. Forgive me for not knowing, but when you get the mbc and are setting it how exactly do you tell what psi your car is at.

Thanks for your help

Tjfuj1200

·
Registered
126 Posts
Do it yourself = yes
Easy = yes
Setting = as advised, boost guage a must

Michael
MY01 WRX
MBC - boostvalve

·
Registered
126 Posts
Antman,

As recommended, the boostvalve is great. Perhaps if you have a couple of hours on a weekend/weeknight, you can pop over and have a look and drive (with me in it) to feel the difference.

The boostvalve is unlike the JoeP as it doesn't have a little allen key type adjustment knob but rather a screw then a locking screw.

Found an owner of JoeP in here that can't even get under 17psi (boostcut) with the screw almost right out. I am sure others have it working fine and they do but a first hand viewing and drive will make it easier to decide.
Michael

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
i would suggest the joe p for the following reasons

1) not a bleeder type which constantly releases a little pressure, so you'll hit boost max harder and hold it better

2) it's $45 with the fittings

3) there is a second ball in the valve to lock the thing up if a spring were to ever break. so basically if the weakest part goes, your engine won't overboost.

i wouldn't start spending a ton of money on an MBC, becasue once you get up to a few hundred, you might as well get an electronic one and control the boost from the cabin (rather than under the hood)

dR

·
Registered
126 Posts
Boostvalve is also a NON bleeder type. Full colour install instructions and all fittings.

At the end of the day it just comes down to what you read/see and who recommended it to you.

Boostvalve is USD$49 + shipping to Australia about USD$5 from the ast one I ordered (now ordered 3)

Michael

·
Registered
19 Posts
I love my turboxs HPMBC.

·
Registered
109 Posts
how boost control works

Kind of a newbie to turbo stuff, but I thought I'd see if i'm correct. The boost controller is basically just sitting in-line before the wastegate, holding in boost pressure created by the turbo. Once the boost controller sees it's maximum pressure in the line (looks like 15 psi is the target), depending on what it is set to it will open up and release the pressure through the outlet line, which leads right to the wastegate. So the wastegate is the essentially the stock boost controller?? If so, what it the function of the wastegate after the boost controller is put inline? A little help would be cool.

Steve G

·
Registered
55 Posts
what kind of MBC does the Vishnu stage 0 have?

Does anyone know what kind of MBC does the Vishnu Stage 0 comes with (ball spring, bleeder type, or else)?

·
Registered
33 Posts
i have the boostvalve.com MBC set at 1.05 bar in 3rd gear

you wont believe youre driving the same WRX once you get this thing installed...which only takes about 20 minutes to put in, and another 20 to get it dialed in to where you want it

i swear the car is now at about 5 sec 0-60...pretty scary

1 - 20 of 143 Posts