ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there are many threads about it. And I read a lot about it.
WHen I ask a question to some tuners or vendors, they always answer with "ANYTHING's Possible!!" But is it probable??

At this point I have vf22 with supporting fuel mods, fmic, helix dp, Ground kit (yay~~), TurboXs intake and prodrive axleback. Utec is tuned to off the shelf stg.4 at this point. Would it be Probable reaching 300 AWHP with tuning and 93 octance fuel? Or is it just asking too much?

And if too much, what else can I do to make extra few ponies to make it 300 AWHP?

I hate to ask this newb question, but I'm now thinking about parting out and getting Evo or R32. (I can't beat many cars on highway....it's so sad.)

Thanks again for reading and helping guys.

-soul

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'd say the problem is your using the Stg. 4 base map....I don't know if 300whp is do-able with your setup on 93....but with a good tune on 93 I'm willing to say it'd come pretty damn close.

As far as top-end goes...you gotta remember that the WRX isn't really made for top-end. Even with a bigger turbo the lag associated with the top-end still won't be overcome with just a turbo upgrade. The fastest car I ever beat in a dead-even freeway race was a lightly modded Camaro SS (automatic) and I only inched away from him by about 3/4's of a car.

If you can't make 300whp with a VF22 then I'm pretty sure you should be able to hit it with a PE1820 or like an APS turbo. If you want to keep the VF22 maybe some work to the head will get you better top end...but if you do any drag-racing or canyon running you will regret having no bottom end power....this is what sets our car apart. Setting up a WRX for top-end power will cost you a lot of money, but if you really want that type of power.....don't trade in your WRX for an Evo or R32.....get yourself a Supra :D

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about Supra, but I can not afford it's insurance. My insurance will jump 150 bucks more for a month. (From what three ins. company quoted me)

So, that's a no no.

I am trying to keep my Vf22. I do not want to work on my header due to lack of low end power already. VF22 is horrible with low end. I was thinking about getting a lighten crank pulley so RPM can rev faster. You think that will help killing some lag time?
Back to the main issue. Yeah, I forgot to write Tuning in my first post. I meant with tuning. And where do you think I should go? I live in VA/MD area. (I'm looking for affordable and good tuning. I'm asking alot aren't I?)

-soul

·
Registered
606 Posts
soulsweeper said:
I thought about Supra, but I can not afford it's insurance. My insurance will jump 150 bucks more for a month. (From what three ins. company quoted me)

So, that's a no no.

I am trying to keep my Vf22. I do not want to work on my header due to lack of low end power already. VF22 is horrible with low end. I was thinking about getting a lighten crank pulley so RPM can rev faster. You think that will help killing some lag time?
Back to the main issue. Yeah, I forgot to write Tuning in my first post. I meant with tuning. And where do you think I should go? I live in VA/MD area. (I'm looking for affordable and good tuning. I'm asking alot aren't I?)

-soul
No, I didn't mean your header, I meant you're head, as in the top half of your engine where the cam gears, camshafts, valves, etc. are. I've heard good things about the Jun setup somewhere here on the forum. It is gonna put a dent in your wallet though at almost $2k. As for the tuning I'm not from that area so we should wait to see what the local guys post about as far as local tuners, but keep in mind there is no such thing as a cheap tune. If your engine is tuned incorrectly it can blow extremely easily, but a nice tune works wonders to a car.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Nitrous, bigger turbo or you're going to have to do some internals...that or if you want to be really cheap about it just dyno on something like the Turbo XS dyno...I heard a cat back/panel filter are good for 300whp on it :p

·
Registered
244 Posts
I just dyno'd my car and hit 300hp and 360 tourqe with my stage 4 setup....

this is my setup
vf30
supporting fuel setup(rails, pump, regulator)
header
up pipe
3"TBE
AVO BOV
AVO TMIC
TXS Unichip

and i hit this with a header leak, I am going for 320 this week...fixed the leak so we will see.

I am also running 20psi peak boost

you can acheive what you are after....all it takes is a good tuner and money....

good luck....

o btw: be sure to get ready to hold on...the car pulls like a mother f'er once you get "real" hp....hee hee

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
skullguy said:
o btw: be sure to get ready to hold on...the car pulls like a mother f'er once you get "real" hp....hee hee
What kind of dyno? Those are pretty good numbers...I was only shooting for 280ish whp with my 22, if your 30 makes that I guess I should be in the same ball park. ::crosses fingers::

·
Registered
606 Posts
skullguy said:
I just dyno'd my car and hit 300hp and 360 tourqe with my stage 4 setup....

this is my setup
vf30
supporting fuel setup(rails, pump, regulator)
header
up pipe
3"TBE
AVO BOV
AVO TMIC
TXS Unichip

and i hit this with a header leak, I am going for 320 this week...fixed the leak so we will see.

I am also running 20psi peak boost

you can acheive what you are after....all it takes is a good tuner and money....

good luck....

Please tell me that 360lb/ft of torque is a type? It's interesting to see 300whp out of that setup. The only real difference is the header...and most others without the header do what with VF30's...270whp-280whp range? Do headers really make that much of a difference? Also, did you lose the bottom end power you had with the stock headers?

·
Registered
49 Posts
In my view the only thing holding you back from hitting 300 WHP on your setup is octane. The VF22 has a good top end and actually if tuned correctly a good low end. I always see more power from a VF22 over an 1818 or 1820 btw.

I doubt you need headers.

I have a VF30 setup and put down 287 WHP on 92 octane with water injection. 21psi boost. On 103 octane race gas I can get that up to 303 WHP but you are running into the limits of the setup.

"skullguy" what AFR are you running? They are good numbers. That TQ has to be a typo...

My car was tuned by pdxtuning based in Portland OR.

·
Registered
253 Posts
yeah, screw headers. the torque figure is probably just being measured at the flywheel. and the good numbers are most likely from a dynojet. and if you ever see a vf22 making more power than an 1820, then the 1820 needs tuning. it will outflow the vf22 by a bit.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
The vf has it in it but only on race not pump. I made 282whp and 300tq and that was great and on pump but the vf loses boost like nobodys business. That peak hp and tq you make will be short lived. That turbo is the worst imo out of the vf series...it makes good numbers and it is top end but typically loses boost...good luck.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
13SEC WRX.
Do you still have stock tranny? If so, how is it holding up?
I might consider going 18g soon.

I might have to get my stock injectors modded or get bigger injectors for it as well of course.

Argh. Would intake manifold do anything? (STI ones...)

-soul

·
Registered
244 Posts
O $hit!, I got my numbers screwed up ...sorry guys....

I pulled 318 tq, 364bhp and 300whp on 93 octane

my bad!

I got my dyno done at BP moto in portland, anybody doubt my words call up Sean and ask him...he did the tune and dyno

Still damn good numbers and I am going for 320whp next week....

Mick - you should go to BP Moto, with your setup, you should get better numbers.... Give me a pm and I can get you his number...

XtianLA - I thought I would only get 280-290 range also, but we started out 275, so getting to 300 was a matter of tuning...which Sean is a genius at!

Snowvert - Headers do make a difference.....not sure what your damage is, but take a chill pill, everyone makes mistakes

The dyno used was a Dastek Dynomometers.....

Late

·
Registered
656 Posts
13secwrx said:
The vf has it in it but only on race not pump. I made 282whp and 300tq and that was great and on pump but the vf loses boost like nobodys business. That peak hp and tq you make will be short lived. That turbo is the worst imo out of the vf series...it makes good numbers and it is top end but typically loses boost...good luck.
what does "loses boost" mean?

·
Registered
49 Posts
My VF30 holds boost (21psi) to redline...... No boost lost here. Don't forget I use water injection as well so I can run nice timing values on top of that.

"skullguy" Thank's, I know Sean Logan, nice guy. I'll stick with the Mustang Dyno at Matrix. I've dyno'ed on it seven times now and it provides me with a reference base to work from.

Tuning makes so much difference to a setup. My first dyno session I pulled 194 WHP on my untuned stage4 setup.

VF22, old but well tested dyno. It's a proven tranny breaker as well.

Talking about tranny breaking, I broke my 5 speed on the track at the start of the season. I now have a JDM 6 speed and love it. I chipped some teeth off the 5 speed. It was drivable, but sounded horrible.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I am running 20psi all the way to redline also....not sure what you mean by lost boost, maybe something with the 22, but with my 30, never had that problem

mick, we should meet up sometime and check each other's ride.

ever run at pir?

i am hoping to get out there next weekend....interested?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts