ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am newbie here (first post). I have been very impressed with STi numbers and technical spec and been looking into getting one. However, as an old Audi/BMW user, I am used to clean cut body shapes, least amount of decals, logos, etc... and been used to very high quality interior with consistent color coordination, basically classy looks.

As much as I like the new STi (specially 05), I just can NOT stand its looks, inside/out. I was thinking of maybe getting a black one and make it look as slick as possible, also maybe some Aluminium trim or something to spice up the cheap looking interior (no offence, this is vs. Audi TT interior). Anyone has any pics of their STi (or WRX) converted into more classy looking? I am not into huge body kits, etc... just something to give the car a bit more character.

Thanks, and help me convert :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Alex, you're not gonna get the interior of an STi to ever be on par with something like a TT. The money that subaru put into this car was for power, handling, and brakeing, not interior quality. The car rattles, vibrates, and has plenty of 'personality'. It will never be an audi/bmw, and honestly, that's one of the things you either love or hate about this car. It's raw. It's visceral. It's not gonna coddle you like an audi/bmw. But it's also not gonna leave you wondering where the power is like most audi/bmw's. Welcome to compromise. Enjoy the ride :)

Quick note: There are leather and suede interiors available for the STi that you can swap in that will make a difference in the loook of the interior. Again though, it's not gonna be an audi interior.

·
Registered
308 Posts
you are demanding class from a car that justifies itself as a no BS, just a$$ kicking car. just buy a S4...you praise the audi so much, why not stick with it. or a cheaper alternative is a R32.

but if you really want it to look "classier". you can do the ever popular trunk wing swap/removal. then swap your interior with a 2002-2003 sedan. then put leather seats and panel inserts. search around, there should be many rexers that have gone down this road.

with the 2005 STi...you even get the auto climate control. there ya go...classy. just how you like it. honestly...i think STi is moving away from the no BS part...auto climate control...meh...

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
trust me man, no matter how good you make the STI "look" you will be able to feel that its "just" a subaru everytime you get into it. An STI interior and exterior can be made to look very nice with some money, but "look" is the key word there... it will never have the refinement and luxury you want.
maybe a better choice would be something like the R32, S4 (if you can afford it), bmw 330xi, g35c, legacy GT, or mazda's new TT mazdaspeed 6.. <<< is going to be one hell of a car!

otherwise, if you are bent on an STI here are some things that would help it seem more like a refined car.
EXTERIOR:
lowered on nice wheels
subtle body kit (if you desire)
shaved emblems
lose the big wing.
if you dont like the scoop (FMIC and non-scoop hood)
tints

INTERIOR:
nicer shift knob/E-brake
leather set for seats (about $800 from a clubwrx vendor)
lcd/navigation screen
some type of polished aluminum or carbon fiber dash

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chipsahui2 said:
you are demanding class from a car that justifies itself as a no BS, just a$$ kicking car. just buy a S4...you praise the audi so much, why not stick with it. or a cheaper alternative is a R32.
Thnx, but S4 is much more money and I have a problem with its center console being too big for my height. I had an A4 and had to sell it since the center console rubbed against my knee.

I am an amature racer/perfromance drive club memeber... so I race my cars and I have found that I can get the best performance per dollar in STi or Evo. I am in Canada, so have to get STi.

So, my question is, are there kits that can make the car more classy looking? I am not very keen on leather seats, but really like to change the trim as the plastic looks CHEAP. Also, wanna make the car have less edges around it and less decals,etc... is it easy to take the "STi" sign off the front? Do I really need that BIG wing? Does it really help racing around a track? If so, by how much?

DTRrex, thanks for the help. Do you have links to any of ur suggestions (body kit, trim, seats), or any pics of people who have done those?

Thnx again guys... this is a very good forum with fast responses

·
Premium Member
16,991 Posts
The wing is definitely functional, but you could ditch it for a regular WRX spoiler if you want without too much penalty (I guess).

As everyone has said, an STi will kick the hell out of most everything else - at the expense of interior refinement.

I guess you could Dynamat the crap out of the car (and add ~100lbs.), get custom door inserts, a dash kit, debadge it, do the wing swap, maybe custom upholstery, get an FMIC and a flat hood to go with it...etc.

Or just save all the money that all that crap costs and make the dang thing faster and handle better. If you want a performance car don't be a pansy about it! :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Funny thing is when I get into my rex I am always thinking how nice it is inside. Of coarse I came from an old beat up bug... Anyways, I would go STi with wing removed and a FMIC with the front scoop removed. Very clean looking and would be a total sleeper.

EDIT: this should be post #4 but I forgot to hit submit before I walked away from the computer :screwy:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
As much as i love the european interiors and their smooth lines, I stayed away from them because of one thing.... I wanted the STI. The hype was so great that It was that or the EVO. One drive is all it took. I don't care much of the look, but for the on road drivability of a race bred ralley car made to tackle the "beaten path". If performance is high on your list.. get the STI.. or S4 if possible. If looks is important... stay with the Europeans. I love the look of them, but for the way that I drive.... The STI fits every single want and need. ;)

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,722 Posts
crazycam, your car looks excellent! I love the wingless STi look.

·
Registered
1 Posts
just to add my opinion u r looking in the wrong direction
u buy thw wrx/sti breed for one reason only
its driving ability. PERIOD
when u are sitting inside u just drive it, and drive it to your hearts pleasure. You dont care about the hood the wing, the rims, the cd palyer, the leathers or what have u
U just sit in the excellent buckets you grab the wheel and look for twisty mountain roads.

In the 10 months that I own one, I've only turned on the radio 10 times (and not for very long time either) I just listen to the engine.
Ita a pure honest no nonsense drivers car - that means u - not for the other people who watch u go by.
It needs a lot of tender caring love (often oil change, warm up, cool down) and u must respect it - Power needs control and mental maturity.
My 10 cents worth ....

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
my opinion is this: there is way too many people buying Subarus right now because they are tredny, cool, fast, whaever. If you don't like the looks and quality DON'T BUY IT. Impreza and especially STi is all about performance with rally heritage. This car was made to be a base for group N, its supposed to be rough and mean, the aggresive looks with spoiler is the part of it. This car was never meant to be luxurious family cruiser. I love this car the way it is, and i even dislike the 05 interior upgrades. If you want luxury there is plenty other cars.

Footnote: If you don't like WRX/STi with all your heart, don't get it.

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
i gotta say, the '05 interior is sweet. its the same interior (minus seats) as the Saab 9-2x, and it might even be better than my RSX (not that the RSX is a true luxury car). you cant compare the WRX to an Audi or BMW (unless u compare it to a BMW 318ti, or an old Audi A3). its just not the same, sporty econo-japanese interior to high end sport german style.

you either love it or you hate it. go sit in one and see if u can handle it. if not, then ur better off in something like a G35 or a TL.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The car is not not as refined as my 3-series was, and I miss that sometimes, but the WRX is such a fun car to drive. STi would be even better. Hard to beat for the money. Just a matter of priorities. What's most important to you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
D0WNxSH1FT said:
i gotta say, the '05 interior is sweet. its the same interior (minus seats) as the Saab 9-2x, and it might even be better than my RSX (not that the RSX is a true luxury car). you cant compare the WRX to an Audi or BMW (unless u compare it to a BMW 318ti, or an old Audi A3). its just not the same, sporty econo-japanese interior to high end sport german style.
Thnx man, what are the changed in 05 Interior? I am still waiting for a display model in my local dealership.

I agree with most that this is a driver's car, but so is Porsche and Ferrari... and some other cars and they have nice interiror. Ofcourse you cannot possibly compare the cars since they're MUCH MORE expensive, but there's nothing wrong with nice interior for a sports car.

I am just trying for ways to make the car more classy and less rice... that's all and I appreciate all the help!

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
The dash, stereo, etc are all new for 2005.
2005 STi interior...

6Disk In-Dash CD Player

...alll images are owned by IMPerfection of i-club.com

·
Registered
136 Posts
not for nothing,but if you think a car is basically ugly in the outside/interior stock form,then it might not be the car for you, you have to like a car the way it looks bone stock to even consider buying it,remember you might own this car for the next 3years-maybe the rest of your life. i personally love the inside/outside everything about this car,if i had to drive the car bone stock for the next 3 years i would still love it.

btw:since your into getting the best bang for the buck performance out of a car and luxury then why not get the 05 legacy gt, fast and some luxury at a great price.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts