Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not really sure if this is the right forum to post this question, but I figured I would give it a shot. As of this moment I am working on setting up a custom stage 4 setup on my WRX. And of course I want to go faster and handle better. My question is, has anyone done any major weight reduction?

I mean I have heard of taking out the sound deadening, the A/C, the cruise control, etc, but has anyone gone as far as taking out the rear set area, the entire trunk setup (spare tire, carpet, jack, etc)? Maybe replaced the front seats with lightweight recaros (however, I like side airbags.)? I still want to keep my stereo and front interior (not spartan). I just rarely use the backseats and if I needed them I could always get someone else to drive. I have a nice tint so I'm not too worried about people looking in my car and saying its hideous or something. I'm not going to go as far as replacing windows, etc...just getting rid of "stuff that I don't need". All I know is that I would probably have to get some sort of a cage/harness setup (that would add weight). Oh BTW the exterior looks completely stock except for an STi hoodscoop even stock rims (but different tires!). My goal is to be all go and no show!

The reason I am asking this is because light weight=performance in all areas of the vehicle: braking, handling, acceleration, etc. Please no flames allowed (I know this isn't i-club though:D ).

Your thoughts are welcome,
Thanks
Evan

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
you probably want to keep the spare tire, unless you invest in "Run-flat" tires.

Sport Compact Car did it to their Project Civic Si....one thing they learned, keep the tar. It's more trouble than it's worth, and you need sound deadening material to keep you sane.

·
1,911 Posts
I shaved off over 100 lbs on my car. Here's some things that will save you a lot of weight:

Uppipe - 5.5 lbs lighter
Downpipe - 25 lbs lighter
Titanium exhaust - 22 lbs lighter
Bumper support cut out (front) - 15 lbs
no fog lights - 4 lbs
Alluminum suspension - 18 lbs
Bride seats - 6 lbs
PE turbo - 1 lb
I'm missing something. . .

·
Registered
424 Posts
Here's some ideas:

1- Rear Seat
2- Spare tire (make sure you have a towing service as a backup!)
3- Jack
4- Lighter rims (although the stock ones are already pretty light.)
5- Performance Brakes (4 Pot aluminum brakes can shave over like 10lbs per wheel!!!! This is ALL UNSPRUNG weight too, which translates to a bigger difference than removing the same amount of weight from somewhere else in the car)

6- Aluminum suspension (like god said)
7- Full turbo back exhaust make of titanium or aluminum (stock exhaust on all cars is REDICULOUSLY heavy)

8- Lightweight Front seats

I would leave the sound deadining in the car, you might shave 10lbs, but wouldn't be worth it. Same with the carpet. You can do like the Honda guys and strip all the door-panels/trunk-panels off the inside so the interior shows all the bare metal.

I ran without a spare and jack in my 3000GT for years. Just make sure you have a tow service, cause if you get a flat....it's an "all-day-call-the-tow-truck-and-wait-on-the-side-of-the-freeway" kind of thing. But not THAT big of deal, at least the tows are free.

-Jason

·
Registered
424 Posts
The project Civic Si in SCC actually was overboard. Funniest thing of all, was that they removed EVERYTHING...even down to the Emergency brake cables out of the car...until they realized at the drag strip that they couldn't do a burn-out without the e-brake! :eek: :D

Ooops!

-Jason

·
Registered
26 Posts
wouldn't the car be alot lighter if you removed the engine...and maybe removed the gas tank?

I guess then it would run like a Mitsubishi.......

·
Registered
59 Posts
markmiller said:
wouldn't the car be alot lighter if you removed the engine...and maybe removed the gas tank?

I guess then it would run like a Mitsubishi.......
HaHa...I guess:rolleyes:

It is good to roll on a quarter tank but im not sure of the excat weight reduction of that.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Well I think gas itself weighs somewhere around 8-9 lbs. per gallon (off the top of my head), so running a full tank and empty tank will be a big difference. You COULD swap the whole fuel tank for a racing 1.5 gallon tank or something but I'm not sure what the weight diff. is between the two tanks.

-Jason

·
Registered
295 Posts
FWIW, I pulled all the false flooring and the back seats out of my wagon for the IDRC race about two weeks ago. The jack and floormats also came out. When it was all said and done, I removed about 75lbs. Spare tire was already gone for the nitrous bottle.

I wieghed the car at the track. 3250 with me in it and a couple gallons of fuel. The car usually weighs 3350+ with me in it.

·
2,210 Posts
For the IDRC I pulled all the false trunk flooring, the floor mats, the rear headrests, but left the seats in place. 3270lbs with me and a couple of gallons plus a full Nitrous bottle (22lbs) in place of the spare.

Bear in mind that Jay and I have already done incidental weight reduction in the course of our upgrades, so a stock WRX will weigh significantly more even with the seats removed etc.

-Pace

·
Registered
26 Posts
phast said:
FWIW, I pulled all the false flooring and the back seats out of my wagon for the IDRC race about two weeks ago. The jack and floormats also came out. When it was all said and done, I removed about 75lbs. Spare tire was already gone for the nitrous bottle.

I wieghed the car at the track. 3250 with me in it and a couple gallons of fuel. The car usually weighs 3350+ with me in it.
cool info!
Mark

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
When I autox I always make sure to arrive w/ about 2-3 gallons of gas. Gas weighs 6.17 lbs/gal, 14 gals X 6.17 = 86 lbs savings: spare tire/jack = 14 lbs savings; uppipe/downpipe/catback= 35lbs savings; wheels (volk te37) 5lbs/wheel = 20lbs savings; floor mats = 4lbs savings

About 160 lbs lighter than a stock wrx w/ full tank of gas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.