ClubWRX Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
so, rich is everything A ok now with your turbo woes. i haven't done mine yet and still looking at the "cookout" thing. :D

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
*crosses fingers*

Everything seems fine. I haven't got it past 12psi of boost - but at least it's not puffing any smoke at idle.

I am keeping relatively reserved, because it did last for 500 miles during the "initial" installation. :)

I'll keep you all posted as the odometer clicks it's miles away...

·
5,799 Posts
is2scooby said:
*crosses fingers*

Everything seems fine. I haven't got it past 12psi of boost - but at least it's not puffing any smoke at idle.

I am keeping relatively reserved, because it did last for 500 miles during the "initial" installation. :)

I'll keep you all posted as the odometer clicks it's miles away...
So, did you actually have it repaired or what...

-Pace

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Found a local shop that has worked on IHI turbos extensively.

They pulled it apart, found the seal to be leaking (it was low on spring tension) so they replace the oil seal and cleaned everything up.

They also noted that when they took the turbo apart the shaft nut seemed to be relatively loose. They made sure it went back on with the proper torque (don't know the exact figure).

What I did find out is that IHI America doesn't offer ANY support for turbo lines that aren't sold in this country and in fact don't even offer parts/rebuild kits. They only sell "center cartridges" and "whole turbos". YECH. :(

I'm all over a Garret/Mitsubishi when this VF30 expires and the bolt-on solutions start to become more readily available.

·
5,799 Posts
Yup, I knew that IHI would give no support. Not a big surprise I suppose. I would imagine that if your (hypothetical you) JDM-spec v2 SBC i-D malfunctions, don't expect Blitz to pick up the tab. Such is the case with grey imports.

Fortunately, most turbochargers are rebuildable. I'm glad it's working out for you. :)

-Pace

41 - 47 of 47 Posts