ClubWRX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
Richard

glad to hear that it wasn't as bad as it could have been...def could have been worse...

·
5,799 Posts
Richard, glad to hear it was the turbo after all. Any amount of oil in the hot side is definitely not 'normal'. I would have to guess you got a dud unit, especially given that you were so careful with the installation and found no errors post mortem. If you purchased it new, then I would definitely contact the distributor and try hard to work something out. I'm sure the IHI turbos must have some kind of warranty against defect. The worst outcome is that they inspect it and tell you it was your fault and exactly what caused it. At least that way you could ensure that the next install is successful.

If you purchased it used.... oh well; some you win, some you lose!

The VF30 is a very robust unit, but manufacturing problems obviously do occur for any automotive component and can easily escape Q/A.

-Pace

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Jeremy,

Thanks for the link! That looks tasty! <$700 for a brand new VF30!

WRC_Obsessed,
Thanks for the kind words! It hasn't been fun - bit it could have been much worse! :D

Pace,
Thanks! Your advice helped to keep me on track. I think I've got a dud unit as well. I'm an ex-dealership mechanic that has been hot rodding for 15 years. I can't imagine what I could have done wrong during the installation. I'm not perfect, but I have an annoying habit of checking everything thrice and making a 1 hour job into 2. (That's why I'm an EX-dealership mechanic. :D)

I bought it through a GB from a non-vendor. I'm not sure what sort of recompense I'll be able to get - so I'm looking for another turbo just in case I have to get this one rebuilt and sold...

Mahalo everybody!

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I can't see it from the exterior of the hose, but I seem to recall the hose having an inner metal/nylon/hard lining. Anybody that did a turbo swap back me up on this one?
To answer my own question - nope. The oil drain hose is a regular rubber hose with those 2-finger spring clamps on the top and bottom.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Sorry to hear about your turbo problems.

Hope you sort it all out really soon.

And have your Rex back on the road again.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Richard - FWIW, your symptoms were exactly like mine... including the fact that your car runs great on the stock turbo.

Do you use a catch can? How are your crank vent and PCV plumbed?

·
Moderating U!
6,318 Posts
Rich,
Thank god it wasn't the motor. Man I was feeling for you.

Sorry, but I haven't had time to read the entire post, but I have a few questions.

Did you break in your new turbo like you said earlier for the first 500 miles? And will IHI replace that turbo since it has no miles on it?

That just bites though. And since you are becoming an expert at assembly and disassembly, you should just go for the gusto now, and boycott IHI, by buying a PE1818 or PE1820. GO BIG OR GO HOME:D

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Are you 100% sure its the turbo? You might want to call Turboxs and talk to Phil. He replaced his VF30 twice trying to get his WRX to stop smoking. This didn't correct the problem. He ended up disconnecting one of the pvc lines going to the intake. That corrected his problem.
Worth a try.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Russ,
Thanks! I'm going to give him a cool REAL soon. :D

Aust-WRX,
Thanks to you too! I'm just glad the motor is in one piece. :D

Austin,
I read your thread on NASIOC eagerly (thanks to redwag) and our problems seemed so VERY identical. Until I reached the part about "if you haven't messed with your PCV you should be fine" part. :)

I'm on the stock PCV system with no catch can.

One quick question - did you ever figure out why the stock turbo could take the "loading" of your modified PCV system while the VF34's and your VF23 couldn't?

That's the part of your thread that struck me as most odd. Is the stocker just a better built unit?

KD,
Broke in the turbo for 500 miles at medium boost. Got on it maybe 5-6 pulls with 17.5psi after the break-in.

I got the turbo through a GB - I'm not sure how to get in touch with IHI to get a warranty on the turbo. :(

If I could afford a different type of turbo - I'd think about it. After hearing God talk about the PE1818 it is definitely interesting - but I promised myself to keep THIS car (for once!) pretty mellow. :D Plus I got no script. :D

SGOS,
Thanks! I can't imagine what it could be other than the turbo since the PCV system is stock - but I'll give Phil a call. He's been GREAT in dealings in the past!

All I know is I'm going to have a hard time trusting this turbo. I mean I put it on, and took if off in 1 week's time in <500 miles. I'd hate to put it back on the car only to find out it WAS the turbo.

This thing doesn't seem to have any endplay or anything - so I don't think I sneezed the bearings - but it just happens to like to puff/leak oil. :(

Thanks for all the messages guys! They REALLY help! :D

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm upset.

(Note: this e-mail is not from the person that I purchased the VF30 through - but is VERY knowledgable regarding these products)

:mad:

I don't know what you were expecting that I could do for your situation. I've dealt with IHI turbos for many years and as manufacturer, they do not warranty their turbos when fitted by third party. They will tell you their turbos are manufactured to the highest quality control and passed their Standards tests. I'm certain that you got a really good deal with the Group Buy, saving you hundreds of dollars but like anything, it blows when **** happens.

GREAT. Anybody want to buy a smoke-generation device? I paid $750 for it 5 days ago - it was in use for less than a work week. Make offer.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
My only hope now is that the person that I purchased the turbo from will come through for me and get this taken care of.

*crosses fingers* *holds breath* *turns purple* *still waiting*... :)

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
KDW,

And since you are becoming an expert at assembly and disassembly, you should just go for the gusto now, and boycott IHI, by buying a PE1818 or PE1820. GO BIG OR GO HOME
Believe you me, I'm thinking about it. If I had the cash, and some ability to tune my unichip it would be a done deal.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Still no joy on a new turbo. :(

My car seems to be less fun to drive now. :(

At least I'm getting GREAT gas mileage since I'm staying off the boost pedal. :D

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Jim,

Thanks for that! PPM is coming along GREAT! Color me impressed...

Got an e-mail from a Turbochargers, Inc. that muddies the waters a bit though:

Okay,
Here are my thoughts. The turbo is not "sealed", it has a piston ring seal at the turbine end, and thus can leak out that end and smoke if the oil is allowed to build up too high in the bearing housing. Reasons for the oil reaching too high a level would be that there is some kind of restriction in the oil drain back to the engine, excess crankcase pressure, or to much oil pressure and/or volume feeding the turbo. If your oil drain tube or line is at an angle more than 37 degrees, then that could cause. Ideally, the oil
drain should be pointing straight down. I wouldn't think that there is
anything wrong with your turbo and once you solve the problems allowing it to leak, then the smoke will clear up and burn away. Regards, Carl Gross
Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
VF30 back in...

A little smoke right at the beginning made my heart stop - but I think it was oil needing to be burned off.

Then again, it lasted 5 days the first time. We shall see!

*crosses fingers*

If any of you have significantly developed mental powers please use them to make sure my turbo stays intact. I'll forver be in your debt. :D

·
Moderating U!
6,318 Posts
is2scooby said:
VF30 back in...

A little smoke right at the beginning made my heart stop - but I think it was oil needing to be burned off.

Then again, it lasted 5 days the first time. We shall see!

*crosses fingers*

If any of you have significantly developed mental powers please use them to make sure my turbo stays intact. I'll forver be in your debt. :D
My mental powers concentrating at full power:

I am seeing Richard in his Rex, with a big smile on his face, and no smoke coming out the back of his exhaust. And what is this, he just ran a 12 second quarter mile. Oh my god. I think we have ourselves a very happy Subaru owner:D

Well at least I tried. Good luck Richard. You can write the check to Karl..... ....... ........ .......:D

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Think I've read everything I need to read about IHI turbos. fek that. Saved me frfom skipping "IHI" in my search for a turbo upgrade. No 3rd party support? That's bull$hit.

j.p.

silver '03 wagon

21 - 40 of 47 Posts