ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new turbo t3/to4e on the STi!! Now i need a Dyno tune for 2 maps on a utec. On Mac's website it says $150 an hour for dyno tuning. Around how long does it take for a 91 gas,16psi's and a c16 25psi's Map ?
How is mac at tuning? Thought i would ask,heard alot of good things about mac the only thing i have heard bad is that MAC blow a motor on a blue sti when it was on the dyno getting tuned :confused1 ?
did a search and nothing came up :D
Thank you
Adam

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mac did a mehhhhh job. It took probably 2.5 hours to tune a 91 octane 20psi map and a 91 octane 16psi map. Another hour to tune a 100 octane 21psi map.

I wasn't too happy with the A:F--there is definitely room for improvement there, but I was fairly satisfied with the power they got out of it. The 100 octane tune was rushed and could have been better.

Unfortunately there aren't many options here in CO for high altitude dynotuning with the utec.

I don't want to bash, but if you'd like to hear how the whole process went, shoot me a PM.

here's the graph w/ corrected numbers--higher on 100 octane, lower on 91:

My A:F makes baby Jesus cry.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
i watched them tune one day and although the guy looked confident with the tuning, they didnt really get the AFR dialed in very well, and they didnt keep trying. they just let him go with a half tuned AFR... it was a little disappointing.
o-|-<) bryan

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I need a tune bad, and MAC seems to be the only way to go. Let me know if you find out something else.

Has anyone had MAC do a great job? How about some Hoorays?

AdamRmr said:
I installed a new turbo t3/to4e on the STi!! Now i need a Dyno tune for 2 maps on a utec. On Mac's website it says $150 an hour for dyno tuning. Around how long does it take for a 91 gas,16psi's and a c16 25psi's Map ?
How is mac at tuning? Thought i would ask,heard alot of good things about mac the only thing i have heard bad is that MAC blow a motor on a blue sti when it was on the dyno getting tuned :confused1 ?
did a search and nothing came up :D
Thank you
Adam

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Autosport Werks or something like that has an AWD Dyno in Broomfield but they are an Audi tuner so I doubt they'd be much help...

·
Registered
55 Posts
They have done a decent job on my car...unfortunately the last time I got on the dyno sucked cause we couldnt get the car to boost over 15psi and I was kind of unhappy about it. They told me it was a blown boost solenoid or an exhuast leak, both of which have been checked out ad nauseum and neither are the problem. Although I wasnt paying them to diagnose a problem I figured they would be more helpful and they werent. They are great guys and are pretty good tuners, but if there was another option I would probably utilize it.

·
Registered
839 Posts
choices

Given where you live, I'd probably drive to Arizona and have Clark Turner (AZscoobie) do the dyno tune at Kingpin.It would only be about a 500 mile drive for you, -- not that much more than coming up to Denver.

When I get to the point I need a dyno tune, I will be driving down there for him to do mine.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611432&page=1&pp=25

Larry

·
Registered
164 Posts
hotrod said:
Given where you live, I'd probably drive to Arizona and have Clark Turner (AZscoobie) do the dyno tune at Kingpin.It would only be about a 500 mile drive for you, -- not that much more than coming up to Denver.

When I get to the point I need a dyno tune, I will be driving down there for him to do mine.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611432&page=1&pp=25

Larry
but don't we need to get it tuned here becasue of the elevation?

·
Registered
319 Posts
They did a pretty good tune for me.

·
Registered
839 Posts
good vs better

but don't we need to get it tuned here becasue of the elevation?
It would be nice to get that final bit out of it with a local tune, but not absolutely essentail.
Up here we can get away with a bit more boost or spark advance all else being equal. The down side is with a solution like a Utec pushed to the edge up here, if you go down to a lower elevation you're at risk of detonation unless you modified the tune.

If I had the money, I'd fly Clark up here and have a tuning weekend, but that's not likely to happen any time soon. I also will not be setup where I could take advantage of a dyno tune for a while as I still have some mods on the "to do" list.

On the ECUtek reflash it should be able to tweak the tune to take a bleeding edge tune here at altitude and dial it back based on knock correction at lower elevations.

My long term goal is an ECutek reflash with a Utec on top so I can switch in a max effort map when I want it but drive around on a good strong reflash for day to day driving.

Larry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts