ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran a Cobra from a stop over lunch time.

He threw a roar at me and I acknowledge right back at him with one. It got pretty intense when the lights were about to turn grn as I rev up to 5k to get my boost kicking and he was roaring next to me.

It wasn't pretty... I got a pretty good launch on him and his cobra didn't lose much ground as I was praying for. He was on my rear bumper length the whole time through 2nd gear, half way through 3rd he started walking me and gaining momentum. I think I just got beat by a really good driven Cobra, and it didn't look like it was modified from what i saw. Those are some whiny mofo's. I miss the roar but who needs it when you sound like a jet huh...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yeah those cobras can be real beasts with little money invested.

good run though..

·
Registered
112 Posts
In Hot Rod magazine a while back they had a GREAT battle between the STI and Cobra.

The STI beat it handily from a stop and even in the quarter 13.29 to 13.32 or close to it.
Traps though, the Cobra blew by at 109mph while the STI had 101 or so.Big difference.

Basically they said that the Cobra was severly hampered by traction/weight from a stop on the street/track. They also mentioned that to hit 12s(Which are entirely possible stock) that only a change in tires would do the trick. Let me know if anyone wants me to post some of the article pages.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm.... maybe thats how he kept up with me from the line..... Thanks for the find!

·
Registered
79 Posts
garrettjj said:
In Hot Rod magazine a while back they had a GREAT battle between the STI and Cobra.

The STI beat it handily from a stop and even in the quarter 13.29 to 13.32 or close to it.
Traps though, the Cobra blew by at 109mph while the STI had 101 or so.Big difference.

Basically they said that the Cobra was severly hampered by traction/weight from a stop on the street/track. They also mentioned that to hit 12s(Which are entirely possible stock) that only a change in tires would do the trick. Let me know if anyone wants me to post some of the article pages.
Anyone with an 03/04 Cobra stock that only runs 13.3'[email protected] should have the keys taken away. A stock Cobra is capable of 12.7'[email protected] with a decent driver on stock tires (2.0's).

·
Registered
982 Posts
garrettjj said:

I'd like to see it again.
I read that article in the grocery store and loved it. Don't know why I did not buy it, wish I did.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Here is the article::

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
StngStr said:
Anyone with an 03/04 Cobra stock that only runs 13.3'[email protected] should have the keys taken away. A stock Cobra is capable of 12.7'[email protected] with a decent driver on stock tires (2.0's).
Is capable is the key word. I'm 2-1 against 03 Cobras in my STi. I easily beat a stock 03 Cobra twice and the third one (which was modded - chip, pulley, etc) didn't catch me until about 80-85 mph (then he blew by me quite easy). But well driven STi can definately take out a stock 03 Cobra if the race is kept to a 1/4 mile or less.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great post garrettjj!

Its surprising that the mag gave the Subaru such a great review. It sounds pretty accurate as they mention the strong/weakest point of each car. Although I do not agree with them using Vishnu that much.....

·
Registered
27,068 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It did say that it was altitude corrected..... maybe it was humid outside? :baaa:

·
Registered
79 Posts
SGOSWRX said:
Is capable is the key word. I'm 2-1 against 03 Cobras in my STi. I easily beat a stock 03 Cobra twice and the third one (which was modded - chip, pulley, etc) didn't catch me until about 80-85 mph (then he blew by me quite easy). But well driven STi can definately take out a stock 03 Cobra if the race is kept to a 1/4 mile or less.
With a [email protected], you've been lucky in your races against Cobras. Wait until you run up against someone that knows how to drive.

·
Registered
45 Posts
StngStr said:
With a [email protected], you've been lucky in your races against Cobras. Wait until you run up against someone that knows how to drive.
thats what i was thinking...i noticed your in florida i know a guy in the military that just moved there...be on the look out for a sonic blue 03 he just ran a best of [email protected] on the 8th track. anyways im sure fast cars are a dime a dozen there but his will stand out. plates are alaska and say "fkntry" heh

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
StngStr said:
I would have to agree here. I have seen many stock cobra's go into the 12's and trap 5mph higher than that 105. Not to mention it's rather rare to catch a stock one as well. The STi does have the advantage for most of a 1/4mile stock vs stock, but once modding begins with either cars, the cobra will start to take over after 1/8th putting considerable distance on.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
317 Posts
The 03-04 Cobra is a beast, but it's interesting that

Hot Rod magazine's road course seems to have the STi running a 1:21.0 against the Cobra's 1:22.7.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts