Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to lower my car just a little bit for a few reasons. First, by lowering the center of gravity the car should handle turns better. Second, a slightly stiffer spring will probably reduce roll. Third, I want to reduce the gap between my tires and the car. I have 17 inch wheels with 225/45/17 Kumhos. Here are my choices:

1. Eibach Pro Kit: they have a set specifically for the WRX. The drop is less than 1.5 and they have a good reputation.

2. MRT: They have a number of good products for the WRX. The drop is not too much and it will make the car handle better.

3. Whiteline: I have their rear sway bar and I really like it. The price is good, but I'm not sure about the baby blue color.

I'm assuming for all these I would need a camber bolt set, but how many do I need? Are both front and rear non-adjustable?

Also, can I just use them with my stock struts?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I use whitelines. They're really inexpensive and do the job well. The color? You rallyy can't see them so why worry.

tirerack.com has the camber adj. bolts from Eibach.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I got the Progress Sport Springs for $170 including shipping from optionauto.com. They lowered my car and the gaps aare even now, stiffer ride, less body roll, and made my Subie look more aggressive. I don't regret my purchase at all - didn't have that much money to shell out and this to me seems just as good as the others. My $.02 :D

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much does it cost to install them? Is it something I can do myself? I have access to tools and although I haven't worked on cars that much, I have taken other machines apart and put them back together.

Are the camber bolts for rear only or do I need a set for front ones as well?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hank said:
I got the Progress Sport Springs for $170 including shipping from optionauto.com. They lowered my car and the gaps aare even now, stiffer ride, less body roll, and made my Subie look more aggressive. I don't regret my purchase at all - didn't have that much money to shell out and this to me seems just as good as the others. My $.02 :D
What is the drop on these springs?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
You need to own or rent a spring compressor. Compressing springs is very dangerous if you haven't done it before.

I do most of my own work. I did not install the springs.

Don't install lowering springs with stock struts. The struts will blow prematurely and you'll have to pay for the installation twice when you replace the strut.

I installed Konis. They are adjustable and have a lifetime guarantee. I am relatively confident I will never have to attend to my suspension (except for simple shock adjustment) ever again.

Coil overs are for racers. they allow for suspension adjustment based upon course or race conditions.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm waiting for Koni or some other manufacturer to release struts specifically for the WRX. Koni has the front struts, but they pulled the rear ones because of some fitment/adjustment issues. I figure, I'll install the springs now and when my struts wear out, I'll replace them with some good quality struts.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Shox.com and tirerack.com have the "struts". They are inserts. I have them. They exist and perform wonderfully.:)

·
Registered
214 Posts
1.5 in drop front and rear. That's the advertised drop, but my fender gaps in the f & r are almost the same now.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
russ said:
Shox.com and tirerack.com have the "struts". They are inserts. I have them. They exist and perform wonderfully.:)
I tried tirerack but they won't have the rear ones in stock until 8/15 :( I guess I just have to wait. I wish KYB made struts for the WRX; I don't care for yellow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ali

First, you CAN put springs on without new stuts, you just don't want to go too far (no 400lb. springs!)
Second, camber bolts are not neccessary for the front, as camber is already adjustable in the front.
Third, you get what you pay for. $100 springs are great, but why are they that cheap? I would also stick to companies who have a history of making springs for this car (i.e. whiteline, prodrive,after-market JDM).
Research your decision and buy what's right for you.

P.S. You can not see the springs unless you bend down and look up into the fender well, so the color is really not an issue.

Happy Hunting!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts