1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
**TLDR: Use an aftermarket base/slider to lower stock seats?**

=====================

I have a 2017 usdm base wrx.

So like a lot of people, I wish I could lower the seats somehow (more then the adjustment allows)

I am thinking about attempting this idea then sharing how it worked out with you people after:

I don't yet want to spend the money on a good aftermarket seat, and I actually like the stock seat itself.

Looking under the seat, the slider rails and the base directly below, look pretty tall compared to some of the equipment you see online.

I'm going to investigate if I can find a way to separate the sliders from the stock seat, then bolt on the aftermarket slider/base to the seat.

I'm HOPING that this would lower the overall height of the seat... But I don't know.

What I am wondering from all you:
1) has anyone tried this?
2) what base/sliders do you like or think I should try?
3) reasons why this would/wouldn't work.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update (12/20/17) for whoever might want to know.

I ordered a sparco slider set and a planted technologies base. I'll let everyone (anyone?) Know when they arrive and how removing/replacing the default rails/base goes.

There will be grinding and drilling involved but it does look fairly straightforward.

·
Registered
4 Posts
**TLDR: Use an aftermarket base/slider to lower stock seats?**

=====================

I have a 2017 usdm base wrx.

So like a lot of people, I wish I could lower the seats somehow (more then the adjustment allows)

I am thinking about attempting this idea then sharing how it worked out with you people after:

I don't yet want to spend the money on a good aftermarket seat, and I actually like the stock seat itself.

Looking under the seat, the slider rails and the base directly below, look pretty tall compared to some of the equipment you see online.

I'm going to investigate if I can find a way to separate the sliders from the stock seat, then bolt on the aftermarket slider/base to the seat.

I'm HOPING that this would lower the overall height of the seat... But I don't know.

What I am wondering from all you:
1) has anyone tried this?
2) what base/sliders do you like or think I should try?
3) reasons why this would/wouldn't work.

Thanks everyone!
Update (12/20/17) for whoever might want to know.

I ordered a sparco slider set and a planted technologies base. I'll let everyone (anyone?) Know when they arrive and how removing/replacing the default rails/base goes.

There will be grinding and drilling involved but it does look fairly straightforward.
I am also very interested in doing this, and would love to hear how it turned out.

I’m 6’4” and with the moonroof on my 2018 premium, I’m maxed out. I love the stock cloth seats, if only they sat one inch lower...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, so there is actually a solution to this that I just did yesterday.

I have the 2018 Limited WRX with leather seats, and I was looking all over the place to see if I can somehow lower the seating position. I found a post somewhere, tried it out, and it was a noticeable difference. However it does require you to cut some plastic parts that won't be able to be repaired.

View attachment 311896

First you have to remove your seats. 14mm bolt, 4 corners, make sure you're careful when taking it out, as it can scratch your plastic door edges. You also have to disconnect the plugs, so carefully do that before taking the seat out. Each plug has a different way of removing it.

As you can see from the picture, there are S shaped rails that hold the bottom of the seat up. What you need to do is unhook these rails from bottom. The problem is, the black plastic piece you see in the middle is preventing the rails from being stretched out too far. So what I had to do was cut the plastic parts where I needed to, and I was able to force the seat rails out from the bottom.

Once these S rails out unhooked from the bottom, you will able to sink more into your seat, which will drop you about 2-3 inches. I left the top of the S rail still hooked on.

Once you start to put the seat back in, notice that the holes to bolt the seat in the rear is oblong. What you can do is push the seat down to the lower possible position before bolting in the seat. This will probably give you another half an inch to an inch of drop.

Overall, the seats feel tremendously more comfortable, not to mention the drop in height makes the car feel so much better.

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So when I click the link it says "invalid attachment". Can you link the pictures again somewhere?

I am curious about how different my 2017 base cloth seats are from your 2018 limited seats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts