Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you lower the car using springs, do you have to get an alignment done? My friend who drives a TL is doing so, and I was wondering if the same applies to our car.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
When I put my wheels on, I got an alignment...made a huge difference...the car had been drifting to the left quite a bit, but it's perfect now :)

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
There are two issues here.

The first is that to put on new springs you have to take most of the suspension apart. Alignment is done to the 10th of a degree, so you'll never get it back together (except by sheer dumb luck) aligned right, so yes you have to get an alignment.

The second issue is how lowering changes the geometry. Lowering adds negative camber. The fronts can be adjusted during the alignment procedure but installing camber bolts in the back so the rear camber can be adjusted is a good idea and they're only like $30 IIRC.

Chris

·
Registered
907 Posts
yes you do, whenever you lower your car any more than 1.5 inches an alignment is recommended.

·
Registered
907 Posts
oh and another thing, any lower than 1.5 might also require camber adjustment kits..

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok...so I hear everyone talking about cambers, but I really don't know what it is. Is it a wheel spacer, or am I totally off?

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Camber is the tilt of the wheel, as viewed from behind, from straight vertical. So if you look at a vehicle with a lot of negative camber in the back from the rear of the car the wheels will look like this /\ instead of | |. You can notice this just a little on a WRX.

Lowering the car introduces more negative camber. In the front this is cool because you want more negative camber than stock for handling purposes, and you can adjust it as well. (Do a search for alignment settings).

The rears on the other hand, have no adjustment and are just about as negative as you want them to be stock. So lowering even a little gives you a little more negative camber than you want.

The cheapest way to add adjustment is to install a "camber bolt". This is just an eccentric bolt that goes in place of the stock bolt that is just plain round. Turning the bolt adjust the angle of the suspension. This mechanism is included in the front stock.

The other way to go is "camber plates" that are part of the mount on top of the strut. This is more expensive, but more flexible.

Which way you go depends on what you want to do. If you're just putting some 1.5" - 2" lowering springs on, just go with the bolts. If you go for less than 1.5" you might not NEED adjustment, but I still think it's a good idea to get it right since the bolts are cheap anyhow. You might want the plates if you go for a full coilover setup. You can do a search on either term and find good info.

Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have recently lowered changed my suspension to KYBs and lower springs.

I noticed that the right front is about 1/2 inch higher than the left front. Is that normal?

:rolleyes:

·
895 Posts
i notice that when i raise my car from the center, i can place a jack stand underneath the right side, but under the left side of the car the height is slightly lower so the stand doesn't rise up as much as on the right side. true for all wrxs? or is my car just tilted

·
Registered
104 Posts
this is what some negative camber will do to tires.

the inside will wear down faster if you dont have a camber kit on a dropped car. this one was dropped about 2.5" the camber wore the tire down to the steel.

(looking from the rear at the pass. side tires) your wheels are like this \ \ (exaggerated) if you have negative camber, camber kit makes the wheel more vertical | |. lifting the car would make it like this / /.

you see alot of hardcore japanese drifters have mad neg. camber. less of the thread is in contact with the ground, and also there is less chance of them catching the sidewall of the tire and ripping it off as they go sideways.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GV27 -- thanks for the extensive explanation.

Penguinking said:
i notice that when i raise my car from the center, i can place a jack stand underneath the right side, but under the left side of the car the height is slightly lower so the stand doesn't rise up as much as on the right side. true for all wrxs? or is my car just tilted
Maybe the ground isn't leveled. Have you considered that?

·
Registered
907 Posts
TRex_downunder said:
I have recently lowered changed my suspension to KYBs and lower springs.

I noticed that the right front is about 1/2 inch higher than the left front. Is that normal?

:rolleyes:
did you have a shop install them? cause thats not normal, it does take some time for the new parts to settle in, but 1/2inch off on one side could cause problems. I would think its a installment issue, probably forgot to put in a bump stop or something...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts