ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I was curious if it was possible to lower the car and still have a comfortable ride for everyday driving? I only ask this because when i had my civic, i lowered it with coilovers an struts. But.. the downfall was that it seemed to be a bit bouncy regardless of having the struts.
I really want to be able to eventually lower my 06 WRX, but I am afraid that i'll get the same type of ride as my civic. In that case- I'd rather keep it stock.

Thanks in advance,
Keith

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
I feel like my Prodrive springs on my '02 did a nice job of helping performance, lowering the car a bit, and maintaining a "stock-like" ride.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have a set of prodrives on my 07 wrx and they work great the ride isn't really bouncy + they don't lower the car past the working limits of the stock struts. I had them installed about 2 weeks ago and haven't really been able to test them until last night i made a run out to the coast and up into the hills and all i gotta say is wow the car still rolls do to still having stock sways but it definitely feels much much better then stock by far.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've got a set of Tein H-techs and they do very well for comfort/handling on the street. Had them about 2 years now. It's not much of a drop, but they're very easy on the wallet and work great with the stock struts if you wanna run them.

·
Registered
842 Posts
no personal experience with prodrives, but everyones saying their not too bouncy and they give the perfect gap IMO.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Tein SS c/o's worked for me, however they give a taut ride. It's not bouncy, nor is it as stiff as the FLEX.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've seen somewhere (while looking for and dreaming of getting new parts for the rex) there are some type of coilovers that you could hook up with an electronic control that you could adjust the damping force at a touch of a button. So I guess that would work for a comfy ride or a stiff ride.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I've seen somewhere (while looking for and dreaming of getting new parts for the rex) there are some type of coilovers that you could hook up with an electronic control that you could adjust the damping force at a touch of a button. So I guess that would work for a comfy ride or a stiff ride.
^ Tien EDFC (Electronic Dampening Force Control). ya i've dreamed of the same part. That would allow you to control the adjustable dampening of the struts without leaving the car, but wouldn't really change the ride to anywhere near stock.

·
Registered
0 Posts
While I have no direct experience with Tein's EDFC system, generally just turning down the damping on coilovers will not magically give you a comfy ride. While it won't be as stiff on a softer setting, you still have very stiff springs. In my experience, you can end up with a bouncy ride if you pair stiff springs with dampers that are set to a softer setting. This is probably the cause of the OP's bouncy ride in his Civic - his dampers were not stiff enough to handle the spring rate he had.

Judging by everything I've read, Prodrives and STi take-offs are some of the best options for a comfortable lowered ride. (I personally have coilovers, but I don't mind a fairly stiff ride. It is not, however, bouncy, because I keep the dampers at a moderately stiff setting most of the time.)

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
While I have no direct experience with Tein's EDFC system, generally just turning down the damping on coilovers will not magically give you a comfy ride. While it won't be as stiff on a softer setting, you still have very stiff springs. In my experience, you can end up with a bouncy ride if you pair stiff springs with dampers that are set to a softer setting. This is probably the cause of the OP's bouncy ride in his Civic - his dampers were not stiff enough to handle the spring rate he had.

Judging by everything I've read, Prodrives and STi take-offs are some of the best options for a comfortable lowered ride. (I personally have coilovers, but I don't mind a fairly stiff ride. It is not, however, bouncy, because I keep the dampers at a moderately stiff setting most of the time.)

+1 on the EDFC - I have it

note the uber leet ninja mounting skills?
It's not a huge level of adjustment - although it is 16 levels(optional 32, I have the instructions in my desk at work) - the damping rate can be noticed when you change it if you are driving over bumpy/segmented pavement. Usually I keep it all the way stiff or darn close, the only time I put it towards the softer side is when I find myself dealing with small bumps ... even then it's not a huge difference. Still, it's noticable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts