Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Bought my 02 WRX in August and been fixing problems since I got it, but i recently ran into an issue and I've never experienced this before. The past few days, Ive started my car and the Brake light + the battery light come on and my voltage gauge reads 10v and all my accessories are dim. Eventually after driving for about 5 minutes, the voltage will come back and it all goes away. Well now today it stayed on all the way home and never went away, then i pulled in my driveway and revved it up to about 5500 to 6000 and most of the voltage came back to 12v even though it usually sits around 13.5 to 14 and the lights went off and everything seems fine but then i popped the hood and right at the connector on top of the alternator was glowing red. Does my Alternator just going bad and need to be replaced? or is it something worse? Please Help, I dont want to replace an alternator and find out im still having the same issue.

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
I've never in all my days seen an alternator actually glowing hot. My guess is there is a dead short and the alternator is likely shot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,314 Posts
I'd probably disconnect it from the harness and test it with a multimeter or you can probably get it tested in the car at Advanced.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
P=VI. Lower voltage but same power draw yields higher amperage. If your voltage regulator is bad this could be what is causing the red glow. On my old Honda, the VR was inside the alt casing. I replaced just the VR. ??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I went and got the alternator tested. Had a bad battery and alternator. I just ordered the alternator and got a new battery. So she's a driveway ornament until the new alternator comes in.i have a few pictures and a video of it

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all of you. Hopefully after replacing the alternator all will go back to normal

I've never in all my days seen an alternator actually glowing hot. My guess is there is a dead short and the alternator is likely shot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
I'd probably disconnect it from the harness and test it with a multimeter or you can probably get it tested in the car at Advanced.
P=VI. Lower voltage but same power draw yields higher amperage. If your voltage regulator is bad this could be what is causing the red glow. On my old Honda, the VR was inside the alt casing. I replaced just the VR. ??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts