ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 WRX wagon. The only mods are intercooler hoses, the elbow in the inner fender that get rid of the baffle, and a K&N filter in the oem airbox. My car has just over 120,000 and the motor has gone bad. I change the oil and use Mobile One full synthetic. I have also changed the oil in the trans and rear. I'm not posting this to rag on the car. I still love the thing. I am just very disapointed that the motor has gone bad with this low millage. My wife and I bought the car new because we thought they where reliable. I will be taking the motor out of the car this Friday to see what came apart. I'll keep you posted. What is the best option for a new motor? Used, rebuild my motor, referb. Thanks.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Have you owned the car since new? My 2002 started failing the leakdown and had turbo death prior to 100,000 miles on the clock, but I bought the car used, and have attributed it to improper care by previous owners.

We have a number of people with some impressive mileage on stock engines. Some of them have documented here.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Capt. Obvious here.....

You did do all the suggested maintenance on it right? And when did you change the timing belt? I only ask as you state the mild mods, and that you changed the oil.... what else was done?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Belt, water pump, and the pullies where changed at 100k. I have owned the car from day one. I figure it is just bad luck of the draw. The car still has the original clutch in it. It has not been driven that hard.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got the motor out of the car and it has a bad rod bearing. SUCKS. Lookin for a new motor. Or get mine rebuilt. Anybody have any suggestions. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,204 Posts
I just got the motor out of the car and it has a bad rod bearing. SUCKS. Lookin for a new motor. Or get mine rebuilt. Anybody have any suggestions. Thanks.
On the cheap find a wreck. For more $ look into a hybrid motor plus management. The hybrid at this point, with 2.5L block and your existing heads, probably makes more $en$e than paying slightly less for a 2.0L block. Ask around to see what challenges you could face with smog and/or other inspections in your area before deciding though.

·
2,580 Posts
Aw.. I was hoping to join another low mileage club as the thread title indicates.

:turns around and walks away:

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
I'm thinking that Andrew may be the President of our actual "Low Mileage Club", given that he has a mint 2003 WRX with 4 digit miles on the clock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts