ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My low fuel warning light comes on when I have an 1/8 of a tank left. Is this normal? '08 owners do you have the same issue? The car has done this since I got it. I'm also getting pretty bad gas milage, 16mpg, but thats a discussion for another day. As far as the fuel light goes, once that light goes on doesn't it mean your running on reserve gas? Last time it came on I decided to just wait until it got down closer to E but a few miles after the light came on at an 1/8 of a tank it started to idle strange. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
105 Posts
my fuel light comes on around the 1/8th of a tank area (half way between E and 1/4). usually i can only get about 13 gallons in when i fill it up with the light on, which means i've got over 2 gallons left (or it's just impossible to fully fill the tank, not sure).

·
Registered
0 Posts
1/8th of a tank is pretty low on fuel... sounds like the right time to me

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess it was just unsure b/c all of my pervious cars (all 2 of them) the light has gone on on E or very close to it. Thanks for the feed back

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
1/8 of a tank is emtpy:screwy:, when you get down that low your putting the fuel pump under stress. On top of that your driving a brand new car, why would you ran the car dry. When it gets to a 1/4 fill it up. Why risk the chance of running out of gas and having to walk to the station and buy a can?
As far as 16mpg, how do you drive? The first few days i had my car i ran the tank out in a day and a half.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1/8 of a tank is emtpy:screwy:, when you get down that low your putting the fuel pump under stress. On top of that your driving a brand new car, why would you ran the car dry. When it gets to a 1/4 fill it up. Why risk the chance of running out of gas and having to walk to the station and buy a can?
As far as 16mpg, how do you drive? The first few days i had my car i ran the tank out in a day and a half.
Got it, I must be :screwy: for thinking E meant empty and 1/8 meant 1/8:) kidding.

16mpg, I don't really drive the car that hard, regardless of how hard or economical I dive the car the mpg gage stays pinned at 15.9 by the time I'm at half a tank. Right not I'm just about at a 1/4 of a tank and I think I've driven 140 miles approximately, which I don't think is very good, but I have no clue.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
it probally wouldnt effect mpg either way...im unsure on that very strange. i get 280 per tank on average. mostly highway, and some spirted driving. Unless you drive hard alot i would consider having it looked into from a dealer, just to save your wallet on fill ups. Its rated 19 city so its not too off but you say its pinned at 15.9, doesnt seem right.

·
Registered
36 Posts
lol yea my gas light came on at 1/8 to, and im getting 24 mpg and it gos up every day i drive lol shooting for 30mpg:tongue:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I wouldnt trust a mpg gauge. Calculate it yourself using the same pump at the same gas station every time.

Having about 2-4 gallons left at low fuel lamp illumination is pretty normal as far as i've seen.

·
Registered
89 Posts
yeah that gas mileage is pretty poor... but just for good practice try and keep your car above 1/4 if possible, simply ensures your pump isn't sucking air through it and potientally burn up your pump, also don't "top-off" gas (ie keep trying to get the last bit of gas in their after the pump clicks off) if you overfill your tank like this most of that extra gas gets burned off through the evap system since it ends up in your charc vent canister... the evap system will just cycle these vapors through the intakes when conditions are right.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I keep hearing all these crazy mpg #'s. People saying they get 24mpg always in the boost?? :eek: If this is true I have to believe there is something wrong with my car. I burn through gas sooooo fast and I'm NOT driving like I'm trying to win a World Rally Championship. I'm definitely not getting anywhere near 200 miles on a full tank. I have a service scheduled for the beginning of December so I guess I'll ask about it then.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
I keep hearing all these crazy mpg #'s. People saying they get 24mpg always in the boost?? :eek: If this is true I have to believe there is something wrong with my car. I burn through gas
There have always been a wide range of mpg's reported here for the WRX, regardless of year. Personally, I think many people with leadfoots are just completely unaware of it, or can't admit it to themselves. Every day, I see people racing 50 yards from one stoplight to the next, as if that makes any difference. I save the boost for when I can enjoy it (freeway on ramps, passing someone, etc), and I get 26mpg in my Stage 2 '02 wagon. Strangely, my VF34'd sedan got 27mpg pretty regularly, over the same kind of driving. :screwy:

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
I get 26mpg in my Stage 2 '02 wagon.
im a leadfoot and i still get 22-28mpg on my stock 2.0L, ive heard stage 1 cobb might get me better mileage? i dont understand how an 08 could get that kind of mileage:confused::confused:

·
Registered
211 Posts
mpg gauge

have you tried to reset your trip meter? that will reset the mpg gauge. and if that doesn't work... try to stay in vacuum.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There have always been a wide range of mpg's reported here for the WRX, regardless of year. Personally, I think many people with leadfoots are just completely unaware of it, or can't admit it to themselves. Every day, I see people racing 50 yards from one stoplight to the next, as if that makes any difference. I save the boost for when I can enjoy it (freeway on ramps, passing someone, etc), and I get 26mpg in my Stage 2 '02 wagon. Strangely, my VF34'd sedan got 27mpg pretty regularly, over the same kind of driving. :screwy:
Believe me man I hear what your saying about people with leadfoots and racing between stop lights but thats not me. A lot of my driving is on the highway and when I am in "city" I'm not in boost most of the time. I just feel like 16mpg is really low for the way I drive if people are talking about getting 20 and higher.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts