Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I'm a new Subie owner in San diego. it's the first Subie I've ever had it's an 08 STI hatch. 157k miles on it.

so I'm pretty much retarded when it comes to mechanical issues but I started putting my nose into this after I got my car. so after 3k miles of driving the car, i decided to buy an AP and an SF intake and airbox. I installed those and after started data logging. I noticed that I'm only getting 8 psi when I heard I'm supposed to get 14.5psi stock! so I did a little research and saw that maybe my electric boost solenoid might be bad. so I checked it and found out all the vac lines are not connected!

now I will get this fixed asap but I just want to know how did this affect the car? how did it run without those lines? :whoa:

sorry if my question is stupid but I'm just new to this, also sorry for my bad English it's not my first language.

·
Super Moderator
10,941 Posts
It made low boost, I would suspect the car was returned to stock and sold to you. I would have some basic health checks done on the vehicle now to ensure you didn't buy a lemon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
at 157K, I would definitely get a checkup of routine maintenance and good once-over at a Subaru mechanic. It's a bit late in the game to add mods unless you plan on having it rebuilt sooner rather than later.

Also at that mileage, the water pump and timing belt need done if they have not already.

·
Æternum
15,538 Posts
Please post your DAM (Dynamic Advance Multiplier).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply guys, yea I think you guys are right. I will take it to Subaru garage and do a full diagnostic just to be on the safe side. and the DAM is actually always at 1 and there is no feedback knock while i'm WOT on 4th gear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE:
So i went to Subaru El Cajon this morning to drop off the car for an oil leak, those missing vacuum lines and for an overall checkup. and so this is what they found, of course, they tried to include everything in the list of problems and here they are:

"pedal bracket broken on firewall $1040 BODY SHOP
power steering pump leaking $800 IN STOCK
strut tops ripped $520 IN STOCK
radiator hoses swollen $200 IN STOCK
control arm bushings torn $490 plus alignment $89.95 IN STOCK
fender liners and under tray missing $443 IN STOCK
boost solenoid hose missing $100 3 DAYS SPECIAL ORDER
oil leak coming from wrong plug installed in head, can attempt new plug but may need new cylinder head. if so, vehicle will not be able to be driven until repaired"

i'll try to do all these fixes when I have the money. but my question is if you had to list them from the most important to the least important fix. how would you list them and why?

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
Personally I would do the vacuum lines and fix the oil leak first.. but if the head is messed up where the plug goes you're talking a few thousand dollars to replace it, which is a lot of money to spend on a car with so many miles.

Vacuum lines are cheap, so I would do those yourself just buy a generic one and cut it to length. You can pull up a diagram showing how they should go online and it will be pretty straight forward. For the oil leak at the spark plug I would take the car to a reputable Subaru shop in your area, not a dealership, and see what their take is on it.

The firewall tear where the clutch bracket attaches is a well known problem and not easy to fix. If the clutch is still working fine you might be able to put that off for a little while, but I wouldn't wait too long because you don't want to let it get any worse.

I would go ahead had have a shop do a compression test on the engine before paying for anything else (if they didn't already do that). If you have low compression in any of the cylinders I would take a step back and try to decide whether it's going to be worth the cost of fixing at this point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Personally I would do the vacuum lines and fix the oil leak first.. but if the head is messed up where the plug goes you're talking a few thousand dollars to replace it, which is a lot of money to spend on a car with so many miles.

Vacuum lines are cheap, so I would do those yourself just buy a generic one and cut it to length. You can pull up a diagram showing how they should go online and it will be pretty straight forward. For the oil leak at the spark plug I would take the car to a reputable Subaru shop in your area, not a dealership, and see what their take is on it.

The firewall tear where the clutch bracket attaches is a well known problem and not easy to fix. If the clutch is still working fine you might be able to put that off for a little while, but I wouldn't wait too long because you don't want to let it get any worse.

I would go ahead had have a shop do a compression test on the engine before paying for anything else (if they didn't already do that). If you have low compression in any of the cylinders I would take a step back and try to decide whether it's going to be worth the cost of fixing at this point.
Yea thats exactly what i did i asked them to fix the leak for now and the vacum line is a t-shape with a restrictor pill inside so i can't really put any hose in there so i got that too. i'll also do the compression test and see what happens from there honestly, i feel like the guy before me really abused the car but can't complain...

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
I really hope you didn't pay too much for this car. It sounds like a basket case. Most of the time, a blown up motor at 100k miles or slightly less is a good sign of abuse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts