ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey everyone i have a 02 wrx with 10k on the clock and i just installed a turbo XS BOV and a auto meter boost gauge but it seems like i'm boosting low comparing to my friend.

1st gear spike: 10lbs
2nd gear spike:12lbs
3rd gear spike:12lbs
4th gear spike:12lbs
5th gear spike:13lbs/14lbs

this seems low in comparion to my friend 04 wrx his is

1st gear spike:12lbs
2nd gear spike:14lbs
3rd gear spike:14lbs
4th gear spike:14lbs
5th gear spike:15lbs

i'm not sure why i'm spiking and holding less than him, any thought here guys or am i just over concerned? thanks

p.s. he also has a STI axel back exhaust

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the only difference between his and mine and the year and he has a STI axel back exhaust. i just don't know if the 2lbs difference is a big deal.

·
Moderating U!
6,318 Posts
Where do you have the autometer boost gauge tapped into? Is it at the BOV, or in the front of the motor. If it is at the BOV, did you use a plastic or metal vaccuum "T". And if so, is it nice and secure and are you sure it doesn't leak. If it does leak, you will never get a correct reading.

Also, when the car is off, does the boost gauge rest at zero?

Did you use a new gasket between the BOV and the intercooler? Does the car idle fine, or does the idle go way down after you tap the gas?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KurleeDaddeeWRX said:
Where do you have the autometer boost gauge tapped into? Is it at the BOV, or in the front of the motor. If it is at the BOV, did you use a plastic or metal vaccuum "T". And if so, is it nice and secure and are you sure it doesn't leak. If it does leak, you will never get a correct reading.

Did you use a new gasket between the BOV and the intercooler? Does the car idle fine, or does the idle go way down after you tap the gas?

Hold that thought for a second and i'll go outside and find out, thanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KurleeDaddeeWRX said:

Ok here;s what i got, i have the little white plastic T taped in to the front of the car.(taped into where that little round circular thing is,kinda looks like a mini,mini bov), sorry about my knowledge on wrx's.

when the car is off the auto meter reads at the very bottom of "0", almost at -1 vaccum but just bearly at the 0.

i didn't use a new gasket, the car has 9000 miles on it so i just added the BOV, now that i think of it i'm sure if there was a factory gasket between the 2. my friend took off the old and tighen the new one on.

the car does idle fine and there is no sputtering at all.

i have 3 shims(washers) between the BOV, the less shims the more sensitive the BOV is. 6 is the least sensitive, 1 is the most.

thanks again for the help here, it's driving me nuts.
:(

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So am i right to assume that if i'm down a few PSI from factory boost, if i bought a electronic boost controller and let say set it for 15lbs of boost. then that would take care of my lower factory boost problem?

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
if your friend has the OEM gauge and you have an aftermarket one it could just be a difference in where you get you signal. the OEM gauge gets is signal from the ECU...which gets its signal from the WG (I think).

·
Registered
61 Posts
blarg said:
if your friend has the OEM gauge and you have an aftermarket one it could just be a difference in where you get you signal. the OEM gauge gets is signal from the ECU...which gets its signal from the WG (I think).
Right and wrong.

If you have different gauges and different cars you surely going to get different readings.

The OEM gauge does not read anything from the ECU, it is a mechanical gauge.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
02 wrx sleeper said:
So am i right to assume that if i'm down a few PSI from factory boost, if i bought a electronic boost controller and let say set it for 15lbs of boost. then that would take care of my lower factory boost problem?

we both have auto meter gauges, mine are the ultra light series and his are the sport compact series. i appreciate all the thoughts and reply's guys, but do you think about my question from above, thanks.:)

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
ok well fine...if you have access to a UTEC of an accessPORT and don't mind wasting 2 flashes you can use either one of them to get real time boost off the ECU

·
Registered
96 Posts
Since it seems like you are lacking 2 PSI in all gears, I think you should look into adjusting the wastegate arm. Go do a search on it. I used to have the exact same problem as you. After I tighten the wastegate arm 3 turns, I got the missing 2 PSI back in all gears.

I think adjusting the wastegate arm is the 'magic blue pill' for those who what to find the missing PSI's.

·
Moderating U!
6,318 Posts
Does your friend also have an aftermarket BOV on his car? Like I said above, take off your BOV, put the stock one back on and re-try your boost readings. It will only take you 15 minutes at the most to take off the aftermarket BOV and put the stock one back on. A lot of people have had problems with leaky aftermarket BOV's, and that could be the case.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
OH MY GOD,THANK YOU!!!!!!! fixed it and it feels like a whole new car, it now spikes at 14lbs from 1st threw 14th and every few times it hits 15lbs in 5th, i ended up doing 2 full turns.

i have one last question, when people talk about getting a boost controller and setting it for 15 to 15.5 safely is that spike boost or holding boost? thanks:)

·
Moderating U!
6,318 Posts
02 wrx sleeper said:
OH MY GOD,THANK YOU!!!!!!! fixed it and it feels like a whole new car, it now spikes at 14lbs from 1st threw 14th and every few times it hits 15lbs in 5th, i ended up doing 2 full turns.

i have one last question, when people talk about getting a boost controller and setting it for 15 to 15.5 safely is that spike boost or holding boost? thanks:)
How did you fix it? What did you turn 2 full turns?

·
Registered
61 Posts
It seems that he turns the wastegate arm.

I'm having problems with boost coming late. I installed a MBC (bleeder) and I don't get full boost until 4000-4500 rpm in third but when I push it harder, WOT in 4th, I get fuel cut. (the boost gauge is reading no more than 15psi).

Could this be a "overadjusted" wastegate arm?
How could I know if I have the OEM turbo? (I get the car used six month ago)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
KurleeDaddeeWRX said:
How did you fix it? What did you turn 2 full turns?

i did the wate gate 2 full turns that was recommended from above and it did wonders for the lost few lbs of boost that i was missing.:)

·
Moderating U!
6,318 Posts
02 wrx sleeper said:
i did the wate gate 2 full turns that was recommended from above and it did wonders for the lost few lbs of boost that i was missing.:)
Wow!!! That's excellent news! I am glad that worked for you. And thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
KurleeDaddeeWRX said:
Wow!!! That's excellent news! I am glad that worked for you. And thanks for sharing.
it was sooooo easy to do also, it tool longer to take off the heat shield than it took to do the actual job. i'm glad i could help someone else out also being a noob to tuning subaru's. i've been tunning honda's for 18 years so this is something new.

on a side note this is a great forum, so many people willing to help out even when the noobs ask the same old questions, thanks guys and take care.
:wiggles:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts