Subaru WRX Forum banner

Low Boost 2013 WRX

8K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  aortizme 
#1 ·
Hey guys!

So, I have a 2013 Subaru WRX hatchback and I have been having these weird boost issues. Right now, I have the stage 2+ SF tune on it with the Cobb accessport. So I have a catless downpipe and an invidia exhaust along with the Cobb intake. I have been noticing that I'm only hitting about 13psi peak boost. I was having this same issue even with the stage 1+ tune. I have checked the throttle body to TMIC coupler and changed that out to a Mishimoto coupler. That still didn't help. I had it smoke tested, but without boost, and no one could find any leaks. I'm just not sure what else this issue could be stemming from. I'm supposed to be hitting ~18psi and I'm like 5psi away. I also like in Colorado at around 6,200ft elevation, but I don't think it would effect it that much.

Please help???

#3 ·
At 6200', your car won't hit close to the target boost at sea level.

If target boost is 18 PSI at sea level, that's 14.7+18 = 32.7 PSI MAP (2.22 PR)

At 6500', the ambient pressure is ~ 11.6 PSI, so MAP should be 2.22*11.6 = 25.7 PSI or a target boost of 14.1 PSI.

Seems like that altitude (and depending on the temperature and other comps) could yield a boost of ~13-14 PSI and still be "normal."

#4 ·
I realized that this is not exact. Because the FLOW through the engine is also reduced at altitude, the engine may be able to target a higher pressure ratio. This is dependent on the compressor map (not public for the VF52). Short: the actual target MRP may be closer to 15.5 PSI compensated. Of course, there are additional compensations for IAT and ECT plus it depends on which gear you are in.

#6 ·
Do a log in 3rd gear 3000 RPM through 6000 RPM (be safe please) and log the following and nothing more:
1. RPM
2. Load
3. Throttle Position
4. Boost (manifold relative pressure)
5. Boost Target
6. TD Boost Error

Post the resulting CSV file here.

Also, per XJman's post -- please be clear on which map you are running (91 or 93 octane).

#9 ·
I read the notes for the map that I'm using and that's what it said though.

The map is 2013 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX MT STAGE 2 + SF MAP

Here is the map description verbatim:

DESCRIPTION
Stage2+SF 91 MTv331 High Waste Gate - Intended for an otherwise stock 2013 Subaru WRX MT vehicle running a turbo-back exhaust with a high-flow catalytic converter and COBB Tuning SF intake system. 91 or 92 octane fuels. Boost Targets: ~18.0psi peak boost pressure tapering down to ~13.0psi by the 7000 RPM redline, +/- 1psi. Higher wastegate duty cycle. Use if regular mapping produces less than desired boost levels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.