Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This ticking noise has gotten gradually louder over the past week. I am getting worried and am gonna take it in this weekend. Can someone tell me what the problem seems to be? I'm pretty sure this is not a good sign.... I will attach video below

·
Registered
80 Posts
How many miles?

Usually ticking that gets louder is not a good sign...that's how my engine with 69K went. Rod knock and spun bearing was my symptom.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ticking noise coming from the engine when it's running or turned off?
How many miles?

Usually ticking that gets louder is not a good sign...that's how my engine with 69K went. Rod knock and spun bearing was my symptom.
Also the weird thing is is that I started it up this morning and for the first 10 seconds the idle sounded like normal and I had a huge sigh of relief and then all of the sudden tick tick tick tick.... it'll tick and then stop for a second and then tick for 10 seconds and then stop for a second. I want to say it's a bad valve and that maybe I need a valve adjustment? I have no idea.

·
Super Moderator
11,436 Posts
Video no worky perhaps an idler pulley.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a link to a video with another Subaru that has The same EXACT sound coming from the same exact spot.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7mOEx3zaiTg
Does it get louder as you press the gas?

I know mine got louder within couple weeks and much louder with the gas pedal is pressed
I uploaded my video from last year about a week before Subaru confirmed the bent rod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i10rDLFGxr8
It gets louder when I press the gas it sound almost identical to yours.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I drove it and it's leaking coolant everywhere and eventually car overheated like crazy and I had to shut it off. Water pump?

·
Super Moderator
11,436 Posts
Well I drove it and it's leaking coolant everywhere and eventually car overheated like crazy and I had to shut it off. Water pump?
Leaking from where?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm having the same issue to me it sounds like a loose lifter which I believe they can fix, it doesn't get louder for me and the OP but yours sounds a little different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sorry you are the OP my bad lol have you taken it in yet? I have an appt on the 17th r really think it's a minor issue by being a loose lifter which they can adjust out

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Leaking from where?

I'm having the same issue to me it sounds like a loose lifter which I believe they can fix, it doesn't get louder for me and the OP but yours sounds a little different

It doesn't get louder just faster**

Sorry you are the OP my bad lol have you taken it in yet? I have an appt on the 17th r really think it's a minor issue by being a loose lifter which they can adjust out

The car was dropped off yesterday they said they would look at it today. I'm guessing the coolant problem is separate from the ticking noise. I keep changing my mind on what I think it could be but I'm pretty sure the coolant line to the turbo ruptured where I didn't see. I told them to take the oil pan off and check for metal shavings just so I can have peace of mind about the weird noise coming from the engine, the ticking or knocking sound. I JUST BOUGHT THIS CAR AND DO NOT WANT TO DROP A NEW BLOCK IN. Especially when it has an ej255 with only 25k miles on it with an extremely conservative tune. Since it has no coolant I told them not to start it at all. Once I find the coolant leak is fixed, I'll have them take a better look at the ticking noise next. It all depends on what they say today so I will update tonight. it could be anything from spun rod bearing, bad lifter, or bad valve who knows. All I know for sure is I'm probably gonna have to take a loan out to get this fixed...

·
Super Moderator
11,436 Posts
The car was dropped off yesterday they said they would look at it today. I'm guessing the coolant problem is separate from the ticking noise. I keep changing my mind on what I think it could be but I'm pretty sure the coolant line to the turbo ruptured where I didn't see. I told them to take the oil pan off and check for metal shavings just so I can have peace of mind about the weird noise coming from the engine, the ticking or knocking sound. I JUST BOUGHT THIS CAR AND DO NOT WANT TO DROP A NEW BLOCK IN. Especially when it has an ej255 with only 25k miles on it with an extremely conservative tune. Since it has no coolant I told them not to start it at all. Once I find the coolant leak is fixed, I'll have them take a better look at the ticking noise next. It all depends on what they say today so I will update tonight. it could be anything from spun rod bearing, bad lifter, or bad valve who knows. All I know for sure is I'm probably gonna have to take a loan out to get this fixed...
You learned why we tell people not to buy a modified Subaru

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
Best of luck with this, Gavin. If it comes down to it, there are places such as flatironstuning that tend to have great deals on blocks, both built and stock.

If you do have to go the build route, I'd suggest at least going with forged pistons this time around.

Again, Good luck! Hope it's something simple.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Could you please respond to this when you find the ticking so I have a good guess for my car? Same noise

·
BooSTIng
2,288 Posts
This x1000. Unfortunately for you, you already have the car. I hope that it is something simple like a pulley or something. Best of luck to you, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Best of luck with this, Gavin. If it comes down to it, there are places such as flatironstuning that tend to have great deals on blocks, both built and stock.

If you do have to go the build route, I'd suggest at least going with forged pistons this time around.

Again, Good luck! Hope it's something simple.
Could you please respond to this when you find the ticking so I have a good guess for my car? Same noise

This x1000. Unfortunately for you, you already have the car. I hope that it is something simple like a pulley or something. Best of luck to you, and keep us posted.
Good news and EXTREMELY BAD NEWS I think. Car had a coolant leak leading to the turbo fixed in a jiffy. Bad news is cars sound got way worse and I lost power going back to college less than 2 miles away. The sound is atrocious and the car will die if you let the Rpms drop fast, like engaging clutch. Car read knock lean on accessport of -11.75/0 which I know is not good at all. It's either a bad lifter or spun bearing. Wow let me tell you this is not at all fun and is complete hell. I have to drive this car 1000 miles, or suppose to, in 4 weeks. I'll upload videos on YouTube and attach below so you can all listen and give input.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts