Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

Some please explain to me why my WRX damn near snaps my neck when I do a hard 1-2 shift when running thru the gears. What causes it and how do I make it go away? Is it hurting anything suspension/drivetrain wise? Am I just an idiot with an AWD car for the first time and have no clue what I am doing? (that last one I do realize is an open door for flaming)

Thanks!

travis

·
Registered
416 Posts
ff2_emtb,

Stop shifting the way you are! The WRX is an AWD car. There is a LOT more stress put on the drivetrain when you just drop the clutch into a gear, whether it be 1 or 2. I think the noise is the center differential actually hitting the underside of the car. I may be wrong in this but I do know that its NOT good.

To prevent it, just give the engine a second for the RPMs to drop so they are appropriate for the next gear. You can also just slip the clutch a little bit when you are shifting into 2nd. The only drawback to this is that you are creating more clutch wear than neccessary. The best way is to just give everything a second to wait for the RPMs to drop. I would say only slip the clutch when you are racing!

The clutch basically becomes a wear and tear item on an AWD manual transmission. Its either replace the clutch or replace the tranny! The clutch is far cheaper and will probably need to be replaced eventually anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I noticed it jumps a lot when u shift from 1-2 in the higher RPMs too. If you put a diffrent high perfomance clutch in would it help any? Or is it just a fact of life with owning an AWD car?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts