Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I drive my car for 20 minutes or more and park it for more than an hour or two, I have to crank it for what seems like forever (4-8 seconds) before it will start. It has been very cold (15-25degF) around here lately, but this started when it was around 45-50degF outside.

Has anyone else had to crank there brand new car a lot to get it to start? Should I be worried? I'd hate to have to return my car to stock and take to the dealership for something silly like this!

-Jim

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had something similar to this happen with my Civic Si. With that car all you had to do is let it 'prime' for a sec before cranking. That is to say, just turn the key to run, let the fuel pump go for a sec until is stops, then start. My Si started like a champ every time after I started doing that. This was under varying climates.

But, it could very will be cooler temps too.

I guess the questions would be, does it do that in warmer temps?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Since it has been cold lately, mine has been reluctant to start when the engine is cold. But it does start right away when I give it some gas. Maybe you have something there about letting the car sit in the "ON" position to allow the fuel pump to work. I'll have to try that later.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I thought of that last night, priming the fuel system that is. Sounds like a good plan. I was just getting in and turning the key right away. A stop at the on position before starting the engine should save me from all that cranking. I'll let you know how it goes.

-Jim

·
Registered
228 Posts
Plat if THAT doesnt work good for you ( works for my grand am tho!) Turn the key to on and listen for the fuel start up... and then turn the key OFF, and then to ON once more for another fuel start up.. and THEN start!!!! That works even better in my dads lumina!

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
same stuff here platinum...

my car does the same thing, especially now that it is 30 degrees or less in the morning (i think it was 20 this morning)

not all the time, but i have noticed it enogh times to think on it. i'll try the tip from above with the ignition, but i wouldn't prime it too much with the pedal, as this thing is injected. it wouldn't take much to flood it.

even though she cranks a bit longer (like 4 to 6 seconda here too) she always does start... so i don't think there is a problem.

good call on this topic though.

dR

·
Registered
306 Posts
Mine too. I noticed that few weeks ago. Last week it was really bad once. But I have to add that it starts right away fro the first time in the morning but if I drive it to work or anywhere else and drive it again 2 to 3 hours later, that's when it takes longer than usual to start it. I had that "problem" with other car. Never thought much of it, never was a real problem. I think....

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't think this is "normal" but as long as it starts you should be okay. If you don't want to remove your mods to take it in I would wait until you have a few other little problems that need to be taken care of under warranty and do these all at once. I would definitely have it looked at before the warranty expires. I had the problem one time, and one time only when I first got the car. Hasn’t happened since.

Shawn

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
no way

no way it's the battery. if you are cranking and not turning over its the starter. there is no way a battery could be supplying enough power to crank, but not fire.

dR

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Everyone,

I think this has more to do with the fuel system taking a little longer to prime and purge in cold weather because if I prime the system by waiting for the pump to stop and then hit the key again it fires up IMMEDIATELY. It's like crank, crank, vroom (Less than half a second).

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. If you experience this problem I would recommend doing the same thing. It saves your engine from cold cranking, which is really hard on any engine, not to mention the battery and starter!

-Jim

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine seems to start fine when it's real cold (<35-40f),
But sometimes cranks a bit when it's 40-50f or so...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: no way

dark_rex said:
no way it's the battery. if you are cranking and not turning over its the starter. there is no way a battery could be supplying enough power to crank, but not fire.

dR
I understand what you are saying dr. I'm just telling you what Subaru said. Doesn't make sense to me either.

Bill

1 - 14 of 14 Posts